C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Won't pass CA smog Needs cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 AM
corvettewd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't pass CA smog Needs cats

I have been thinking about a 92 ZR-1 with 23k miles. It's a California car but according to the seller, it won't pass smog due to the cats. He says they are not available any longer so my question is what can be done? Is this true or can they be had in the aftermarket, or can they be removed and re-packed? Should I walk away or is there a reasonable fix?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:20 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

This matter has been the subject of considerable discussion both here and over at ZR1.net forum. Do a search and you will find volumes. The bottom line is you are likely failing the NOx portion of the test. It has been documented that the state of California has actually lowered the NOx criteria from new by roughly one third. A level for which these cars were never designed. They are attempting to remove older cars from the road in their adherence to their climate change agenda. You may find that a new catalyst will have little or no affect unless your failing the hydrocarbon side of the test. Some have developed strategies to pass the NOx test. This includes water injection and modifications to the tune in the Memcal chip.

Here is just one such discussion.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-chime-in.html

Marc Haibeck used to do a special emissions chip for this issue. But I don’t see it on his site now. You could call him and find out.

This is just one of the reasons I moved out of CA when I retired.

BTW is this the white one in Hemet?

Good luck
H

Last edited by ccmano; 02-24-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

youll have to get them rebuilt or find some originals
the smog ref will source them on his parts locator
Old 02-24-2018, 01:28 PM
corvettewd
Advanced

Originally Posted by ccmano
This matter has been the subject of considerable discussion both here and over at ZR1.net forum. Do a search and you will find volumes. The bottom line is you are likely failing the NOx portion of the test. It has been documented that the state of California has actually lowered the NOx criteria from new by roughly one third. A level for which these cars were never designed. They are attempting to remove older cars from the road in their adherence to their climate change agenda. You may find that a new catalyst will have little or no affect unless your failing the hydrocarbon side of the test. Some have developed strategies to pass the NOx test. This includes water injection and modifications to the tune in the Memcal chip.

Marc Haibeck used to do a special emissions chip for this issue. But I don’t see it on his site now. You could call him and find out.

Good luck
H
No, the car is in Tustin. Thanks for your input!
Old 02-24-2018, 01:49 PM
cruban
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Marc still does the chip upon request

Originally Posted by ccmano

Good luck
H
Old 02-24-2018, 01:54 PM
cruban
Advanced

You can find them, Jerry's Gaskets has several listed for starters. I've seen at least 2 sets in the past few months for sale as well. Bottom line, if cats are your problem (and I doubt it is), it's not really an issue.

Oh, and is the the 92 Dark Red metallic one Corvette Mike has consigned. I spoke with the original owner almost a year ago as well before he listed it on that site and he's been thru the ringer trying to get this car pass the smog refs, pretty much listed as not for sale in CA because of this. He was very honest about all his troubles. Given the car's documented history of problems in CA, you might want to find another.

Originally Posted by corvettewd
I have been thinking about a 92 ZR-1 with 23k miles. It's a California car but according to the seller, it won't pass smog due to the cats. He says they are not available any longer so my question is what can be done? Is this true or can they be had in the aftermarket, or can they be removed and re-packed? Should I walk away or is there a reasonable fix?

Last edited by cruban; 02-24-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:09 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I always read these posts and feel lucky I live in Texas. The "older" cars here have no smog requirement but a rational safety inspection; brakes, lights, signals...etc. $12.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:00 PM
corvettewd
Advanced

Originally Posted by cruban
You can find them, Jerry's Gaskets has several listed for starters. I've seen at least 2 sets in the past few months for sale as well. Bottom line, if cats are your problem (and I doubt it is), it's not really an issue.

Oh, and is the the 92 Dark Red metallic one Corvette Mike has consigned. I spoke with the original owner almost a year ago as well before he listed it on that site and he's been thru the ringer trying to get this car pass the smog refs, pretty much listed as not for sale in CA because of this. He was very honest about all his troubles. Given the car's documented history of problems in CA, you might want to find another.
Yes, that's the one. One of the reps there stated it was the cat or cats. I haven't talked with the owner. Guess I'll need to re-think the ZR-1 but it always was my dream to own one. Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2018, 03:04 PM
cruban
Advanced

Originally Posted by corvettewd
Yes, that's the one. One of the reps there stated it was the cat or cats. I haven't talked with the owner. Guess I'll need to re-think the ZR-1 but it always was my dream to own one. Thanks again!
I would not pass on a ZR-1 in general maybe just this car. I have 3 and all passed CA Smog with no issues this past year.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:25 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

There are a BUNCH of ZR1s in California so they all figure a work around-somehow.

Head on over to ZR1Net.com and connect with the guys. You will get your answers.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
There are a BUNCH of ZR1s in California so they all figure a work around-somehow.

Head on over to ZR1Net.com and connect with the guys. You will get your answers.
If so they must be hiding. I just got my car smogged. Bone stock,open air filter and 24,500 miles is barely got past the Nox level. Max is 540 I think and my car did a little over 500. I have to bend over backwards to get mine to pass,a few years ago my car failed twice,had to go to the referee. If the State lowers the max levels again I think it’s time for a class action lawsuit,I honestly don’t see how the State can legally continue to lower the Max limits on a car that was built to a set standard when it was new. How much is the car in question selling for? As stated cats are out there,there was an owner here in Ca that needed cats but because non were available he was able to get a waiver from the State and was able to go with aftermarket headers with built in cats. At some point I thought about playing stupid claiming my cats were bad and try and see if I could go the same route but didn’t feel like dealing with it,if there was a label set of headers I would have a set on my car already. Unless the car in question is at a price too good to pass up I’d look for another car. The cats most likely got fried because of bad injectors.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:17 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
If so they must be hiding. I just got my car smogged. Bone stock,open air filter and 24,500 miles is barely got past the Nox level. Max is 540 I think and my car did a little over 500. I have to bend over backwards to get mine to pass,a few years ago my car failed twice,had to go to the referee. If the State lowers the max levels again I think it’s time for a class action lawsuit,I honestly don’t see how the State can legally continue to lower the Max limits on a car that was built to a set standard when it was new. How much is the car in question selling for? As stated cats are out there,there was an owner here in Ca that needed cats but because non were available he was able to get a waiver from the State and was able to go with aftermarket headers with built in cats. At some point I thought about playing stupid claiming my cats were bad and try and see if I could go the same route but didn’t feel like dealing with it,if there was a label set of headers I would have a set on my car already. Unless the car in question is at a price too good to pass up I’d look for another car. The cats most likely got fried because of bad injectors.

Sue the **** out of them.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:09 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by phrogs
Sue the **** out of them.
That’s the way I see it but would have no idea of how to go about it but will look into it if it’s lowered anymore.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:41 AM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

1. There are NO new '90 or '91 catalytic converters that are commercially available. None. Zip. Nada.
2. It is illegal (in California and most other states) to buy or sell a used catalytic converter for the purposes of installing on a car.
3. The header and cat on the '90 and '91 is an integrated piece, and is unique to the LT5 motor.
4. There are NO aftermarket header/cat systems that are CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified for the LT5 motor.

If you fail a smog and it is recorded that the cats have failed and you replace the cats with a used set you bought on Craigslist, you run the risk of being fined for buying a used cat.

If you fail a smog, you have the option of taking the car to a BAR Smog Referee and request a waiver.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Refe...e_Centers.html
Once the referee approves an aftermarket solution, then go out and buy the headers and cats the referee approves for your car.
This will take time and will test your patience for government agencies.
You will also have to take the car to the referee every 2 years thereafter to verify the waiver when your car does not pass the visual inspection because of the non-CARB approved modified exhaust. It can be done and there are more than a few people who have.

Your best bet is to get the chip from Marc Haibec, and find a friendly SMOG station. If the car is stock and has no major internal issues it will pass. It might take some work, but there are quite a few ZR1's here in California that do pass.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crabs
Your best bet is to get the chip from Marc Haibec, and find a friendly SMOG station. If the car is stock and has no major internal issues it will pass. It might take some work, but there are quite a few ZR1's here in California that do pass.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Huh... I'm curious on the How and the Why it works? I know that the chip (I have one) bumps the timing and plays with the fuel a bit. Is that enough to pass the CA emmissions with no other mods?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Damn,that’s means I gotta throw away that extra set of cats I got with only 30,000 miles on them? If I were the OP I’d look for a used set of cats and put them on the car and wouldn’t even hesitate. The State knows nothing where they came from and how many miles they have. Would still like to know what the car is going for.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:17 PM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Huh... I'm curious on the How and the Why it works? I know that the chip (I have one) bumps the timing and plays with the fuel a bit. Is that enough to pass the CA emmissions with no other mods?
Another thing to watch for is HC levels. Many of us removed the CAGS system either by unplugging and capping the solenoid lead, or by modifying the chip program to eliminate it. However, one thing Marc discovered was that without the skip shift feature (which shifted the car from 1st to 4th at low speeds and throttle input) was that a shift from 1st to 2nd would spike the HC levels. When Illinois required emissions testing for these cars I used to replace my Haibeck performance chip with a stock one I had saved to reinstate the skip shift for the test. As for headers, I would certainly search for a used set of headers and cats. They are available and usually not very expensive; check with Jerry's Gaskets among others; once installed no one will be able to tell they came from another car. -Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 02-25-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Won't pass CA smog Needs cats

Old 02-25-2018, 12:21 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

The State knows nothing where they came from.
That is along my thinking... a stock set of manifold and cats will 100% pass the visual test. Other than disassembly and "measuring" the internals, I can't think of a way that you could get busted. Even meauring (How would you do that anyway?)the internals, who is to say what condition its "supposed" to be in at a certain mileage?

Get a stock set and go!

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 02-25-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:46 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Damn,that’s means I gotta throw away that extra set of cats I got with only 30,000 miles on them? If I were the OP I’d look for a used set of cats and put them on the car and wouldn’t even hesitate. The State knows nothing where they came from and how many miles they have. Would still like to know what the car is going for.
If you replace your cats with the 30,000 miles set you bought how is the smog tester going to know those are not the original cats?

Are you going to tell him? Do some numbers not match? What difference does it make?

Why would you through them away? Just sell them to somebody that wants them and save yourself the disappointment of throwing them away.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zrxmax
If you replace your cats with the 30,000 miles set you bought how is the smog tester going to know those are not the original cats?

Are you going to tell him? Do some numbers not match? What difference does it make?

Why would you through them away? Just sell them to somebody that wants them and save yourself the disappointment of throwing them away.
I was being sarcastic. I’d put a used set of cats on my car and wouldn’t think twice about it. If somebody is dumb enough to be absolutely honest with the smog police then they deserve whatever the consequences are.

Quick Reply: Won't pass CA smog Needs cats