C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LSV sipping water not gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ZR1
Find out the source of the coolant loss?
yes, HG blew on #6 as suspected. My fault. I had a samco hose pop on me, and the car ran hot a few times burping and getting air out of it.

the lt5 is a durable beast but I know this car has heat cycled many times above 240 running hot with the ac on in traffic never above 245, but that's too hot and can "crush" the factory HG as Marc documented and cause some weeping. I actually think this started years ago as I have often "smelled coolant" after shutting down and could never track it down.

Not much doubt now!!

12-1 compression and years of beatings finally did it in. I'm going to use the MLS gaskets from Marc as they are more forgiving for this type of abuse which hopefully will be mitigated by some better cooling fans.

I'll for certain say, keep the beast cool and you won't likely suffer this plight, my bad.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:52 PM
wfot
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a set of new head bolts if you need them....
J
Old 08-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
yes, HG blew on #6 as suspected. My fault. I had a samco hose pop on me, and the car ran hot a few times burping and getting air out of it.

the lt5 is a durable beast but I know this car has heat cycled many times above 240 running hot with the ac on in traffic never above 245, but that's too hot and can "crush" the factory HG as Marc documented and cause some weeping. I actually think this started years ago as I have often "smelled coolant" after shutting down and could never track it down.

Not much doubt now!!

12-1 compression and years of beatings finally did it in. I'm going to use the MLS gaskets from Marc as they are more forgiving for this type of abuse which hopefully will be mitigated by some better cooling fans.

I'll for certain say, keep the beast cool and you won't likely suffer this plight, my bad.
so after looking closer at the block the bottom of the number 6 liner is pretty worn. time for sure for new liners. also need to measure the pistons to see if they will be viable.

this engine must have been sipping water and washing down some oil it's strange to see a liner worn at the bottom
Old 08-17-2018, 03:43 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,080 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
so after looking closer at the block the bottom of the number 6 liner is pretty worn. time for sure for new liners. also need to measure the pistons to see if they will be viable.
this engine must have been sipping water and washing down some oil it's strange to see a liner worn at the bottom
That LT5 has been a real warrior, Ron. Might be a good time to upgrade the head & plenum porting, while it's apart.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:07 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by USAZR1
That LT5 has been a real warrior, Ron. Might be a good time to upgrade the head & plenum porting, while it's apart.
porting is done. there was quite a bit left in the secondaries and the primaries needed some attention to open up and be more even

I've seen the "ball drop" with demps and his work is very impressive !!!

there are a few more furry ponies waiting now. I'm taking all the parts to the machine shop today, for sure 1 liner is bad at the bottom

pistons look pretty good, crank and rods are a work of art. It's a bryant crank, and pankl TI rods. JE pistons.

new liners are going in, and I'm hoping the rest of the parts are still viable. I'm also being a bit seduced at the idea of the closed deck liners.

more cost and a much longer wait for certain, but a few more furry ponies are waiting there as well.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 08-20-2018 at 05:08 AM.

Quick Reply: LSV sipping water not gas