C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

WTB/make dogbone throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:40 PM
wfot
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default WTB/make dogbone throttle body

Does anyone have or know how to make a dogbone throttle body? I have seen pictures in the past and was wondering if anyone still can make one. or if anyone has one they are willing to part with?

Thanks john
Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wfot
Does anyone have or know how to make a dogbone throttle body? I have seen pictures in the past and was wondering if anyone still can make one. or if anyone has one they are willing to part with?

Thanks john
Corey Henderson created this monster for Dave's Bonneyville Project Car:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bbdf54c8ee.jpg
I pretty sure that Marc Haibeck has built one or two over the years.
So they exist, but I'd be really surprised if any have come up for resale.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792

Last edited by Crabs; 09-06-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have one.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ttle-body.html
The following users liked this post:
Z51JEFF (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 11:19 AM
wfot
Racer

Originally Posted by mhobtr
pm sent...interested...
Old 09-10-2018, 05:07 PM
wfot
Racer

pm sent...interested...
If anyone has one of those dogbone throttle bodies that they are willing to part with, please let me know. or even if you can or know someone that can machine one...
thanks in advance

john
Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM
ZR-1 RG8
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

If anyone has one of those dogbone throttle bodies that they are willing to part with, please let me know. or even if you can or know someone that can machine one...
thanks in advance

john
I think if there is a big enough demand Phil W. May be interested in the project. First off you don't want a dog bone. You want a single blade, There is no restriction in the center of the TB to create turbulence.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-1 RG8
I think if there is a big enough demand Phil W. May be interested in the project. First off you don't want a dog bone. You want a single blade, There is no restriction in the center of the TB to create turbulence.
a big mono blade with a progressive linkage would be scads cheaper. An adapter plate out of phenolic resin would work well.

There are some big boys out there now for the whipple blower crowd. I think 1500 cfm flow shoud do it. Never liked the "dinky nickel" primary. Seems like an attempt to do something not needed.

Making a goggle tb would be pretty pricey I would imagine. Careful though, unless you are getting the intake and heads and downstream to "need it" most of the time TB mods are more eyewash than increased HP.

Keep in mind Dave twists his car up WAY higher than most and is making around 750 or so hp. In the early days when folks ported the stocker tb they were often disappointed with the gains even on the stroker cars.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM
wfot
Racer

Ok, so how much HP can be had from a 63 mm throttle body.???
i read from a few people that the 63mm caused a vacuum on some of the bigger inch engines....

i do like the idea of the mono blade but a lot more has to be done to get one of those in there...the intake and linkage would need to be sorted out...anybody down THAT road yet???
Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Ok, so how much HP can be had from a 63 mm throttle body.???
i read from a few people that the 63mm caused a vacuum on some of the bigger inch engines....

i do like the idea of the mono blade but a lot more has to be done to get one of those in there...the intake and linkage would need to be sorted out...anybody down THAT road yet???
stock seems to be able to feed 600 hp without being a restriction above that with a stroker or a 415 you lose some power, but not much
Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 PM
wfot
Racer

What size tb are you running on the lsv?
Old 09-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

What size tb are you running on the lsv?
63 mm ported TB. Probably worth 10hp on a 415. The ported 63 mm seems to be enough to feed a 415 at 7000 rpms

somewhere around 700 hp. I think Dave ran a dogbone on his bonneville car and may be able to comment.

the linkage would be easy on a mono blade just make a bell crank to give desired opening rate. Demps and I were talking about it and I think it would be a much easier route to go to big HP.

right now it's not the bottle neck so gains are pretty minimal. I also Think ITBs might be a better approach as they will provide all the throttle volume area needed!!!

A nice crab manifold would look great and straighten out the flow into the heads.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB/make dogbone throttle body

Quick Reply: WTB/make dogbone throttle body