C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

91 ZR1 Cranks But Will Not Start with Videos. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:12 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

In order to reasonably work on this car, which has a ton of unique parts and procedures, you need to have a service manual. Without one, you are pissing in the wind. Sorry if this offends the self appointed experts of this section. This is just one issue - the service manual helps with all problems!!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Of course it "helps". That is stating the obvious.

What I actually said was:
I've managed to diagnose every and all issues with it. I helped the OP diagnose this one. How? Because I know how **** works, and when you already have that knowledge your very rarely need to consult an FSM. It's good to have...but not necessary.
2. The forum is for help. Yeah, suggest the FSM....but then HELP the guy. Like I and others did? Can we come to a sound diagnosis w/o an FSM? You betcha. Why don't we do that? We did. And we didn't even have to be an "FSM Snob" to do it.
As for the "self appointed expert comment"....Did I not offer technical advice and info the helped the OP? Yes, I did. Did you? No, ya didn't. Ya just hammed about the damn FSM like a skipping record, then declared that it's indispensable which ain't true. Valuable? Helpful? Sure. But this thread and OP's diagnosis is proof that it's not entirely essential. Can we move on now, to help more posters?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:28 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
In order to reasonably work on this car, which has a ton of unique parts and procedures, you need to have a service manual. Without one, you are pissing in the wind. Sorry if this offends the self appointed experts of this section. This is just one issue - the service manual helps with all problems!!

The FSM is indispensable; sure some basic trouble shooting can be done without one. Like sending your parts out all over to be tested if that's your thing (though I'd do the same thing to verify a faulty ECM). Once your beyond the basics, you need a FSM.

Last edited by Aaron71771; 07-12-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:56 PM
darklordftt
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol, there is an ignore user feature under the control panel lolz.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by darklordftt
Lol, there is an ignore user feature under the control panel lolz.
Daaaaaaaamn,somebody need a nap?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:43 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Dynomite
I do NOT have an FSM
And all five Zs are running perfectly...…..
Wait....WHAT? HOW? That's not possible!
Old 07-14-2018, 12:29 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Did some child just ask why I didn't take photos of my service manual? Lol. Hey junior - go buy a manual after learning how to read! Lol. Bye OP! Hope you enjoy other forums!
Old 07-14-2018, 03:02 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
There are two problems with your posts in this thread:
1. "Without a service manual, you are ignorant to everything that is important when diagnosing issues on any vehicle"
^That is absolutely untrue. YOU maybe be "ignorant to everything that is important"....but *I* am not. I don't have an FSM for my 'Vette....yet I've managed to diagnose every and all issues with it. I helped the OP diagnose this one. How? Because I know how **** works, and when you already have that knowledge your very rarely need to consult an FSM. It's good to have...but not necessary.
Wrong. I'll bet your experience repairing a ZR-1 doesn't extend much beyond pulling the plenum. You helped diagnose something in this thread? You helped toss out a ton of ideas that would lead to buying fuel injectors, coils and a lot of other items that would have helped blow a ton of money and throw a lot of parts at the car instead of actually following the manual and properly diagnosing the problem. Professionals use the manual because THAT is how GM suggests how the car should be managed. Can you do something without it? Sure. That doesn't mean you should, and it certainly doesn't mean it is suggested to try to diagnose without one.

If you want to feel all high and mighty and be an internet tough guy, go ahead, but if you had a little humility, you'd realize that my suggestion to buy a service manual is inexpensive and by far the best thing for the OP in order to maintain his ZR-1.

Thanks for trying.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:45 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dynomite
do you want me to try?
ul lose
Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

You helped toss out a ton of ideas that would lead to buying fuel injectors, coils and a lot of other items that would have helped blow a ton of money and throw a lot of parts at the car instead of actually following the manual and properly diagnosing the problem.
Man, you "don't get it"...reading comprehension...helps. It would help you, a LOT. Please quote where I recommended "buying fuel injectors, coils and a lot of other items that would have helped blow a ton of money and throw a lot of parts at the car"
I don't recall making any such recommendations, but if you point out where I did, that would be great so that I can fix it. What I DID do is explain the basic operation of injectors (which the ZR-1 follows in it's primary side) so that the OP could use that information to follow a diagnostic path....very similar if not the same as you'd follow if using an FSM...but I don't HAVE an FSM. The other thing that I did is suggest some tests and tools the OP could try. What did you suggest that helped the OP??
So, as I correctly stated, it's not "necessary" and it wasn't so, in this thread. IDK WHY you keep going at this. The OP diagnosed his problem. We never cracked an FSM. That is proves your original contribution to this thread....dead assed wrong. Keep goin' though! You're looking smarter by the post!

Professionals use the manual
Really? Is that what "professionals" do? You must know that b/c you're one of those people? I don't think so. Man, I AM A "PROFESSIONAL". As such, I know how FOS you are, how little you know about what you're trying to talk about and finally, how little you know about how "professionals" do it. I do 90% of my work w/o an FSM. How? As I said WAY back in post number 79:
I know how **** works and when you already have that knowledge your very rarely need to consult an FSM
When you already know how **** works (like how injectors are powered, grounded, and fired....YA DON'T NEED AN FSM! Do you use a dictionary every time you speak to someone? No, ya don't....b/c you already know words and how to use them....right? Occasionally I can't remember a spec or procedure or I venture into new technology, so....I use an FSM....if one is available and sometimes they're not, so you work around it....like in this thread. Help from the helpful members of this forum....not the FSM shills.

If you want to feel all high and mighty and be an internet tough guy, go ahead, but if you had a little humility, you'd realize that my suggestion to buy a service manual is inexpensive and by far the best thing for the OP
Whoa, whoa, WHOA! Who's being the "tough guy" here?? You might want to go back and review your first several...no, ALL of your posts in this thread. Helpful? Friendly? Informative? Useful? No. "Tough guy". Oh yeah. I'll bet the OP would agree.

As to the value of the FSM, in your reading comprehension failures, you must have missed where I said:
having an FSM is handy
-post #71
I​​​​​​​t's good to have...but not necessary.
-Post #79
Of course it (the FSM) "helps". That is stating the obvious.
-Post #82

So you're preaching to the choir here. The FSM is good to have. It's helpful, at times. But I don't need a dictionary to type out this post....I don't need and FSM to jack up my car, either. Let it go man....you're embarrassing yourself with each post, while simultaneously not helping the OP one whit.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-14-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:34 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

LOL. Keep ranting. I don't need to write a book to illustrate who is embarrassing himself in this thread. Exactly how do you continue to argue about not using a service manual? Do everyone a favor, post where you work with the admirable technique of ignoring what Chevrolet advises in the service manual so we can all ensure we NEVER allow you to touch any of our cars, much less a ZR-1.

Seriously - I hope your good luck continues when fixing cars. If what you say is true (*IF), then you're living proof it is better to be lucky than good.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Such a sensitive lil fella! LOL. I can see the spit on your monitor! Sorry - couldn't help myself!
Old 07-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

It's obvious that you can't help yourself....you keep typing erroneous dog ****. Still waiting for you to quote where I told the OP to "buying fuel injectors, coils and a lot of other items that would have helped blow a ton of money and throw a lot of parts at the car". You said "You helped toss out a ton of ideas that would lead to buying fuel injectors, coils and a lot of other items that would have helped blow a ton of money and throw a lot of parts at the car". I asked you to quote where I said that, so that I could fix it. What happened, old buddy, DS?? Huh? Why don't you show the forums how brilliant you are, and where I said any such thing? Hmmmm, internet "tough guy"?

I don't need to write a book to illustrate who is embarrassing himself in this thread. Exactly how do you continue to argue about not using a service manual? Do everyone a favor, post where you work with the admirable technique of ignoring what Chevrolet advises in the service manual so we can all ensure we NEVER allow you to touch any of our cars, much less a ZR-1.
You'll have to quote where I said any such thing. As I stated earlier;
reading comprehension...helps. It would help you, a LOT.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:28 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Sand way up in that vagina. Ouch!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Yep, I "get it". When you can't answer a question, start with the insults. Way to be.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM
darklordftt
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick update: I'm still waiting to hear back from Marc on the ECM repair situation. I'll call him later this week if I don't hear back.
The following users liked this post:
Tom400CFI (07-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 91 ZR1 Cranks But Will Not Start with Videos. Help!

Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Quick update: I'm still waiting to hear back from Marc on the ECM repair situation. I'll call him later this week if I don't hear back.
At this point I don’t really think anybody gives a rats ***,this thread turned to **** awhile ago. Pissin people off in the Z community,not a good idea.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

I am sure Marc will fix you up. Let us know if Marc is doing ECMs . Thank you for info

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-16-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:26 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Pissin people off in the Z community,not a good idea.
Yes, the Z community (not all, but too many for sure) has shown what they're made of in this thread, that's for sure. Thread did turn to ****; in posts 61 and 64.

I appreciate the OP's update and am looking forward to more.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-16-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 91 ZR1 Cranks But Will Not Start with Videos. Help!