C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Finally clawed my way into the group

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:34 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Hell yeah, very nice Z. These cars came out when I was graduating high school and I always wanted one. I grew up in the "they haven't made a Corvette since 1967 mentality". Congrats and drive it.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:17 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by High School Goat
Out of curiosity what what is the number on the car? It looks familiar.
Not around it at the moment but I can check when I’m home. I first knew of it from a for sale ad on Autotrader in Bluffton SC. I watched it for a while a year or so ago until it finally sold. Then it popped up on Ebay a few times for sale in GA and got a bunch of low ball offers but was a no sale.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:16 PM
High School Goat
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette

Not around it at the moment but I can check when I’m home. I first knew of it from a for sale ad on Autotrader in Bluffton SC. I watched it for a while a year or so ago until it finally sold. Then it popped up on Ebay a few times for sale in GA and got a bunch of low ball offers but was a no sale.
Yeah just the last 4 of the VIN.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:49 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by high school goat
yeah just the last 4 of the vin.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats on the car! Drive it and enjoy it!
Old 09-12-2018, 10:22 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Have seen your posts on this forum for YEARS!
Very happy to hear that you have found your Dream Car!
Congratulations and best of luck with it!
Now drive and enjoy it!

Marty
Old 09-13-2018, 03:30 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Have seen your posts on this forum for YEARS!
Very happy to hear that you have found your Dream Car!
Congratulations and best of luck with it!
Now drive and enjoy it!

Marty
Ha! My bellyaching about wanting one is definitely well documented on here. Well she starts up and will idle all day no problem and pulls like an LT5 should and doesn’t miss a beat, but I’ve had a hiccup that’s happening when I get off the gas and coast down to say 10 mph or below to make a turn at an intersection, the engine stalls. If I feather the throttle that keeps it alive.

Starts back up no problem and chugs along as it should but it’s does randomly hunt for idle once off the gas or stall. Remainder of FSMs I ordered are arriving today so the weekend will be spent trouble shooting the stall issue. Fastazu provided some common sense reasoning to call Marc but I wanted to try and solve it first. Hasn’t dampened how I feel about having one!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:15 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Pretty sure with your determination and the help from here, it will get solved
Old 09-13-2018, 09:39 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

but I’ve had a hiccup that’s happening when I get off the gas and coast down to say 10 mph or below to make a turn at an intersection, the engine stalls. If I feather the throttle that keeps it alive.
I have this issue from time to time also. It usually happens when I have the AC on, and have been running hard, and need to slow down quickly. You have a Haibeck chip, right? Marc tuned mine also. I would give him a call (although email might be better as he responds immediately, usually at 2am) and see what he thinks.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:08 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghlkal
I have this issue from time to time also. It usually happens when I have the AC on, and have been running hard, and need to slow down quickly. You have a Haibeck chip, right? Marc tuned mine also. I would give him a call (although email might be better as he responds immediately, usually at 2am) and see what he thinks.

Good luck.
Just wanted to follow up I figured out the stall condition. A big thanks to Marc for his patience with me via quite a few emails. After a a lot of FSM/LT5 supplement manual reading, tune up on the car, new O2s and a cleaning of the throttle body, new gaskets and filter I was still scratching my head. Marc said check the MAP hose for damage. I looked it over but did not realize this was a hard line from the factory. The fact that it was a vacuum sensor should've clued me in a rubber hose was not correct but I guess I was too frazzled by the stalling on the "new" car to have noticed. I pulled the hose off and it was dry at first but I left a paper towel under it just in case. I went inside for a break from the heat and came back out to a paper towel soaked with oil from the hose. The hose was also nice and squishy so a quick run to Autozone for some hard line and various fittings. Got it all together and started the car up, no stall not even a complaint out of the LT5 when coming back down off light revs. Before, the engine would save itself from stalling or just stall coming off a rev.

Took it for a drive and it didn't miss a beat at all! I had gotten so used to it pitching a fit or stalling when getting off the gas to come to a stop that I drove around the first 10 minutes in euphoria about it being happy all the time. Getting off the gas created the right vacuum to collapse that old oil soaked rubber hose and kill the motor....usually during mid turn at an intersection, killing the power steering. Meaning I was either going to T bone a car or bust the internals of the steering column trying to muscle it to keep turning while I worked the ignition to get it running again. I feel like a doofus for not catching it sooner. Can't believe something so simple caused such a headache. Now I can enjoy the drive instead of stressing out when I come up to a red light or have to stop.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:00 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Awesome, glad you figured it out. Enjoy!
Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Just wanted to follow up I figured out the stall condition. A big thanks to Marc for his patience with me via quite a few emails. After a a lot of FSM/LT5 supplement manual reading, tune up on the car, new O2s and a cleaning of the throttle body, new gaskets and filter I was still scratching my head. Marc said check the MAP hose for damage. I looked it over but did not realize this was a hard line from the factory. The fact that it was a vacuum sensor should've clued me in a rubber hose was not correct but I guess I was too frazzled by the stalling on the "new" car to have noticed. I pulled the hose off and it was dry at first but I left a paper towel under it just in case. I went inside for a break from the heat and came back out to a paper towel soaked with oil from the hose. The hose was also nice and squishy so a quick run to Autozone for some hard line and various fittings. Got it all together and started the car up, no stall not even a complaint out of the LT5 when coming back down off light revs. Before, the engine would save itself from stalling or just stall coming off a rev.

Took it for a drive and it didn't miss a beat at all! I had gotten so used to it pitching a fit or stalling when getting off the gas to come to a stop that I drove around the first 10 minutes in euphoria about it being happy all the time. Getting off the gas created the right vacuum to collapse that old oil soaked rubber hose and kill the motor....usually during mid turn at an intersection, killing the power steering. Meaning I was either going to T bone a car or bust the internals of the steering column trying to muscle it to keep turning while I worked the ignition to get it running again. I feel like a doofus for not catching it sooner. Can't believe something so simple caused such a headache. Now I can enjoy the drive instead of stressing out when I come up to a red light or have to stop.

Thats great news.... lots of times its the silliest and simplest things that are the Achilles heel... Now your true love affair will begin..... Enjoy!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:26 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You want to replace the rubber connectors as soon as possible,the Taiwan soft parts don’t last very long,best bet is to keep looking for some NOS fittings and stock up when you find them.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:23 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You want to replace the rubber connectors as soon as possible,the Taiwan soft parts don’t last very long,best bet is to keep looking for some NOS fittings and stock up when you find them.

I went ahead and purchased a repro unit from Jerry's Gaskets today. It's bent at all the right angles and looks a lot cleaner than the hardline fab job on there now.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:24 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Took it for a drive and it didn't miss a beat at all! I had gotten so used to it pitching a fit or stalling when getting off the gas to come to a stop that I drove around the first 10 minutes in euphoria about it being happy all the time.

Nice! I'm glad you got this issue fixed.

Enjoy
Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Great news, Now go enjoy WLT5@7200RPMs
Old 04-13-2019, 04:58 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Hey guys,

I know this thread was down in the depths for a while but I figured I would keep my putzing around in one thread instead of multiples. I'm going for a few more drives, then I'm parking the Z for a plenum pull. The 3rd owner replaced the starter, coils and plug wires sometime before they sold it at 78,300 miles but it looks pretty gnarly when I shine a flashlight in there. Sludge on everything. The PCV vent hoses also look to have seen better days. The coils look to be blue and I've never seen them in that color, if anyone knows of a brand that is cast in that color. Overall just curious (and obsessive compulsive about the grime) about what's going on under the plenum. I'll get a few pics of everything but had a few questions going in:

1) Does anyone have a spare factory throttle body plate for the top they wouldn't mind parting with? This one has an "LT5" plate but I prefer the factory look.

2) How long does everything stay grime free in the valley? I've seen a few valley pics on here that you could eat off of. I know dirt is going to be a thing on driven cars but just curious with normal cleaning what to expect.

Also, I decided to give OBX headers a try and bought a set today. Seems mostly positive for reviews of them over on the registry. I'll get them coated by Swaintech and the car's chip will go back to Marc to accommodate for the new headers. I'm excited for these but only now am I thinking about straight piped headers into the Corsa exhaust being pretty loud. I'm wondering if anyone has this exact set up and how much louder it sounds over just having a cat back exhaust.

Big thanks to Rkreigh and Demps for my pestering pms. I decided a few spread out small projects beats cooking a credit card on just one.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally clawed my way into the group

Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Hey guys,

I know this thread was down in the depths for a while but I figured I would keep my putzing around in one thread instead of multiples. I'm going for a few more drives, then I'm parking the Z for a plenum pull. The 3rd owner replaced the starter, coils and plug wires sometime before they sold it at 78,300 miles but it looks pretty gnarly when I shine a flashlight in there. Sludge on everything. The PCV vent hoses also look to have seen better days. The coils look to be blue and I've never seen them in that color, if anyone knows of a brand that is cast in that color. Overall just curious (and obsessive compulsive about the grime) about what's going on under the plenum. I'll get a few pics of everything but had a few questions going in:

1) Does anyone have a spare factory throttle body plate for the top they wouldn't mind parting with? This one has an "LT5" plate but I prefer the factory look.

2) How long does everything stay grime free in the valley? I've seen a few valley pics on here that you could eat off of. I know dirt is going to be a thing on driven cars but just curious with normal cleaning what to expect.

Also, I decided to give OBX headers a try and bought a set today. Seems mostly positive for reviews of them over on the registry. I'll get them coated by Swaintech and the car's chip will go back to Marc to accommodate for the new headers. I'm excited for these but only now am I thinking about straight piped headers into the Corsa exhaust being pretty loud. I'm wondering if anyone has this exact set up and how much louder it sounds over just having a cat back exhaust.

Big thanks to Rkreigh and Demps for my pestering pms. I decided a few spread out small projects beats cooking a credit card on just one.
Carter Machine makes a nice LT5 billet TB plate. if that's what you have and would like to trade I'll swap you for a very nice condition stocker.

For sure let us know how you like the OBX, they look like a fantastic deal and better quality than expected at that price point.

with the corsa, the muffs are engineered for the whole system so I'm not sure how it would sound.

I found on the B&B the sound is great and with the "new style" muffs not too obnoxious

the corsa muffs flow better and I like the design, but the B&B is a full 3" and sounds better to me.

both will make similar HP with the the best flow / least back pressure going to the corsa due to the muff and resonator design

the OLD B&B system I feel may have done better but it's so loud and resonates so bad I'm not bad I wouldn't use it as it was good for LT5 dentistry shaking fillings loose.

keeping under the plenum clean is tough as air flows under it and the breather box weeps oil and dirt gets stuck in the oil and deposits

stay off dusty roads is the only answer there or pull your plenum every 30k or so miles.

How dirty it gets really does depend on how dusty the roads are. For sure seal up that breather box gasket and check the hoses. Powder coating does help as it will "shed" the oil and dirt better from what I see.

Last edited by Rkreigh; 04-14-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:01 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

After I had the plenum off I thought it would be a good idea to coat all the soft parts with KRYTOX,what a mistake that was. The dirt and dust was like flys to fly paper.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:59 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the OBX headers and I’m very pleased with them. Excellent fit an quality. The only modification mine required was to dimple one header pipe where it interfered with the steering shaft ever so slightly. Good that your having them coated. Didn’t do that with mine and wish I did because of the heat they transfer to the cabin. I have the full OBX exhaust too which I really like. Nice low tone with no drone. But I must admit I still like the Corsa higher pitched scream at full throttle better.

As for the valley consider doing a throttle body coolant elimination by sealing the top of the Injector housing water passages with a threaded plug. It makes removing the plenum for service and cleaning a snap because you don’t have to drain and refill coolant every time. The coolant circuit through the throttle body only exists to prevent icing in winter conditions. It’s highly unlikely that these cars will be driven in those conditions these days. Have fun getting your Beast to your liking. To me it’s the best part of ownership.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 04-14-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally clawed my way into the group