C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

91 zr1 starting ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 AM
slovie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 91 zr1 starting ?

Does anyone know what the remedy was at the dealerships back in those days? I know what needs to be done now, but am very curious what they did then on the 90-92 problem. Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 11:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by slovie
Does anyone know what the remedy was at the dealerships back in those days? I know what needs to be done now, but am very curious what they did then on the 90-92 problem. Thanks
Why would you be concerned with DONE NOW vs DONE THEN - when everything is 'near new' and in prime condition the system did well. Age & miles as with anything 'performance deteriorates'.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:14 PM
slovie
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Why would you be concerned with DONE NOW vs DONE THEN - when everything is 'near new' and in prime condition the system did well. Age & miles as with anything 'performance deteriorates'.
My point is it never did work well I have never fixed the problem. let me explain further car starts and then after driving awhile shut down and then won't start for a period of time 1hr. or maybe 2 hrs. I always thought it was a battery problem but that wasn't it . If anybody knows what happened at the dealership at that time for repair what they did to solve the problem maybe a dealership mechanic could answer Thanks I know what to do now
Old 06-19-2018, 10:09 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would guess your having an issue with the starter.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My point is it never did work well I have never fixed the problem. let me explain further car starts and then after driving awhile shut down and then won't start for a period of time 1hr. or maybe 2 hrs. I always thought it was a battery problem but that wasn't it . If anybody knows what happened at the dealership at that time for repair what they did to solve the problem maybe a dealership mechanic could answer Thanks I know what to do now
As stated I doubt the issue never occurred when the car was new.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Iliad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '91 ZR-1 Starting ?

I have a '92 ZR-1 that had the condition you describe. The "no-start" problem usually starts with someone washing the engine down. The water ends up in a pool in the v in the block where the starter resides. The block does have a pin hole for water to drain out; however the hole is so small it usually gets clogged. GM had a memo for dealers to drill the hole larger to help with the draining. My car was towed into the dealership numerous times to have the battery & alternator replaced which did not solve the no-start condition. The dealership would have followed the FSM check-list for no start. This would have included the batt, alternator, clutch switch, VATS, purple wire & relays. I ended up replacing the starter which solved the problem for good. Still works after ten years!

Last edited by Iliad; 06-20-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:34 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

OK, you need to be a bit more descriptive in explaining your problem.

Are you driving along and the car " shuts down ", as in driving along and it mysteriously dies and you limp to the side of the road?

Or do you mean that after driving it and you stop and shut if off, that it will not re-start, i.e. will not crank or will crank, but won't run, for 1-2 hours?

Which is it?
Entirely different diagnosis paths based upon your answers.

Why you would want to "fix" the problem the wrong way as done years ago puzzles me like it did the other poster.

Let's start with a more complete description of what is happening and when, and we will help you get it correctly resolved.

Marty
Old 06-22-2018, 04:21 AM
RICHARD TILL
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Three times in the last 20 years i have corrected the same exact problem by pulling the plenum and cleaning the starter solenoid contacts.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:10 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

[
Originally Posted by RICHARD TILL
Three times in the last 20 years i have corrected the same exact problem by pulling the plenum and cleaning the starter solenoid contacts.
Concur

I have also installed the Relay to get direct current to the Starter Solenoid from the Battery.

See...…...
Three Things To Do For A No Start

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
That explains it perfectly

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-24-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 PM
slovie
Advanced

Default Camera view

Also can any of the small cameras view the starter under the plenum just to look for corrosion before dismantling the top, just a guess? Thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 09:27 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Also can any of the small cameras view the starter under the plenum just to look for corrosion before dismantling the top, just a guess? Thanks
That is difficult and you cannot see inside the Solenoid. It is even difficult to look at the Main Battery Connection. I would like to use a camera to view the Valley Drain but that is impossible as the valley drain is to the rear of the valley and the space around the bottom of the starter is very small. It is the points inside the Starter Solenoid that are often worn and the Solenoid top has to be removed to view the points or the movable plunger that contains the contact ring.

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-27-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 zr1 starting ?

Quick Reply: 91 zr1 starting ?