C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Rebuilt starter is loud and turns slowly

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 AM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rebuilt starter is loud and turns slowly

Just put in a starter that I had rebuilt . This starter seems to turn slowly and is a lot louder than the starter that was in there . My battery is only a Year and 5 months old . The old one was starting intermittently . I think due to bad contacts as sometimes I would turn the key and nothing . My clutch switch is working fine . I am worried something in the starter is drawing too much power and I sure don't want to get a electrical fire anyone have any ideas what's going on here
Old 10-08-2018, 09:25 AM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Unless you have a loose or corroded connection, it sounds like the brushes are not making good contact with the commutator. Not uncommon for rebuilt starters to drag or turn slowly for that reason. Often the problem gets worse when the starter is hot because the springs on the brushes get weaker.

You need to take it back to the rebuild shop. If they can't correct it, you need to get another starter.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:53 AM
oldpro
Racer

Thank you for your help rebuilder is 500 miles away think I will just bite the bullet and get one from rock auto
Old 10-08-2018, 11:05 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by oldpro
Thank you for your help rebuilder is 500 miles away think I will just bite the bullet and get one from rock auto

Why 'RockAuto"? I'd buy from Jerry if you actually wanted to do a buy! I'm guessing maybe the 're-builder' choice was a poor one OR maybe you actually have other issues!!! MAYBE BETTER DIAGNOSTICS BEFORE MAKING A MOVE!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-08-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:00 PM
oldpro
Racer

I just took both starters apart and the only difference are the long skinny spring that goes outside of the plunger one is sbout 3/4 of a inch longer than the other and the spring on the top of the plunger where it goes the big rubber that goes up against the top that's held by the 3 screws that height is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch higher the one that is slow has the shorter height is the rebuilt one could those differences cause the problem
Old 10-08-2018, 11:32 PM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by the "plunger" but if that is the brush, it needs to be held with as much pressure as possible against the commutator. If you have stronger springs, try them, Good Luck!

Make sure the electrical connections at the battery and the starter are clean and bright before you proceed.

I'm not sure I can explain this properly, but one thing that is important to rebuilding a starter is that the commutator is turned on a lathe then the insulators between the copper conductors of the commutator must be cut down so that the commutator surface is not smooth. There should be a definite groove between the copper pickups that the brushes ride on. If that undercut is not there, there will be problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilt starter is loud and turns slowly

Quick Reply: Rebuilt starter is loud and turns slowly