C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1s...By the Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts
Default ZR-1s...By the Numbers

So...I am in the market for a ZR-1. I have certain colors in mind. Black w/ Red, Polo w/ Tan, Turquoise w/ White, Quasar Blue w/ White. I'm finding plenty of Polo w/ Tan, I believe that may have been the most popular color combo for Polo. I'm not sure about the numbers for the others though and they are proving a bit elusive as far as options go. I've got the numbers for interior in X color, I've got the numbers for the exterior in X color, but I don't have the numbers for X exterior with X interior. Can anyone help me sort out how rare the colors combos I am looking for are?

91' - Turquoise w/ White
92' - Quasar Blue w/ White
91-95' - Black w/ Red
91-95' - Polo w/ Tan

Thanks,

Atari
Old 07-26-2018, 12:45 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
So...I am in the market for a ZR-1. I have certain colors in mind. Black w/ Red, Polo w/ Tan, Turquoise w/ White, Quasar Blue w/ White. I'm finding plenty of Polo w/ Tan, I believe that may have been the most popular color combo for Polo. I'm not sure about the numbers for the others though and they are proving a bit elusive as far as options go. I've got the numbers for interior in X color, I've got the numbers for the exterior in X color, but I don't have the numbers for X exterior with X interior. Can anyone help me sort out how rare the colors combos I am looking for are?

91' - Turquoise w/ White
92' - Quasar Blue w/ White
91-95' - Black w/ Red
91-95' - Polo w/ Tan

Thanks,

Atari
I wouldn't think that if 'SERIOUSLY SHOPPING' combinations would be important. I'd think you shop based on 'car condition' - location - $$$ asked. If you found 50 cars with very similar miles, condition, location and $$ asked then maybe 'rarity' enters into the mix but NOT if seriously shopping. Sounds as if you're more curious than 'SERIOUSLY INTERESTED'.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I wouldn't think that if 'SERIOUSLY SHOPPING' combinations would be important. I'd think you shop based on 'car condition' - location - $$$ asked. If you found 50 cars with very similar miles, condition, location and $$ asked then maybe 'rarity' enters into the mix but NOT if seriously shopping. Sounds as if you're more curious than 'SERIOUSLY INTERESTED'.
I'm not concerned about the rarity for value purposes. I am trying to sort out how difficult it is going to be to find the cars I am interested in. My priority is the right color and interior first, then condition. The car could be perfect, and even the perfect price, but if it's not what I'm looking for, then it doesn't matter. Example: If there are only 18 Turquoise w/ White or something like that, then it is going to be a pain to find one, once found maybe it's in bad shape or maybe the price is astronomical, if so I should look for something a little more plentiful.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 07-26-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:14 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I'm not concerned about the rarity for value purposes. My priority is the right color and interior first, then condition..
Since your priority is cosmetic in orientation, I may suggest looking at a regular C4 as you will most definity be able to get what you are looking for. Most enthusiast buy ZR1s for a combination(s) of the engine condition, mechanical condition, records, electrical.... etc. Color combos seem to be a "nice to have" and not a "need to have" as most guys will want a well sorted ZR1 first and be happy with what ever color they come in.

Nothing wrong with your cosmetic pursuit, but a ZR1 may be a tough platform for your priorities.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:33 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Since your priority is cosmetic in orientation, I may suggest looking at a regular C4 as you will most definity be able to get what you are looking for. Most enthusiast buy ZR1s for a combination(s) of the engine condition, mechanical condition, records, electrical.... etc. Color combos seem to be a "nice to have" and not a "need to have" as most guys will want a well sorted ZR1 first and be happy with what ever color they come in.

Nothing wrong with your cosmetic pursuit, but a ZR1 may be a tough platform for your priorities.
Thank you, but only interested in a ZR-1. I've had regular C4s before. Everyone has their priorities of what's important to them. Finding a great ZR-1 is easy, there are several around, but everyone has the little things that make it the perfect car.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:55 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

91' - Turquoise w/ White = 0
92' - Quasar Blue w/ White = 1
91-95' - Black w/ Red =121
91-95' - Polo w/ Tan =109

Thanks,

Atari
Here ya go

Old 07-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
Here ya go
Well those numbers certainly make it a bit difficult for the first two.

A bit confused though, is this one below not a 92' Quasar Blue w/ White interior?

https://www.autoblog.com/used-detail...-Corvette-1992
Old 07-26-2018, 02:46 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

So...did some research. Some of it provided a 'duh' moment.

White interior was not available in 1991. So 0 on any as an interior option there. And the car in the link above is likely Bright Aqua Metallic with Light Gray interior.

According to the ZR-1 Registry, when white did become available in 1992, there were only 17 Quasar blue cars made so it makes sense why the white option would be so rare.

Where can I find the breakdown of color and interior combos? I can find exterior color number and interior color numbers but not together.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Well those numbers certainly make it a bit difficult for the first two.

A bit confused though, is this one below not a 92' Quasar Blue w/ White interior?

https://www.autoblog.com/used-detail...-Corvette-1992
Gray = 6 in 92

Last edited by FASTAZU; 07-26-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:48 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

So...did some research. Some of it provided a 'duh' moment.

White interior was not available in 1991. So 0 on any as an interior option there. And the car in the link above is likely Bright Aqua Metallic with Light Gray interior.

According to the ZR-1 Registry, when white did become available in 1992, there were only 17 Quasar blue cars made so it makes sense why the white option would be so rare.

Where can I find the breakdown of color and interior combos? I can find exterior color number and interior color numbers but not together.
If you join the Registry all the information and more will be available to you.

Here is a sample of my competition yellow/white in 93 as you can see only the door panels and seats are white.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 07-26-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:12 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

If your really interested in purchasing one of these cars, get one that is well sorted out, like the previous post says....
Yeah its nice to get a rare color combo but it is more important to get one well sorted out.
Maintenance and upkeep are way more important when it comes to these cars than exterior and interior color...
Ask a local mechanic about an LT-5..He will look at you like you have two heads on your shoulders.....Thankfully there are reputable LT-5 mechanics around.....You can do all maintenance on the LT-5 if you take your time and ask questions on this site or the ZR-1 registry...
Old 07-26-2018, 09:22 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

From what I understand there are no accurate numbers on color combinations,all these numbers have been compiled by individuals. Any Z with white interior is almost a unicorn,only a handful regardless of what exterior color and I believe it was offered through 1993. There is a black-white 92 floating around with next to no miles,that would be the car to find if it was for sale. There is,was a 93 yellow-white for sale,one of 2 produced in 93 I believe. My info here is what I’ve gathered over the years is based on what I’ve read on these forums and in publications,could be wrong on some of this info but I do know as of recently the NCM has the numbers on all the numbers on color combos and from what I understand that info has never been released.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:11 PM
SteveCS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842

Couldn't disagree more. My dream car was a polo or black rose ZR-1, and I wouldn't have accepted an identical car in the wrong color under any circumstance.
The following users liked this post:
Atari_Prime (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:26 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If the color combo is very important to you, why not buy the best one with the desired exterior color and just replace the exterior colors. Then you have what you want. Of course this is disregarding a completely stock ZR-1.
The cost may not be as much as finding a very rare color combo
Old 07-27-2018, 09:08 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

My priority is the right color and interior first, then condition.
You should get the car _you_ want. I also was looking for the right color combination, and I wouldn't settle for a "better" Z in the wrong color.

And, as ZR-71 mentioned, changing out the interior is an option.

Good luck with the search.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1s...By the Numbers

Quick Reply: ZR-1s...By the Numbers