C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

ZR-1 update

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 03:45 AM
combatdoc
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default ZR-1 update

Hey all, ZR-1 is back on the road, trying to finish up break in. E85 conversion is working awesome so far, typical cold starts, I am averaging 18 mpg with the fuel also. Once break in mileage is done and Corey and I work on final tuning I will experiment with plugs somewhat, currently stock heat range. My newly developed 160* thermostat is working flawless, here in Central Texas, other than heavy rain as of late, the temps are still in 90's and car coolant temp is 190 in town driving and 168-176 on highway. I think I might have seen 200-205 at Wendy's drive through (took forever), I have DeWitts alum. rad and stock fans currently. Oil temps are staying very low, upgraded cooler lines is only modification in that department. With big cams car is idling at 850-900 without surging idle, drivability is as good as stock considering big cams, big porting, big compression. On dyno just doing some basic tuning car has approximately 20-22* of timing and it made 462rwhp at 5000 rpm (far as revved), I have about 800 miles on motor now (rain is not helping), so I am excited to see what she is gonna lay down in the next 1000 or so miles. I will be starting out with a 100 shot on NOS, Lee informed me of hp potential with LT5 and small shot of gas, 100 should see around 110 hp increase. I do have some questions about suspension; I purchased heim joint end links for front and rear stabilizers, does anyone have a magic number or measurement for position of bars, I put them at stock distance (car has DRM coilover kit), just not 100% on what the cars prefer on tension of bars. I put 3:91 gears in car, seemed to be a great choice, with the aluminum flywheel and the twin disc center style slave kit trans is quite noisy in 6th under 1800 RPM's, but does clear up under any load. So far impressed with clutch pedal feel also, just over stock pedal requirement, but solid. I will see how she holds up once car in fully tuned and we shoot the gas in it. I believe the clutch is good for 750 ft/lb torque, question is if it does not hold or last where do I go from there???? Anyway, just figured I would give the community an update on the car, I am installing E85 gauge and wideband in car on pillar currently and paint correction (glorified buffing) from car sitting in shop for last 2 years. Does anyone know who has best quality outer door window seals (cracking), and pillar weatherstripping? up top in middle strip is beginning to feather or separate so its time for new, I just want to do it once so best quality available is important. Also, as far as oil catch can placement, has anyone routed them low on frame up by/below headlights? Thanks for reading any input of questions are very welcome, good day!

Last edited by combatdoc; 09-26-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:06 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Very cool. Anxious to see the final results.
The following users liked this post:
combatdoc (10-16-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:08 AM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

That sound pretty awesome. You will have lots of fun driving it. I will give you a link for weather strip. Don't care for the reproduction windshields they sell but the weather stripping is pretty good check them out. Anyway best of luck and enjoy it.
http://www.zr1windshield.com/weatherstrip/

Last edited by ZWILDZR1; 09-26-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
combatdoc (10-16-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 02:39 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Please get us video clips when you can. There is hardly any LT5 vids out there. Congrats, sounds like you'll get tons of enjoyment.
combatdoc (10-16-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by combatdoc
Hey all, ZR-1 is back on the road, trying to finish up break in. E85 conversion is working awesome so far, typical cold starts, I am averaging 18 mpg with the fuel also. Once break in mileage is done and Corey and I work on final tuning I will experiment with plugs somewhat, currently stock heat range. My newly developed 160* thermostat is working flawless, here in Central Texas, other than heavy rain as of late, the temps are still in 90's and car coolant temp is 190 in town driving and 168-176 on highway. I think I might have seen 200-205 at Wendy's drive through (took forever), I have DeWitts alum. rad and stock fans currently. Oil temps are staying very low, upgraded cooler lines is only modification in that department. With big cams car is idling at 850-900 without surging idle, drivability is as good as stock considering big cams, big porting, big compression. On dyno just doing some basic tuning car has approximately 20-22* of timing and it made 462rwhp at 5000 rpm (far as revved), I have about 800 miles on motor now (rain is not helping), so I am excited to see what she is gonna lay down in the next 1000 or so miles. I will be starting out with a 100 shot on NOS, Lee informed me of hp potential with LT5 and small shot of gas, 100 should see around 110 hp increase. I do have some questions about suspension; I purchased heim joint end links for front and rear stabilizers, does anyone have a magic number or measurement for position of bars, I put them at stock distance (car has DRM coilover kit), just not 100% on what the cars prefer on tension of bars. I put 3:91 gears in car, seemed to be a great choice, with the aluminum flywheel and the twin disc center style slave kit trans is quite noisy in 6th under 1800 RPM's, but does clear up under any load. So far impressed with clutch pedal feel also, just over stock pedal requirement, but solid. I will see how she holds up once car in fully tuned and we shoot the gas in it. I believe the clutch is good for 750 ft/lb torque, question is if it does not hold or last where do I go from there???? Anyway, just figured I would give the community an update on the car, I am installing E85 gauge and wideband in car on pillar currently and paint correction (glorified buffing) from car sitting in shop for last 2 years. Does anyone know who has best quality outer door window seals (cracking), and pillar weatherstripping? up top in middle strip is beginning to feather or separate so its time for new, I just want to do it once so best quality available is important. Also, as far as oil catch can placement, has anyone routed them low on frame up by/below headlights? Thanks for reading any input of questions are very welcome, good day!
pm sent ! With regards to the end links are you asking about what length to set them at ? They way I do it is to leave them loose and have the car sit level.. and adjust the height of the links so that the bar is parallel to the ground. I don’t have adjustable on the z but I do on my other car and that’s how I have them set. I have a feeling your bars may have multiple holes for adjustment of how much stiffer you want the bars..

462 at 5k !! I can’t wait to see some higher rpm pulls !

Last edited by 5abivt; 10-08-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Originally Posted by 5abivt

pm sent ! With regards to the end links are you asking about what length to set them at ? They way I do it is to leave them loose and have the car sit level.. and adjust the height of the links so that the bar is parallel to the ground. I don’t have adjustable on the z but I do on my other car and that’s how I have them set. I have a feeling your bars may have multiple holes for adjustment of how much stiffer you want the bars..

462 at 5k !! I can’t wait to see some higher rpm pulls !
And no timing 20-21* is nothing
Old 10-16-2018, 09:14 PM
combatdoc
Pro

Break in mileage is done pretty much, I will take video of car on dyno and results for those interested.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by combatdoc
Break in mileage is done pretty much, I will take video of car on dyno and results for those interested.
Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 update

Quick Reply: ZR-1 update