C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Anyone Know What Headers These Are?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Default Anyone Know What Headers These Are?

Wondering if anyone knows what brand these are....
Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM
tpepmeie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3

Wondering if anyone knows what brand these are....
I'm going to say Watson, but just a guess.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:14 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

These are from a 91. I have a 90. Do you know if the AIR tubes are in the same position for the 90 & 91 MY? I plan on using my AIR system and cats on my 90.
Thanks!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by tpepmeie
I'm going to say Watson, but just a guess.
OP: Thad be my guess too, John.

Watson = most familiar appearance. Also, Watsons have 1-3/4 or 1-7/8 inch primaries and 3" collectors (pretty sure).
OXB (I've only seen them powder-coated and appear very much like SW (below),
Stainless Works (come coated or un-coated, but the are NOT sectioned like those like yours) The SW primaries are 2" (IIRC) with 3" collector.
Greg Vandeventer (sp?) IIRC made some from the Watson pattern too, and they were sections welded as well.
"other"...would be pretty rare, I would think.

Regardless of who made them, if they aren't coated, I would think it wouldn't be hard to have them retro'ed to accept AIR porting modification.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-24-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:18 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
OP: Thad be my guess too, John.

Watson = most familiar appearance. Also, Watsons have 1-3/4 or 1-7/8 inch primaries and 3" collectors (pretty sure).
OXB (I've only seen them powder-coated and appear very much like SW (below),
Stainless Works (come coated or un-coated, but the are NOT sectioned like those like yours) The SW primaries are 2" (IIRC) with 3" collector.
Greg Vandeventer (sp?) IIRC made some from the Watson pattern too, and they were sections welded as well.
"other"...would be pretty rare, I would think.

Regardless of who made them, if they aren't coated, I would think it wouldn't be hard to have them retro'ed to accept AIR porting modification.
Hi paul,
Arent the ones above already fitted with the threaded ports for the AIR system? Any idea where I might find hi flow cats for our cars and also header gaskets.... Are the O2 sensor wires long enough on the ones pictured, or will I need a longer set of wires also?
Thanks, John
Old 08-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Hi paul,
Arent the ones above already fitted with the threaded ports for the AIR system? Any idea where I might find hi flow cats for our cars and also header gaskets.... Are the O2 sensor wires long enough on the ones pictured, or will I need a longer set of wires also?
Thanks, John
Hi John,
See response on the Registry FORUM regarding cats.

Far as the O2s go, you will need extensions. I simply spliced in a length of wire(s) and re-routed the wires away from the heat, and also used heat-wrap tape (from a local speed shop).
Also... I recommend you purchase a pair of new O2 bungs (Summit Racing) and install them so the O2s jut out toward the frame rails. That will really pay dividends if ever you need to replace them - don't even need to jack the car up, or to temporarily install wideband O2s to do the tuning.

If they aren't already coated, NOW would be the time to do it - or have it redone.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:46 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Paul.. the larger Watsons were 2"

I have the larger ones on my 90 (but with no air tubes)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:46 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

These are from a 91. I have a 90. Do you know if the AIR tubes are in the same position for the 90 & 91 MY? I plan on using my AIR system and cats on my 90.
Thanks!
If the owner of the '91 that you mention these were removed from says ' no issues with AIR' then you need to trust what he mentions I suppose.. The '90 - '91 manifold/cat were the same. Those headers look to also have the EGR provision for later LT5.

You don't have these 'in hand yet'? Your snapshots or those provided by the seller?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-27-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:58 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
If the owner of the '91 that you mention these were removed from says ' no issues with AIR' then you need to trust what he mentions I suppose.. The '90 - '91 manifold/cat were the same. Those headers look to also have the EGR provision for later LT5.

You don't have these 'in hand yet'? Your snapshots or those provided by the seller?
No, I dont have them... the pics are from the seller... hes been very nice in providing pictures and answering questions.... Problem is shipping costs push the deal into the OBX realm... which for the same price would include cats and gaskets... Im having a hard time deciding which way to go. OBX dont have the AIR tubes, but thet do have cats and are stainless...
Old 08-27-2018, 03:29 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I believe OBX are a bit shorter than the Watsons as well. OBX headers showed up online about 1 month after I bought my Watsons.. I don't regret my purchase, the Watsons are Ceramic coated, which I would have done with OBX anyway.. then cats ETC.. if you look you can find 3" bullet cats for around $120 for the pair
Old 08-27-2018, 05:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

No, I dont have them... the pics are from the seller... hes been very nice in providing pictures and answering questions.... Problem is shipping costs push the deal into the OBX realm... which for the same price would include cats and gaskets... Im having a hard time deciding which way to go. OBX dont have the AIR tubes, but thet do have cats and are stainless...
Packed correctly I can't see the shipping being an issue. Quality I'd think would swing to the Watsons - you want to retain AIR so that job is done. I've never seen any OBX so I can't comment regarding them but mine (I was told Watson years ago) are identical to yours I'd say. My left is like the snapshot, the right also but I don't have the extension. My tubes measure 1.78 +/-.. It would cost I'd think much $$ to add the AIR to anything that didn't have them.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-27-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:59 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Ok, fasteners... what are you all using for fasteners? If I remember correctly, I used most of the ones that came out of the original manifolds..... I think the shorter ones, then I used some allen head bolts I purchased separately.... its been a long time though..... What are you guys using?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Know What Headers These Are?

Quick Reply: Anyone Know What Headers These Are?