C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LT5 in 90 ZR1 running rich

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:25 PM
flashZR1/Z06
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT5 in 90 ZR1 running rich

90 ZR1 running rich, fouling plugs on passenger side then oxygen sensors - worse on passenger side. heavy carbon fouling. Possible causes?
Old 10-31-2018, 04:30 PM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

1. Remove vacuum line from Fuel Pressure Regulator. Key on. Any fuel coming from vacuum nipple on Regulator?
2. Are all 4 plugs on passenger side fouled? If not, which ones are fouled?
3. Are plugs oily?
4. Are the stock exhaust manifolds & cats still in place?
Old 10-31-2018, 06:42 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by A26B
1. Remove vacuum line from Fuel Pressure Regulator. Key on. Any fuel coming from vacuum nipple on Regulator?
3. Are plugs oily?
Jerry,

why would #1 cause a richer condition on the passenger side? I’m currently seeing the same issue w my motor?
Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
why would #1 cause a richer condition on the passenger side? I’m currently seeing the same issue w my motor?
Jerry is the authority but let me make a guess-- and it IS a guess. If your FPR was faulty (ripped membrane) raw, un regulated (or at least less regulated) fuel would get dumped into the system. The first (or actually top) feeder hose for the fuel rails feeds the right side. Hence any fault in the FPR would show up on the right side of the engine as extra fuel dump.

Am I close?

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 10-31-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:23 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Jerry is the authority but let me make a guess-- and it IS a guess. If your FPR was faulty (ripped membrane) raw, un regulated (or at least less regulated) fuel would get dumped into the system. The first (or actually top) feeder hose for the fuel rails feeds the right side. Hence any fault in the FPR would show up on the right side of the engine as extra fuel dump.

Am I close?
You would need to ask Jerry, but its still unclear to me why it would discriminate that way.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:22 AM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

90 ZR1 running rich, fouling plugs on passenger side then oxygen sensors - worse on passenger side. heavy carbon fouling. Possible causes?
Originally Posted by A26B
Ruptured diaphram in the Fuel Regulator would dump fuel back into the plenum at the vacuum source, located at L-Rear of plenum, creating a fuel rich condition. Although it wouldn't be bank specific, I suggested this check to easily eliminate a possible source of excess fuel.

A weak/bad O2 sensor would control fuel to the entire bank. I asked this question to determine the probability of the enrichment being related to the O2 Sensor. If less than all plugs fuel fouled, then probability of bad injectors is greater than bad O2 sensor.

3. Are plugs oily?
OP states plugs are fouled due to a rich fuel condition, but does not offer any information to support fuel over oil. If plugs are oily then other problems may exist. Added to the results of question #2 helps to determine other possible sources of the plug fouling.

If it turns out the plugs are oil fouled, and considering only one bank is affected, the possibility catalytic reversion comes into play, depending on whether the exhaust manifold & cats are still on the engine. Although 90~92 models have the same manifold/cat design, 1990 models seem to have a higher incidence of catalytic reversion. Reversion of catalyst dust is like a coarse lapping compound and literally wipes the oil ring scraper lands completely from the oil ring.

A bad O2 sensor may be at fault, but without the means to test it and no DTC codes given, it's hard to consider it as being the primary source. Insofar as the problem being injector related, it would be unlikely that all bad injectors are on the right bank only. As such, the simple, no cost checks offered can help with the diagnosis.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Thanks Jerry. Informative.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:13 PM
flashZR1/Z06
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 ZR1 running rich

Fouling passenger side plugs and oxygen sensor. Need to check for. Modified with headers, 3" cars & 3" exhaust.

Get notified of new replies

To LT5 in 90 ZR1 running rich

Quick Reply: LT5 in 90 ZR1 running rich