C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Source for Bearing to Hub Torx Bolts

Old 04-01-2018, 12:05 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Source for Bearing to Hub Torx Bolts

Fellow Vetters:

i'm replacing the rear wheel bearings on my 91 and have run into a problem. After applying blue thread locker to the torx bolts that hold the bearing to the spindle hub, I disovered that I was able to pull only 55 of the 67ftlbs required on these fasteners. Apparently, old age is getting the best of me! So now I have a bunch of thread locked spindle bolts with less than the required torque. What should I do? Options: remove, clean and reinstall the bolts (with new thread locker) and then call a younger (and stronger) friend to torque them, or have the same friend just finish torquing the already-installed bolts and in the process breaking the thread locker bond?

Thank you!

Snort91Man
Old 04-02-2018, 10:37 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

At this point, once the thread lock has set for a time, you have to remove them, clean and reinstall. As for the correct torque, just get a bigger (longer) torque wrench. The bolts should be fine once you clean them.
H
Old 04-02-2018, 02:44 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thank you!

That was prety well the same thing I figured. I do have a 250ftlb wrench but I didn't think I'ld need it for 67ftlb bolts!
Live and learn.

Snort91Man

Get notified of new replies

To Source for Bearing to Hub Torx Bolts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Source for Bearing to Hub Torx Bolts