C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Pre Purchase Inspection- Southern California (Orange County)

Old 12-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Saoirse32
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Purchase Inspection- Southern California (Orange County)

Hi All,
New to the corvette world, owning a few Porsche Turbos. I have my eye on a ZR-1 that is coming for sale. I’d like to do a pre purchase inspection before purchase. Can you learned men suggest any solid places? The local dealer was a suggestion but I’m loathe to go there. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:23 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Some basic information about the car would be a big help. Is it a driver or has it been stored with very low miles? What year is it? Dealer or private seller... are service records availible?

I would call Corvette Mike's in Anaheim and ask them if they have somebody there that can help you or point you in the right direction.

Their are some other shops locally but I don't remember who they are.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Saoirse32
Hi All,
New to the corvette world, owning a few Porsche Turbos. I have my eye on a ZR-1 that is coming for sale. I’d like to do a pre purchase inspection before purchase. Can you learned men suggest any solid places? The local dealer was a suggestion but I’m loathe to go there. Thanks in advance.
AND, you'd be correct to avoid dealerships - unless they have a mechanic who just happens to own a ZR-1.

Best bet would be if some Z and FORUM member here could take a look. And, the deepest pool of ZR-1 fanatics and expertise - hang out at the ZR1 NetRegistry (club) forum. You'd wanna post over there too.

Hans Meyer just recently posted a heck of a checklist ("ccmano"). It would be worth it to copy/print it for reference regardless of who you engage to inspect it.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:29 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
AND, you'd be correct to avoid dealerships - unless they have a mechanic who just happens to own a ZR-1.

Best bet would be if some Z and FORUM member here could take a look. And, the deepest pool of ZR-1 fanatics and expertise - hang out at the ZR1 NetRegistry (club) forum. You'd wanna post over there too.

Hans Meyer just recently posted a heck of a checklist ("ccmano"). It would be worth it to copy/print it for reference regardless of who you engage to inspect it.
Agreed! The check list Paul refers to is here...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ed-zr-1-a.html

I also agree that Corvette Mikes is probably your best bet. I just moved from Corona CA in February. Unfortunately there are no shops that I can honestly say know their way around a ZR-1 well. Stay away from the guy in Riverside, Corvette Specilty. American Heritage Performance in South Bay is another honest shop but with little ZR-1 experience. Cunningham in Temecula is well known and good but has no interest in Z’s. I tried him several times to no avail.

There is, once again, a growing number of active Z owners in the area. It was real quiet for a long time. Check out some of the posts here and at ZR1.net forum. You’ll find several that have recently posted. Ultimately your best source for support will be fellow owners and these forums. These guys might be fun to meet...

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28352

H

Last edited by ccmano; 12-30-2017 at 09:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
American Heritage (01-05-2018)
Old 12-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Saoirse32
5th Gear

For reference, this is the car...

http://www.dcmotorcars.com/vehicle-d...ca-id-18398714
Old 12-30-2017, 03:06 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

With 300 miles on a 90, it will likely need:
1-fuel pumps and sender, as I bet the existing one has so much rust you will need to clean the tank bottom.
2- 16 injectors
3- tires for driving
4- new fluids, all

it obviously has been running as it has been emssions tested at least three times in the last year, so that tells me a lot, and it's all good, except perhaps for the last fail, but if original injectors, not surprised

The car is priced such that the above work once done still leaves it very well bought.

Good luck; NICE find!
Move ahead.
Write the check.

Marty
Old 12-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Marty's list pretty well covers it from my point of view. Its likely you found one of those ZR-1s somebody stashed away thinking that it could become the next 3 to 400K Barrett Jackson mid sixties NCRS big block.

You have an opportunity to buy a near new car for a fraction of what the first buyer paid for it when adjusted for inflation.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:27 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
With 300 miles on a 90, it will likely need:
1-fuel pumps and sender, as I bet the existing one has so much rust you will need to clean the tank bottom.
2- 16 injectors
3- tires for driving
4- new fluids, all

it obviously has been running as it has been emssions tested at least three times in the last year, so that tells me a lot, and it's all good, except perhaps for the last fail, but if original injectors, not surprised

The car is priced such that the above work once done still leaves it very well bought.

Good luck; NICE find!
Move ahead.
Write the check.

Marty
I agree with Marty.

The SES and Infl Rest lights are on. With the SES light on the secondaries won’t work, no “full power”. That may be the reason the light is on. You will need someone who knows what their doing to sort that out unless your a “get your own hands dirty” kind of person. There is more than enough info here and over on ZR1.net forum to resolve that. The infl rest light is normally easy to resolve for someone willing to look up the issue and follow simple directions.

If you plan to drive the car expect other things to happen. Oil leaks, ac issues and such. Cars can’t sit for 27 years and then suddenly be perfect.

The price is reasonable but for that money I would want a car with no issues and in full running condition.

$26 - $27K would be where I would feel comfortable knowing it will need work.

Btw, DC is not far from Corvette Mike. Maybe you can take it there for an inspection.

Good luck, keep us posted.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 12-30-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

It says "automatic" but shows six speed

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

And, the deepest pool of ZR-1 fanatics and expertise - hang out at the ZR1 NetRegistry (club) forum. You'd wanna post over there too. I would say the same great pool is here also....we all hang out together on both forums

That is a great list with a few observations

Originally Posted by ccmano
I'm sure I missed few but here you go.
Known major issues ZR-1 some related to higher miles some not.
Injectors If originals usually I install new RC Injectors
Vacuum leaks If vacuum pump cycles every few seconds you can run it but do have vacuum leaks which are caused by hardened rubber connectors
Secondaries operable You can check by grounding pin #17 in ECM
Ingnition coils and wires replaced about 25% of time and original LT5 wires are about $300 if you want (cheaper Ebay Wires are $70)
Timing chain noise (normal to a small degree on 90's) Not an issue but I do use Amsoil 10W40 engine oil
Starter Usually the Points need shining up on the Solenoid but Starter is bottom of valley and clean valley drain while you are there
Oil leaks especially the pan and oil cooler lines I install my own SS Oil Cooler Lines with Aeroquip Fittings but tighten all Injector Housing Bolts when you are under Plenum
Fuel pumps Never had fuel pump issues on several LT5s
Is it throwing any engine, abs or body codes (multiple possibilities here) Usually Infl Rest which is only saying ground needs regrounding on Left and Right Sensors but Air Bag will function in any event
Are any DIC lights on. (Multiple possibilities here as well)No Issues here usually
Is the adjustable shocks system working No Issues here either but I have couple sets of new shocks just in case
Windshield delamination I had one ZR-1 with BAD Delamination and replaced windshield ($1,500 windshield furnished to SafeLite Autoglass and $150 perfect installation)
A/C functionality (compressor is unique to the Z, cooling capacity lower) 95 is R34.....90'-94' R12 which you can get R12 on Ebay
Power switch functionality and keys (are there 2) Power switch can easily be restored to perfect functionality
Transmission syncro's, (first gear is always noisy) shifter alignment can mimick synco problems. Never had Transmission issues but ZF Doc did restore one Black Label Trans for me which I installed in 95' (Blue Label Original Trans)
Clutch functionality (they all let in high, was it ever changed)If you are doing clutch or Transmisison....I install Roller Bearing Pilot Bearings in ALL Zs
Egr system on later models No Issues
Engine mounts No Issues but if lots of drag racing maybe will sooner or later damage engine mounts

C4 Issues
Head lights operable Some replace powdered gears with Brass Gears
Radiator blocked or simply clogged, electric fans operable I install Aluminum Radiators in ALL Zs (Fluidyne, Ron Davis, Dewitt as well as NEW 180 deg Thermostat)
Wheel bearings No issues but I do check for play
Suspension bushings No issues but some get softer ride replacing hardened old bushings
Condition of all door, top and hatch seals Some have issues and replace as they like
Glass roof cracking Rare issues
Instrument cluster functionality especially the tach (tends to read high with age) also note the lighting of the cluster. Rare issue
DIC button functionality I have taken apart and used pencil eraser to clean up contacts to complete functionality
Steering wheel excessive movement No issues
Radio functionality (especially speaker amps) and antenna Often it is speaker amps which I get 95-99 Nissan Max Sigma 975 amps for $5 at Pull Your Parts for replacements
Sport seat functionality (transmission, switches, pumps and bladders) Sometimes but not a BIG issue
Door window switches No Issues
Door window lifter and internal rattles No Issues
Fuel tank bladder collapse (results in small capacity)No Issues
Differential noise (whine) No Issues but I do install Differential Drain and use Mobile 1 75W-90

H
I Also Block TB Coolant at the Injector Housings making it super easy to remove Plenum without using anything on Plenum gaskets and not having to torque the Plenum SS Allen Head Bolts I install a bit over hand tight. I also install Starter Relay under the ECM (I think Paul started that great idea).

Also.....I install ALL new Fluids including original GM Green Coolant, Amsoil 10W40 Engine oil, Mobile 1 75W-90 Differential, and Castrol 10W-60 in the ZF S6-40 Transmisison (remove filler Allen Plug FIRST).

Hans Meyer has pretty much covered everything and I would say a great list but do not get scared because Hans and myself are a bit perfectionists

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-30-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Saoirse32
5th Gear

So checked out the car today but did not drive it as it would start but then stall repeatedly after about 5-10 seconds. Seller claims Bosch fuel injectors done. I found some history of the car doing some simple research, and after I was told the owner bought the car at the auction...thoughts?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Arch...TTE-ZR1-195737
Old 01-02-2018, 09:36 PM
XLR8TIN
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Saoirse32
So checked out the car today but did not drive it as it would start but then stall repeatedly after about 5-10 seconds. Seller claims Bosch fuel injectors done. I found some history of the car doing some simple research, and after I was told the owner bought the car at the auction...thoughts?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Arch...TTE-ZR1-195737
Sounds like fuel pump issue with stalling out, normal
Old 01-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Saoirse32
5th Gear

Agreed. They claimed they just put approximately $2k into it at Corvette Mikes. Waiting to see all the records...
Old 01-05-2018, 04:07 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

We have worked on several Zr1's over the years:

We work on all year Corvette's. Our specialty is C5, C6, C7's but we have more than a lifetime of experience on the C2's, C3's and C4's.

We do anything from General Services (brakes, etc...), Diagnostics (headlights, electrical, etc...) to full race builds (we have an in House 902s Engine Dyno and are a full automotive racing machine shop).

We are located in Harbor City (near Torrance/Palos Verdes/Long Beach/Pedro).

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/american-he...ce-harbor-city

https://www.google.com/search?source...102874b9e7a2,1,,,
Old 01-05-2018, 04:36 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8TIN
Sounds like fuel pump issue with stalling out, normal
Yes....I would also say Fuel Pumps.........

Originally Posted by American Heritage
We have worked on several Zr1's over the years:

I mentioned American Heritage on the ZR-1 Registry Forum as there is a current survey searching for C4 ZR-1 Repair Shops Nation Wide

American Heritage is most likely aware of the Tech Info - LT5 Modifications/Rebuild Tricks (500+hp) Sticky at the Top of this C4 ZR-1 Discussion Section

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-05-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Drbobzr1
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
Default Corvette mike

My experience with Corvette Mike was terrible..I went to them as I wanted to have the best shop work and document on my low mile (17,000) ZR! car I purchased. They misquoted, charged extra, when the work was done and I picked it up, only to find out they didn't test drive it . it didn't run any better...THEY DIDN'T EVEN TEST DRIVE IT AFTER PLENUM/INJECTOR SERVICE..... they apologized and wanted me to give them a chance to correct the problem. I did.....They told me it was a bad TPS, (TPS was replaced with new delco by me) only to find out that the TPS connector was them problem ..This was a 1600++ repair for injector and plenum removal and they didn't test drive it..(I know, hard to believe)......The worst part was when service manager (carl) tried to tell me he he spent 4 hours diagnosis and it should cost an extra 4-500 dollars.....Since then I have found many people have had issues with
Corvette MIke...I would not recommend this business as they have no accountability
The following users liked this post:
whalepirot (01-14-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:51 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drbobzr1
My experience with Corvette Mike was terrible..I went to them as I wanted to have the best shop work and document on my low mile (17,000) ZR! car I purchased. They misquoted, charged extra, when the work was done and I picked it up, only to find out they didn't test drive it . it didn't run any better...THEY DIDN'T EVEN TEST DRIVE IT AFTER PLENUM/INJECTOR SERVICE..... they apologized and wanted me to give them a chance to correct the problem. I did.....They told me it was a bad TPS, (TPS was replaced with new delco by me) only to find out that the TPS connector was them problem ..This was a 1600++ repair for injector and plenum removal and they didn't test drive it..(I know, hard to believe)......The worst part was when service manager (carl) tried to tell me he he spent 4 hours diagnosis and it should cost an extra 4-500 dollars.....Since then I have found many people have had issues with
Corvette MIke...I would not recommend this business as they have no accountability
Wow! That is a clear example of what "should not" happen when you go to what appears to be a "reputable shop".

The fact they didn't test drive the car after completing the work tells me they have little interest in maintaining the level of workmanship that any specialized shop would set as a standard operating procedure.

Is the Z now fixed? Or, does it still need some attention to correct anything that was not remedied?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Drbobzr1
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

yes the Z is fixed and runs like it should Now!!!

but just to be real clear, Not driving the car after replacing the injectors and r/r the plenum is beyond stupid. Corvette mike said they
had the discussion with the "mechanic" , so my attitude was Ok that's
a mistake and stuff happened...

The real issue I had with Corvette Mike was there attitude. Seems like Carl the service manage said my problem was the TPS, and he had 3-5 hours additional hours invested in a diagnosis, and told me his time was worth about $500.00 or so additional dollars. He had the absolute nerve to tell me that , but what he didn't know was I bought a a/c delco tps and map sensor a week earlier and installed it. It was $130.00 for both parts and figured It was a good idea..... When I picked up the car there was
a new connector wired and TPS... I told him there was 3 additional trips I had made and if he had done it correctly the first time, I wouldn't have had a $70 dollar uber drive to pick up and the extra back and forth to drop it off the second time.. He was such a hard nosed money guy..............
Now for the punch line. When I got home I re-installed the TPS he said was bad......My z ran fine and still has that (new/old)TPS in it. It was the factory CONNECTOR that was bad. So not only did I pay the high price of $1700 or so dollars to put injectors in which id definitely needed, and wanted a know shop with experience and documentation , I made 3 back and forth trips when it should have been only 2, and then had to deal with an old Corvette guy with an over valued sense of himself that had the nerve to flat out lie to me.
I am glad for this forum as others should know what goes on
thanks for reading...
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Yes....I would also say Fuel Pumps.........

I mentioned American Heritage on the ZR-1 Registry Forum as there is a current survey searching for C4 ZR-1 Repair Shops Nation Wide

American Heritage is most likely aware of the Tech Info - LT5 Modifications/Rebuild Tricks (500+hp) Sticky at the Top of this C4 ZR-1 Discussion Section
Thank you for the shout-out out on the ZR-1 Registry!

We are always glad to work with the Zr1 community!!!

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Get notified of new replies

To Pre Purchase Inspection- Southern California (Orange County)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pre Purchase Inspection- Southern California (Orange County)