C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

95 Corvette ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 PM
michael szekeres
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Corvette ZR1

95 Corrette with 102,000 miles. Does not start. Fuel pump was not turning on. Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter and fuse still no start. Banged the fuse box on the passenger side, I heard the fuel pump on it starts ! I’ve been told maybe the contacts on the fuse box are dirty (?)
would that be the next thing to do?
thanks for any suggestions
Old 05-21-2018, 09:26 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by michael szekeres

95 Corrette with 102,000 miles. Does not start. Fuel pump was not turning on. Replaced fuel pump, fuel filter and fuse still no start. Banged the fuse box on the passenger side, I heard the fuel pump on it starts ! I’ve been told maybe the contacts on the fuse box are dirty (?)
would that be the next thing to do?
thanks for any suggestions
Check the fuel pump fuses for corrosion and general condition. There is one for each pump. One is in the fuse box, the other is elsewhere, under the passenger dash I believe in a secondary fuse box. I would replace the FP1 fuse as a precaution. Assuming no other electrical enomalies happened when you bumped the fuse box it likely not a power supply problem to the box. More likely it’s the fuel pump relay sticking. If it’s the same as a 90 it’s located below the RH side of the instrument panel.

Also suspect would be the ground bundle at the back right (passenger side) of the engine. But as with the power supply to the fuse box other things would be affected if that were the issue.
Best of luck.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 05-21-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 PM
michael szekeres
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Corvette ZR1

Thank you ccmano, I am happy to hear you do not think it is power supply. I have replaced the fuel pump fuse a couple times. A little background, the last few years I have only been driving the maybe 3-4K miles a year so it sits a lot. Only been driving to work on nice days. Today was a beautiful day so I drove it about 100 miles stopped for lunch and after lunch it would not start. I bumped the fuse box and drove home. The car ran great both ways. I’ve been doing this trick for several years it only happens maybe once a year.
Might need a little help in identifying a fuel pump relay below the RH side. I’ll try to figure where that is. Thanks again. Mike
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 PM
ccmano
Drifting

It’s interesting that bumping the fuse box gets it going. Typically no start situations on these cars are VATS, Fuel pump or starter related. If the 95 relay is in the same place as the 90, it’s unlikely bumping the fuse box will have an affect. You may be dealing with something a bit more exotic like a loose connector or bad solder joint at the fuse box. It may not be fuel system related at all.
H
Old 05-24-2018, 03:09 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by michael szekeres
Thank you ccmano, I am happy to hear you do not think it is power supply. I have replaced the fuel pump fuse a couple times. A little background, the last few years I have only been driving the maybe 3-4K miles a year so it sits a lot. Only been driving to work on nice days. Today was a beautiful day so I drove it about 100 miles stopped for lunch and after lunch it would not start. I bumped the fuse box and drove home. The car ran great both ways. I’ve been doing this trick for several years it only happens maybe once a year.
Might need a little help in identifying a fuel pump relay below the RH side. I’ll try to figure where that is. Thanks again. Mike
Mine does that, too. Where is the fuse box? I'm mechanical challenged so a brief explanation would be appreciated.

But this is what I have observed, when I open the door the 'security' light flashes as it's suppose to do, close door it goes off. And when I turn the ignition on if the 'security' light is on, not flashing just on, it will not start, if 'security' light is off it starts. Does yours do the same?

Don't know what that means, just adding another piece to the puzzle! And hopeful someone will recognize the problem.

Also, I lost my key fob, the tech reprogramming the fob could not get it work, again, don't know if that has anything to do with not starting but something else to consider.

Thanks for the thread and maybe we can both have cars that start every time. It's embarrassing to have ask bystanders to help push start.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:35 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Originally Posted by 40ZR1
Mine does that, too. Where is the fuse box? I'm mechanical challenged so a brief explanation would be appreciated.

But this is what I have observed, when I open the door the 'security' light flashes as it's suppose to do, close door it goes off. And when I turn the ignition on if the 'security' light is on, not flashing just on, it will not start, if 'security' light is off it starts. Does yours do the same?

Don't know what that means, just adding another piece to the puzzle! And hopeful someone will recognize the problem.

Also, I lost my key fob, the tech reprogramming the fob could not get it work, again, don't know if that has anything to do with not starting but something else to consider.

Thanks for the thread and maybe we can both have cars that start every time. It's embarrassing to have ask bystanders to help push start.
What you describe is a more classic VATS issue. There are a number of possibilities as to what is causing this. Do a search on VATS problems and you will find volumes. Could be as simple as a stick door switch.
H
Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ccmano
What you describe is a more classic VATS issue. There are a number of possibilities as to what is causing this. Do a search on VATS problems and you will find volumes. Could be as simple as a stick door switch.
H
ccmano, thanks for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 Corvette ZR1

Quick Reply: 95 Corvette ZR1