C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Noisy fidanza flywheel..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 08:48 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Noisy fidanza flywheel..

I'm sure many ZR-1 owners have installed fidanza flywheel in there car....I'm running the stock clutch with the stock disc along with a fidanza..Don't mind the noise at idle but it sounds like a buzz saw up until around 2200 RPM...

Has anybody run this set up, than went to a sprung hub disc to mitigate the noise? Wondering if I should go to the trouble of installing a sprung hub disc......

???

Last edited by zrc3john; 04-12-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM
wfot
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

What year is the z?
the 93 and later have a la4ger valley pan drain tube and i have heard that the tube can physicallyinterfer when the flywheel is spinning...
Also the tube could have been bent/hit on install and causing an interference as well...
Old 04-12-2018, 09:01 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wfot
What year is the z?
the 93 and later have a la4ger valley pan drain tube and i have heard that the tube can physicallyinterfer when the flywheel is spinning...
Also the tube could have been bent/hit on install and causing an interference as well...
Forgot to mention,91...
Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

This is a much discussed issue with no clear resolution. Same issue on my 90’. I used the sprung hub clutch disc even swapped the trans. Still had the skill saw noise. Apparently some cars get this and some don’t. I have the engine out right now and the flywheel off (for other reasons). There are no signs of interference with the drain tube. There is the outside possibility that the flywheel can set up a harmonic with the tube and vibrate against the engine block. Of note with regard the harmonic theory, I noticed that the tube fits loosely against the block on the old engine and tightly on the new one. I suppose it is possible.

More likely is a slight miss alignment of the engine/bellhousing/transmission package causing the gear set to make this noise. Bill Boudreau the ZF trans guy, feels even very slight miss alignment can cause this. My personal feeling is that there is inherent minute miss alignment to one degree or another due to tolerance stacking of the components. The dual mass dampens the vibrations, so on stock setups there is never a sound. When the Fidanza is swapped in cars with high tolerance stacking make noise, the ones with low tolerance stacking don’t. At least that my theory.

I am currently swapping engines and will leave the Fidanza in with a sprung hub disc. I’m using the brand new trans from the old engine (yes it had the noise) and the bellhousing from the new engine. I plan to secure or remove the tube (just as insurance, sometimes it’s the simple things)
We will see what happens. Sadly if the noise goes away, in my case at least, it won’t prove either theory.
H
Old 04-12-2018, 12:01 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ccmano
This is a much discussed issue with no clear resolution. Same issue on my 90’. I used the sprung hub clutch disc even swapped the trans. Still had the skill saw noise. Apparently some cars get this and some don’t. I have the engine out right now and the flywheel off (for other reasons). There are no signs of interference with the drain tube. There is the outside possibility that the flywheel can set up a harmonic with the tube and vibrate against the engine block. Of note with regard the harmonic theory, I noticed that the tube fits loosely against the block on the old engine and tightly on the new one. I suppose it is possible.

More likely is a slight miss alignment of the engine/bellhousing/transmission package causing the gear set to make this noise. Bill Boudreau the ZF trans guy, feels even very slight miss alignment can cause this. My personal feeling is that there is inherent minute miss alignment to one degree or another due to tolerance stacking of the components. The dual mass dampens the vibrations, so on stock setups there is never a sound. When the Fidanza is swapped in cars with high tolerance stacking make noise, the ones with low tolerance stacking don’t. At least that my theory.

I am currently swapping engines and will leave the Fidanza in with a sprung hub disc. I’m using the brand new trans from the old engine (yes it had the noise) and the bellhousing from the new engine. I plan to secure or remove the tube (just as insurance, sometimes it’s the simple things)
We will see what happens. Sadly if the noise goes away, in my case at least, it won’t prove either theory.
H
I remember I drove a 94 ZR-1 with a fidanza and there was the typical noise at idle, not so much in lower gears when accelerating......Dempsey did his dragon heart package with intake cams on my 91...

Car came out really good, however,my fidanza noise is more relevant than that 94 I drove....I don't think the 94 had a sprung hub disc......The car does spin up faster with the fidanza of course....

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy fidanza flywheel..

Quick Reply: Noisy fidanza flywheel..