C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Thinking of selling my Z,is $30,000 a stretch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Like I said before it is easy to retain value, just don't sell for Less. That's it.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:11 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by zrc3john
If your talking about engine options the C-2 and the C-3 had many engine options, including the L-88 which had close to 600 HP when you ran headers...
Hey, I would like to see the ZR-1 gain some value, I own one....375-405 HP and the people are just not biting..
I don't believe it is due to the horsepower. Why are 90s 911 brining so much? NSX, Supra, Type R's, e39 M5s and so on. They are all slower than a stock zr-1,(non turbo 911) won't out handle one either. It's all down to hype, IMO.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
They are all slower than a stock zr-1,(non turbo 911) won't out handle one either. It's all down to hype, IMO.
The 91 ZR-1 beat the 91 911 Turbo,and it pretty much killed Road and Track to admit it.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I don't believe it is due to the horsepower. Why are 90s 911 brining so much? NSX, Supra, Type R's, e39 M5s and so on. They are all slower than a stock zr-1,(non turbo 911) won't out handle one either. It's all down to hype, IMO.
My guess is its just stuck in the " Bastard" generation of Corvette then, what else could it be?
Look at the price of a C 6ZR1,mid 60's at best even with supporting mods....Recently saw a C6ZR1 anniversary edition 800 HP to the wheels, 2,200 miles....Asking price 67K...Flawless condition..It retailed for 127K..Seller says he got a great deal when he bought it....Figure even if he got it for 110K, which is stretching it, plus I would say at least 25 thousand in mods, pretty much taking a big hit..
All vettes from the fourth generation up are taking hits not just the C4Z....Moral to the story? Drive your car and enjoy it...
Old 11-15-2018, 01:31 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

In general, cars are not a good investment... anyone with a large bank account can tell you that.... cars are a hobby and a labor of love. Any money put into them is basically money lost. Thats just a fact of playing with cars.... The key is finding a car like the ZR-1, that trips your trigger, buy it for what youre willing to pay, fix it, maintain it and drive the sonofabeeotch!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:16 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF

The 91 ZR-1 beat the 91 911 Turbo,and it pretty much killed Road and Track to admit it.
Even better
Old 11-16-2018, 01:25 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakeskinner2
I say we ban together....who's in! Don't sell low✊...don't sell low ✊....don't sell low✊ 😂😂
Hilarious... yet the photo of a c4 ZR-1 crammed in a storage space will be the future. The point is people don't seek them to begin with, let alone pay for a lesser vehicle than the new versions that are FAR superior. Plenty of them out there, more than the demand and they sit. As cars get better and faster the more they will be forgotten.. As the people get older that knew of or experienced "king of the hill" the less they will hang on for top dollar. It's a GM accessory toy. Not investment and not something that even made people go crazy for when new. Less demand now than ever, and never was a ton.

The only way these get demand at this point is if gasoline cars go extinct or have a HP rating and you can only buy new or be grandfathered in.

Awesome toy, neat and different toys, but too subtle of differences.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:04 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

NSXs are going for crazy money right now. I regularly see high mileage models asking 50-60 grand. That’s for the higher horse powered models which I think still fell under 300 hp.

Who knows with the C4 Z. There was a time having a 57 fuelie sucked. I had read a story on here that guys were having the FI ripped off the car to put a carb on and FI would act as a door prop for the parts department at the dealer. Guys cutting the window pillars out of their 63s to be like the 64 and up crowd. TriPower big blocks that you couldn’t give away in the 70s and 80s. A 1996 Corvette that had an “atrocious” red interior by car mags with admiral blue paint, some vinyl stripes and a Chevy serialization sells for big bucks now with the right mileage.

You never know when the niche group will look favorably on a vehicle.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Hilarious... yet the photo of a c4 ZR-1 crammed in a storage space will be the future. The point is people don't seek them to begin with, let alone pay for a lesser vehicle than the new versions that are FAR superior. Plenty of them out there, more than the demand and they sit. As cars get better and faster the more they will be forgotten.. As the people get older that knew of or experienced "king of the hill" the less they will hang on for top dollar. It's a GM accessory toy. Not investment and not something that even made people go crazy for when new. Less demand now than ever, and never was a ton.

The only way these get demand at this point is if gasoline cars go extinct or have a HP rating and you can only buy new or be grandfathered in.

sounds like someone is mad they dont have a zr1 lol
Old 11-16-2018, 05:40 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

How would you explain Camaros then? 70's Camaros and Z-28's were dogs.... The Z-28 was only different than the base model because of plastic bolt on non functional spoilers and disco stripes.... AND there were 2 MILLION made... Have you looked at F body prices lately?

Not that it matters, but there will be a time when the ZR-1 is saught after.... Its the fact that nobody knows what the hell they are still to this day.... many, many Vette owners never even heard of one... How can there be demand for something nobody knows about? Thats the real issue in my opinion. The only way to get demand is to educate people about them... thats what the ZR1netregistry is for...

Old 11-16-2018, 05:45 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Old 11-16-2018, 06:06 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 81c3
How would you explain Camaros then? 70's Camaros and Z-28's were dogs.... The Z-28 was only different than the base model because of plastic bolt on non functional spoilers and disco stripes.... AND there were 2 MILLION made... Have you looked at F body prices lately?

Not that it matters, but there will be a time when the ZR-1 is saught after.... Its the fact that nobody knows what the hell they are still to this day.... many, many Vette owners never even heard of one... How can there be demand for something nobody knows about? Thats the real issue in my opinion. The only way to get demand is to educate people about them... thats what the ZR1netregistry is for...
You may be right as far as people not knowing about the manufacturing that went into it..Many corvette people do know but some don't..
I could be wrong but I think the initial price of this car new was shocking..60-65,000 for a Corvette blew people out of the water..I know many people paid above sticker and maybe left a bad taste in there mouth..
Old 11-17-2018, 12:08 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

It may very well be the mystique of the engine that keeps prices down. By today's standards, it's an overly complex engine for the power it generates. It was impressive back then, but when today's simple push rod SBCs can be ordered in a crate with 405 hp or more, with a one-and-done carb on top, I can see why people would shy away from a rare engine that parts aren't readily available for, at least compared to a traditional SBC.

I had someone get out of their car and come talk to me about mine and he loved it. Then I start walking around the car and pointing out all the things that are ZR-1 specific that you can't just order if you need it, and his smile slowly disappeared and he kind of just stared at the car blankly. After all of it though he still said he wanted one but if I had to guess, the collector crowd probably feels the same way about these cars right now. Just an old C4 that's 10K more than other C4s, and still slower than a C5 Z06 that can be had for cheaper.

It's probably old news to some but apparently 93 fox body cobras are going through a gotta-have-it phase right now with prices. It's weird how the bug bites a few people and it spreads through a niche group and then spreads to the general collector crowd. You never know, that bug bite can happen to the C4 Zs at some point.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

I see your point. But even the other 80s/90s sports also have parts that are not available, or hard to find. Complex engines as well, for the power they make.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:09 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
NSXs are going for crazy money right now. I regularly see high mileage models asking 50-60 grand. That’s for the higher horse powered models which I think still fell under 300 hp.

Who knows with the C4 Z. There was a time having a 57 fuelie sucked. I had read a story on here that guys were having the FI ripped off the car to put a carb on and FI would act as a door prop for the parts department at the dealer. Guys cutting the window pillars out of their 63s to be like the 64 and up crowd. TriPower big blocks that you couldn’t give away in the 70s and 80s. A 1996 Corvette that had an “atrocious” red interior by car mags with admiral blue paint, some vinyl stripes and a Chevy serialization sells for big bucks now with the right mileage.

You never know when the niche group will look favorably on a vehicle.

Marty
Old 11-17-2018, 05:50 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

It may very well be the mystique of the engine that keeps prices down. By today's standards, it's an overly complex engine for the power it generates. It was impressive back then, but when today's simple push rod SBCs can be ordered in a crate with 405 hp or more, with a one-and-done carb on top, I can see why people would shy away from a rare engine that parts aren't readily available for, at least compared to a traditional SBC.

I had someone get out of their car and come talk to me about mine and he loved it. Then I start walking around the car and pointing out all the things that are ZR-1 specific that you can't just order if you need it, and his smile slowly disappeared and he kind of just stared at the car blankly. After all of it though he still said he wanted one but if I had to guess, the collector crowd probably feels the same way about these cars right now. Just an old C4 that's 10K more than other C4s, and still slower than a C5 Z06 that can be had for cheaper.

It's probably old news to some but apparently 93 fox body cobras are going through a gotta-have-it phase right now with prices. It's weird how the bug bites a few people and it spreads through a niche group and then spreads to the general collector crowd. You never know, that bug bite can happen to the C4 Zs at some point.
Its funny you say that... this is the reason I was drawn to the ZR-1 when I bought my first one 10 years ago. Sold it and bought another. I have no fear whatsoever about parts availability or the over all longevity of the LT-5... I guess peoples minds work in different ways.... and while Im no guru... Im handy with a set of tools, so that might be why I have less reservation about owning a Z....
Old 11-17-2018, 06:43 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 81c3
Its funny you say that... this is the reason I was drawn to the ZR-1 when I bought my first one 10 years ago. Sold it and bought another. I have no fear whatsoever about parts availability or the over all longevity of the LT-5... I guess peoples minds work in different ways.... and while Im no guru... Im handy with a set of tools, so that might be why I have less reservation about owning a Z....
You know it doesn’t bother me either. But to an outside person, I bet the first time you say to a seasoned Chevy gearhead, “To get to the starter, the whole top of the engine has to come off”, it’s gonna blow their mind. I think little things like that will feel ridiculous.

Little quirks about this car are normal but if you’re used to regular carb cars, they will make you crazy. I think that was a bit of motivation to sell for the previous owner of mine. He always wanted one but when he got it, it wasn’t like the carbed cars he had. I only say that because when I got car I was blowing the cobwebs out of maintenance items that were still present since the 3rd owner (me being the 5th).

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of selling my Z,is $30,000 a stretch?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 PM
MarkJensen
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1992 ZR1 red on red w/422 original miles

I have a time capsule that I bought new and parked except for car shows and parades! Hoping someone will want it some day to fill a collection that doesn’t have a C4 in it! I even have both tops but the market seems to stay soft on them!!
Old 11-29-2018, 07:49 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default The most reliable and easy to maintain is the LT5

You know it doesn’t bother me either. But to an outside person, I bet the first time you say to a seasoned Chevy gearhead, “To get to the starter, the whole top of the engine has to come off”, it’s gonna blow their mind. I think little things like that will feel ridiculous.
The Beauty of the LT5 is that the starter is top side rather than underneath. I can remove an LT5 starter in 10 minutes (And then only have to clean up the solenoid points for a very reliable starter). And...…..the whole top of the engine is ONLY the Plenum in this case.....not the Heads....not the Injector housings, Not the Cam Covers. If you tell me you have to remove the Whole Top of the engine.....yes....That statement blew my mind

Little quirks about this car are normal but if you’re used to regular carb cars, they will make you crazy. I think that was a bit of motivation to sell for the previous owner of mine. He always wanted one but when he got it, it wasn’t like the carbed cars he had. I only say that because when I got car I was blowing the cobwebs out of maintenance items that were still present since the 3rd owner (me being the 5th).
There are no little quirks if you do an initial restoration of the top end as the LT5 is one of the most reliable engines there is. The most obvious is the vacuum system which vacuum lines and connectors you can replace completely in a few minutes for $125 (Ebay).
All and any parts are available on Ebay (Jerry's Gaskets and some other sources)

It may very well be the mystique of the engine that keeps prices down. By today's standards, it's an overly complex engine for the power it generates. I can see why people would shy away from a rare engine that parts aren't readily available for, at least compared to a traditional SBC. I start walking around the car and pointing out all the things that are ZR-1 specific that you can't just order if you need it.
WOW!! The LT5 may be complex to you but not to me and I would much rather work on the LT5 than any other engine. ALL parts that I have needed are available on Ebay (Jerry's Gaskets and some other sources). I am not sure what parts you pointed out that you cannot just order but all parts I know of I can get easily in two days from several sources delivered to my door.

You scare folks away from one of the most reliable engines and fun car to drive that exists. And one of the easiest to obtain the minor engine parts for (Some major engine parts do not have to be replaced for more than 150,000 to 200,000 miles). Except the DIS and maybe ECM for some which are extreme rarities to fail.

Now if you have to replace or want to replace Drive/half shaft U-Joints or rear wheel bearings (say at 100,000 miles) that is easy also and those kind of parts are readily available and of high quality.

All I can say is if you take just a bit of time to familiarize yourself with some initial Maintenance Techniques and in particular familiarize yourself with the Initial Fluid Change out and types of Fluids you will find that the LT5 just keeps on running with very little maintenance required
(I mention the Oil Filter on the top for example that can be removed with NO oil spill and changed out in seconds).

Any other questions I refer you to the Sticky at the top of this C4 ZR-1 Discussion section with some 250,000 views

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-29-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:48 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

I guess back in 90 gearheads were not used to the complexity of this engine as opposed to today....I mean most motors today are complex but back in 90 people were like , what?
I remember when I got my plenum and I Hector housings back from Pete.....Put everything back on. go to start it, nothing, bad starter....I'm like, oh no....Lol...

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Z,is $30,000 a stretch?