C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Great price on lower mileage White 91 Z...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Great price on lower mileage White 91 Z...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Chevro...19.m1438.l2649
Old 01-14-2018, 01:22 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd buy it...but these cars make me nervous as it seems not many mechanics will touch one. What if the Optispark went bad?

What if you had a spun main bearing?

Are there any mechanics that know how to work on one?

What's this about the Cam Tensioners going bad...Injector's...Al Dunn Heads?
Parts...gaskets...etc??

Thanks!

Last edited by BlackRocket; 01-14-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:28 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
I'd buy it...but these cars make me nervous as it seems not many mechanics will touch one. What if the Optispark went bad?

Parts...gaskets...etc??

Thanks!
You should be nervous considering you don’t know what your talking about.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:32 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

What if you had a spun main bearing?Extremely rare

Are there any mechanics that know how to work on one?yes

What's this about the Cam Tensioners going bad...Injector's...Al Dunn Heads?Extremely rare regarding Cam Tensioners and Injectors maybe replace if originals and there are a few with double Dunn Heads (I have one 95 with both Dunn Heads)
Parts...gaskets...etc??Jerry's gaskets has everything at very reasonable prices and delivers in two or three days where ever you are

Thanks!
If you do a top end possibly replacing Injectors that are outdated and recondition the Starter Solenoid (including cleaning the Valley Drain) you are good to go for a very long time. A couple other items include the Infl Rest Warning light which is easy to fix and finding vacuum leaks in the secondary system. I always start out with complete Fluid Change.

The LT5 is a very reliable engine and lots of fun to work on/modify and just have fun driving the ZR-1 around or cross country.

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You should be nervous considering you don’t know what your talking about.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-14-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Parts...gaskets...etc??

Thanks!
It’s one thing to make comments like this on other pages where the average person knows very little about these cars but to talk nonsense and to further bolster the myth about the ZR-1s in a negative way on this forum,not a good idea in the least. If you knew anything about these cars like we do you would not have posted that. What you posted makes no sense and what’s the issue with AL DUNN heads,do you even know why the term DUNN HEADS is even brought up in a conversation? Not trying to be an arrogant jerk here but misinformation like this is one reason prices for Zs is in the toilet. This car that the OP posted is a nice car at a smokin price. My 91 is pushing 24,000 miles and I would starve and hold down 3 jobs to make ends meet before I would even consider anything close to that price. Somebody will ****** that car up and it’s not the last we’ve seen of it. These cars are so difficult to work on,I work on it myself. When the injectors died I never once thought about who was going to fix the car. The first this I did was jumped on the forums and got some advice,bought a FSM and dug in,I work on my cars,don’t trust anybody else. There’s nothing internally on the motor that goes out. And the injectors your referring to are the same injectors used on the L98.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Parts...gaskets...etc??

Thanks!

I’m not one to pile on, but with the possible exception of finding a mechanic your statement could not be more wrong. My Z with 181k miles is a good example. Till now all original and dealer maintained till 2009. Sure it’s had repairs over it’s 27 years and many miles, all in the maintenance category. What cars that have survived that long haven’t?

For your information, ZR-1 don’t have an Optispark system, that’s the LT1
Spun bearings are exceptionally rare and are available if they do.
Chain tensioners do not go bad. The ones on 90’s have an inconsequential rattle at cold start.
Injectors do go bad, particularly on 90’s, however replacements can be found at any auto supply. What 27yr old cars don’t have injector issues?
Dunn heads were simply a supplier change by the factory and possibly an improvement on some of the 95 models, if anything they flow marginally better than the previous supplier heads.
Parts and gaskets are supported by several suppliers specifically for the LT5. As noted Jerry’s Gaskets and Mark Haibeck are primary suppliers.

Most of all the national support community for the ZR-1 and its Owners is like nothing you have ever seen. There is literally nothing, no technical data, no spec, no repair procedures, no parts source that is not happily shared.

As you have observed people get touchy when these common misconceptions are thrown around. As was pointed out it is these attitudes (in our opinions) that keep the ZR-1 from becoming the the classic we feel it should be.

I see your in Vacaville. I’m in Reno. There is a small group here and in the Sacramento/Bay Area. Some of us plan to get together this spring in the Sacramento area. I invite you to join us and learn more about these unique cars.
H
Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 AM
blackbelt
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this car is right down the road from me. If anyone is intetested I'd be happy to go check it out for you! I been considering it myself to match my Black 91 ZR-1 but no room.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:16 AM
blackbelt
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Parts...gaskets...etc??

Thanks!

do some research... I spent hours reading about these things before I bought mine. I have total confidence in the LT5 and the ZR-1 community
Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

These motors are beyond the traditional concept of durable. They take the gold standard expectations we have of the traditional SBC and raise the bar. If the rest of the car checks out, this is a killer deal. The engine appearance-wise is gorgeous.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:54 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, seeing as how you owned #1673 for 5 years, me for 6, and blackbelt for another year now, and that the engine has never been cracked open for anything except gaskets...????
Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

but, to answer the OP's question...C4's will nickel and dime you to death if you aren't doing 2/3rds of the wrenching yourself. I got tired of it after awhile...I mean the car was almost perfect afterwords...I guess I finished and wanted a new project.

The other reason was the car ran sooo much better with headers, but I didn't need to deal with the smog in my zip.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:26 PM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Relisted for $16,900

Get notified of new replies

To Great price on lower mileage White 91 Z...

Quick Reply: Great price on lower mileage White 91 Z...