C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Need help, did not label connectors like a idiot

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Bennyzr1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, did not label connectors like a idiot

Just got done replacing the heator core, which was a beast, at least for me(first rodeo with heater core) but I forgot to label the connectors under the glove box and now I’m in limbo because I don’t want to screw anything up by connecting the wrong ones, it’s a 1990 zr1, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 02:20 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Disconnect the battery.
Generally, harness connections in the same vicinity will not plug in but to a matching connector.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Bennyzr1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by A26B
Disconnect the battery.
Generally, harness connections in the same vicinity will not plug in but to a matching connector.

Tried to trace the colors but none of them match up 100 percent,

Old 10-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Bennyzr1
Intermediate

The problem is I did not pull the dash and zipped tied my wiring harness out of the way, well when I was done I’m pretty sure I cut the factory zip ties, or previous owners, they put a viper alarm and stereo in,well it’s a mess, never any electrical problems except that stupid alarm disabling the car, left me stranded a few times, which I already took care of, well doing so I loosened the wires and connectors up, i just wanted to make sure I don’t fry anything because if there connected wrong I don’t no if the fuse would blow or not, don’t no how everything was tied into the box, I can tell it was professionally done but I’m not a electrician ether
Old 10-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Like Jerry said all the connectors are pretty much a matched set.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 10-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 AM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It appears from the picture that the slots in the female pin receptacle are populated differently.

Can you not match the male pin plugs by aligning the pins?
Old 10-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Bennyzr1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mhobtr
It appears from the picture that the slots in the female pin receptacle are populated differently.

Can you not match the male pin plugs by aligning the pins?
That’s what I did at first but then I counted the wires and the male had 9 wires and the female 8, plus the female was missing a point of contact in the plug, so I started second guessing myself. Thought it would not hurt to ask, I would hate to fry the ecm, thanks for the post, the other two replies said they would not plug-in to one another but they actually will, thanks again, see what happens tonight when I hook power up
Old 10-09-2018, 03:35 PM
mhobtr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Wiring harnesses often have wires for accessories that are not installed so it's not uncommon for a wire to stop at a connector.

Usually the wires entering and leaving a connector have the same coloring so that might help some.

If that is original wiring, the FSM wiring diagram should show this. If you don't have one, I would offer to look it up for you but I'm away from home until next Monday. Maybe someone else has one nearby and can help.

My car came with a non-working aftermarket radio with missing speakers and I'm dreading trying to figure out what they did. I'm going to remember your predicament when I get started.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by A26B
Disconnect the battery.
Yep!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help, did not label connectors like a idiot

Quick Reply: Need help, did not label connectors like a idiot