C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What to look out for when buying a Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 03:31 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Default What to look out for when buying a Z?

Hi guys. Hard to believe but I may be able to get into a Z in a couple of months. I’m going to check a 91 out over this weekend that is in storage. It has about 58k on the odometer. Just wondering what to keep an eye out for as far as problematic issues. I know the old saying of everything around the engine wearing out except the engine itself but want to make sure I’m thorough.

I’ve been through the valley on a 91 replacing coils, plug wires, gaskets, and vacuum lines but that was 12 years ago and I haven’t seen an LT5 since then. Also, given everything checks out and for the mileage what’s a fair asking price by the seller? They’re asking $17,500. Red with saddle interior.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:53 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

There is a buyers guide on the registry. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...yersGuide.aspx

Someone may know the car your looking at on the forums.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Hi guys. Hard to believe but I may be able to get into a Z in a couple of months. I’m going to check a 91 out over this weekend that is in storage. It has about 58k on the odometer. Just wondering what to keep an eye out for as far as problematic issues. I know the old saying of everything around the engine wearing out except the engine itself but want to make sure I’m thorough.

I’ve been through the valley on a 91 replacing coils, plug wires, gaskets, and vacuum lines but that was 12 years ago and I haven’t seen an LT5 since then. Also, given everything checks out and for the mileage what’s a fair asking price by the seller? They’re asking $17,500. Red with saddle interior.
Where is this ZR-1?
Is it advertised?

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-28-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RichS
There is a buyers guide on the registry. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Market...yersGuide.aspx

Someone may know the car your looking at on the forums.
That's a great source. I've been over on the site but never made a login name.

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Where is this ZR-1?
Is it advertised?

It's a small dealer, I just happened to stumble across an ebay ad while window shopping that happened to be local. Here's the link to the website with the car:

https://www.webbermotorsllc.com/chevrolet-corvette-zr1

Guy said it's in storage and for how long I'm not sure.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

That's a great source. I've been over on the site but never made a login name.

It's a small dealer, I just happened to stumble across an ebay ad while window shopping that happened to be local. Here's the link to the website with the car:

https://www.webbermotorsllc.com/chevrolet-corvette-zr1

Guy said it's in storage and for how long I'm not sure.
You seem familiar having been under the plenum and as you know.....injectors, vacuum, starter solenoid, valley drain, plugs and that be it......check my signature for 5 ZR1-LT5 restorations (three 90s, one 91, and one 95). And watch out because red with tan interior are my colors

The price seems more than reasonable from a dealer.
It has great oil pressure and a great charge rate when started cold looking at the dash (idle seems to be settling in perfectly from 1,000 down to 800 I would assume).
Looks like a very nice ZR-1

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-28-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:13 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Car looks good, hope it all works out
Old 12-28-2017, 08:18 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dynomite
You seem familiar having been under the plenum and as you know.....injectors, vacuum, starter solenoid, valley drain, plugs and that be it......check my signature for 5 ZR1-LT5 restorations (three 90s, one 91, and one 95). And watch out because red with tan interior are my colors

The price seems more than reasonable from a dealer.
Looks like a very nice ZR-1
Thanks, I know who to bug now when I get one. I'm trying not to get my hopes up just yet. But it's beautiful from the pictures. If this guy's available on Saturday to pull it out of storage to let me check it out, I'll see if I can take some additional pics.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

It's priced to sell. Might not dawdle too long! Injectors (alcohol issues) would be top of the list. Vacuum lines, which you know isn't a difficult nor terribly expensive item. Starter solenoid needs servicing soon. A fuel pressure leak down test is in order and fuel pressure check. The rest is C4 stuff which you know well.

Hope it works out for ya. You'd be a welcome member of the ZR1 NetRegistry club.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-zr-1-a.html

Welcome and Good luck, once you own one you’ll never go back.

H

Last edited by ccmano; 12-29-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:44 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Check the floor for cracks or holes.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:07 PM
32valvesftw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How?

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Check the floor for cracks or holes.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 32valvesftw
How?
Cracks or holes of consequence are easily seen when looking from underneath the car. Looking especially near the "jacking points" indicated on the rocker panels.

If the the jack(s) used were either in the wrong location, or had a "cup" that was to wide to be contained on the frame's "pinch weld", the fiberglass floor pan can have cracks or even holes in it.

A fiberglass repair kit is all that is necessary to make repairs - no big deal, far as repairing goes. But, left undone, water could get in and damage the carpet in the foot well.

It's a "C4 thing". It's not a big deal to fix: not uncommon either, as a general rule.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:39 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

That car is sold....OP did you buy it?
Old 01-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by 32valvesftw
How?
Look underneath the car with a flashlight?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
That car is sold....OP did you buy it?
Unfortunately, it was not me. I got shot down by the credit union on a classic car loan a few Saturdays ago. Kinda sucks as I had a vehicle loan paid in full with them no problem prior but the classic car loans must be a little more strict. Plan was to get prequalified then go check it out. I didn’t want to be a tire kicker wasting the guy’s time to pull it out of storage. Good news is I don’t have a whole lot I need to do before that “no” becomes a “yes” in the next few months and I can get one. That one really stings as the price per the pictures was amazing.

I have another one I’m watching that’s been on sale for a while.....and I’m going to remain tight lipped about its as I’m a little paranoid to mention details as I suspect one of our very own may have scooped this one up after I posted it. Congrats to whoever got it: money talks and bullshit walks and in a couple of months I’ll give it another try.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:25 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Unfortunately, it was not me. I got shot down by the credit union on a classic car loan a few Saturdays ago. Kinda sucks as I had a vehicle loan paid in full with them no problem prior but the classic car loans must be a little more strict. Plan was to get prequalified then go check it out. I didn’t want to be a tire kicker wasting the guy’s time to pull it out of storage. Good news is I don’t have a whole lot I need to do before that “no” becomes a “yes” in the next few months and I can get one. That one really stings as the price per the pictures was amazing.

I have another one I’m watching that’s been on sale for a while.....and I’m going to remain tight lipped about its as I’m a little paranoid to mention details as I suspect one of our very own may have scooped this one up after I posted it. Congrats to whoever got it: money talks and bullshit walks and in a couple of months I’ll give it another try.
Plenty of nice cars out there,with money in hand you will find a nice car.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:36 PM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Try lightstream.com. They are part of Suntrust. They approved my ZR1 loan in less than an hour. Then again I only did about 2/3 of what I paid on loan which was about 50% of book value.

Get notified of new replies

To What to look out for when buying a Z?

Old 01-08-2018, 03:31 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by biggiefl
Try lightstream.com. They are part of Suntrust. They approved my ZR1 loan in less than an hour. Then again I only did about 2/3 of what I paid on loan which was about 50% of book value.
I used to work with SunTrust. Their risk profile is moderate and they’re very conservative on their lending guidelines. Which is amazing considering how many low to moderate income areas their branches are in, coupled with their “not enough loans being made” attitude with their bankers. After being in sales with them for four years, I’ll tell you they’re a tough nut to crack if asking for a loan. We pushed lightstream to people when it first came out as a quick and easy way to apply but people didn’t understand their requests went to the same underwriters as if applying in branch. I’ll definitely give the credit union another go around but no more hard pulls on credit for a few months.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, guys! I’ll have one before 2018 is over.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Hey man I give you props on not being a tire kicker. The world needs more people like that. You'll find the Z
Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I my opinion now is the time to buy. We may have reached the bottom of ZR-1 pricing. With a strong economy and more disposable income the generation that coveted these cars when they were new is now getting to the point where they can afford one. Give the limited number of these cars price should start to rise. We can only hope.
H

Quick Reply: What to look out for when buying a Z?