C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

I want to lower my ZR any advice or suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:38 AM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
Default I want to lower my ZR any advice or suggestions.

I really want to lower my 91 ZR1. To those who have lowered cars any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. For now I will be staying with either the cars original saw blades or the set of chrome A molds. But I really love the look of lowered C4's in general.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ZWILDZR1
I really want to lower my 91 ZR1. To those who have lowered cars any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. For now I will be staying with either the cars original saw blades or the set of chrome A molds. But I really love the look of lowered C4's in general.
I am interested in hearing other's feedback on lowering. My own thoughts are either the cheap lowering kit available through all Corvette parts retailers or coilovers. I have not done either, but have considered both.

My opinion is to stick with the stock painted saw blades. When was the last time you saw them on a '91 or '92 Corvette? They look great in my opinion. I have never been a fan of chrome A-molds. ...But that is just me. It is ironic that all my cars have A-molds, but that is indicative of their year.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=ZWILDZR1;1598053790]I really want to lower my 91 ZR1. To those who have lowered cars any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. For now I will be staying with either the cars original saw blades or the set of chrome A molds. But I really love the look of lowered C4's in general.[/QUOTE

Coilovers.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

We need to start a group buy on coilovers, I'm getting ready to switch as well.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:17 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

When I lowered my car I almost went with coil overs but found the VS&P made an adjustable front spring. Not sure that’s the name or if they still sell the spring. The springs got 2 threaded nutserts in the ends of the spring and an adjuster that comes in contact with the spring. At the time the spring and longer rear bolts was less than $600 I really like the OEM 91 wheels,it took me more than 4 years to put together an NOS set. Even though I’ve got a nice set of aftermarket wheels on the car I’ll put the stock wheels on it he car from time to time.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 09-27-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:23 AM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF

When I lowered my car I almost went with coil overs but found the VS&P made an adjustable front spring. Not sure that’s the name or if they still sell the spring. The springs got 2 threaded nutserts in the ends of the spring and an adjuster that comes in contact with the spring. At the time the spring and longer rear bolts was less than $600 I really like the OEM 91 wheels,it took me more than 4 years to put together an NOS set. Even though I’ve got a nice set of aftermarket wheels on the car I’ll put the stock wheels on it he car from time to time.
is that Van steel your referring to?
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I went with the drm coil overs but now Demps has engineered a brand new adjustable shock and coil over setup that looks MUCH better and doesn't require relocation of the sway bar and rear shock mount. I'm going to change over to this system so if anyone wants a complete coil over setup with custom DRM shock controller (has programmable chips for road, drag, street).

be careful that you don't lower too much as you can bottom out the shocks which is no bueno. ZR-1 look GREAT slammed and the coil overs with the right spring rates and shocks are the way to go if you can handle the initial tab and buy in. You get full adjustment capability, and with the demps new shock setup, improved and much lighter shocks that can be serviced.

Unfortunately the bilesteins which are a good shock, are hard to come by and expensive. And to me the fx3 which cool in its time, isn't nearly as good as improved shocks.

coil overs work great on the track and street if setup right and eliminate a bit of the skiddish ness in the rear in bumpy corners. I also went with the bansky rods to replace the dog bones which freed up travel and helped the car plant HP and track better with sperical rod ends rather than bushings. I was worried about "harsh ride" but that turned out to not be a problem. Also look at the DRM camber brackets which bolt on with either setup.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:42 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Snakeskinner2
is that Van steel your referring to?
No it’s Vette Products & Springs I think.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the looks of lowered Z's but have resisted lowering my 90 after trying to get a brother's lowered Z on my 4 post lift and the exhaust would not clear. We had to create this long approach out of 2x6 lumber just to get the car on my lift. I store my ZR-1 on my lift with another car underneath and that would be too labor intensive every time I wanted to drive it. Just a word of caution if you have a 4 post lift.
Rich
Old 09-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scrrem
I love the looks of lowered Z's but have resisted lowering my 90 after trying to get a brother's lowered Z on my 4 post lift and the exhaust would not clear. We had to create this long approach out of 2x6 lumber just to get the car on my lift. I store my ZR-1 on my lift with another car underneath and that would be too labor intensive every time I wanted to drive it. Just a word of caution if you have a 4 post lift.
Rich
I can completely understand the hassles of moving the car around. I recently bought a new
bike but in order to get both in my one car garage once the car goes in,it’s not going anywhere.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:36 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

On my 94, I used the Vette Brakes & Products adjustable front spring, like Jeff. On the rear, I used a longer pair of bolts.
Before:

After:
Old 09-28-2018, 06:46 AM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can completely understand the hassles of moving the car around. I recently bought a new
bike but in order to get both in my one car garage once the car goes in,it’s not going anywhere.
WOW! I have two vettes stacked one on top of the other and a Harley but I can still walk in my garage. I thought I had a serious lack of storage space......I can see now I was mistaken....LOL!
Rich
Old 09-28-2018, 07:17 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by Scrrem
WOW! I have two vettes stacked one on top of the other and a Harley but I can still walk in my garage. I thought I had a serious lack of storage space......I can see now I was mistaken....LOL!
Rich
Ya gots ta work wit what’s ya got! In all the time I’ve had my Z it has never sat outside overnight. When I brought this bike home a few months ago I said to myself,hope this works or this brand new bike is going to sit outside until I figure sumptin out. It’s been a couple months since I haven’t drivin the car since and I do miss it.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 09-29-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:57 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's a snug fit, Jeff.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ZWILDZR1
Coilovers
Old 09-30-2018, 05:02 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I put QA1 coilovers from Van Steel on my 94. Pretty easy install and my Z rides better now than ever before👍🏻 Handles amazingly as well!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:02 PM
95ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Some words of warning about lowering your Z:
You become a bottom feeder. I think it sucks down better at high speeds,
but peaked driveways and speed bumps become a hazard. I've flattened
my transmission drain plugs and bullet cats. Tail pipes and front air dam can hit.
Careful opening the door at curbside.
It can change your alignment, tire wear and handling. But... it looks COOL!

Get notified of new replies

To I want to lower my ZR any advice or suggestions.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:27 PM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. The down sides I pretty much expected. Has anyone just lowered the rear a couple inches and left the front alone. Was wondering what that would do to the cars balance?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Originally Posted by USAZR1
That's a snug fit, Jeff.
Hey Clint,how are you doin! It is a tight fit but I’ll make it work. Would you believe I’ve had a Corvette up on jack stands in a hat garage.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM
93Blackrose
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What spring rates and lengths did you end up with? Thanks.

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
I put QA1 coilovers from Van Steel on my 94. Pretty easy install and my Z rides better now than ever before👍🏻 Handles amazingly as well!

Quick Reply: I want to lower my ZR any advice or suggestions.