Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 ZR-1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

Notices
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

Old 12-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Crabs
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ccmano View Post
Congrats, glad it worked out for you. You can relax for 2 more years. Is the car modded in any way?
H
Girlfriend has a Haibec PROM, Accel injectors & Flowmaster exhaust.
Other than that she's stock.

'Crabs

Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Z51JEFF
CF Senior Member

Location: Fremont Ca. I will do No business with ANY company that boycotts Arizona.

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r View Post
curious if this is happening or are people still able to pass. is there an age where the vehicles are grandfathered?

VT
Are you thinking about moving to Ca. If so and you have a heavily modified Z donít even bother bringing it here and donít think you can bring it in and put one over on the smog *****. To register and out of State vehicle it first needs to be inspected at the DMV and these people do know what to look for.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
Girlfriend has a Haibec PROM, Accel injectors & Flowmaster exhaust.
Other than that she's stock.

'Crabs
I was under the impression that no one could modify their exhaust in CA??
Does that vary by county? Maybe it is because you maintain the Stock Catalytic Converter???

Maybe it is the low mileage that does it for you (14,335 miles)??

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-10-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:21 AM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I was under the impression that no one could modify their exhaust in CA??
Does that vary by county? Maybe it is because you maintain the Stock Catalytic Converter???

Maybe it is the low mileage that does it for you (14,335 miles)??
Catback exhausts were allowed when I lived in SoCal 2 years ago. Itís the exhaust manifold and cats that must be OEM. Every kid with a civic seems to have a fart can to make noise.
H
The Following User Says Thank You to ccmano For This Useful Post:
Dynomite (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM
Crabs
CF Senior Member

The Smog ****'s don't care about mufflers, all they care about are the exhaust manifolds and the cats.
Technically speaking, you can run straight pipes after your cats and still pass the visual inspection.
Gauging by the fart cans (or lack there-of) on the local ricers and the straight pipes on the old farts Harleys, the local cops don't give a damn about loud exhaust.

'Crabs
The Following User Says Thank You to Crabs For This Useful Post:
Dynomite (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM
zrc3john
CF Senior Member

I have a question, I mean I doubt I'm moving to CA but, what do they do about older cars that came out of the factory without catalytic converters?
I mean in NY every 60's muscle car I see has headers...I'm positive the ones in CA have them as well...

Last edited by zrc3john; 12-10-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:56 AM
pewter50vette
CF Senior Member

I think that pre 1974 cars are not required to have a smog certification , my 1970 Chevelle has never needed one that being said it would not surprise me they will try to change that it the future.
All the libs and tree huggers in this state want everybody walking or riding a bus or driving a Prius.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:39 AM
bowtiguy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 81c3 View Post
I lived in California for 1 year when I was younger.... that was enough to satisfy my curiosity. Went back once to take the family to Disney Land which sucked in comparison to Disney World... Then again to see my son graduate from basic training Marine Corps in San Diego....Ill probably never go back.

I heard/read something very disturbing for my state of Colorado.... we are now adopting California's emission standard for new cars in 2020.... The slippery slope begins...Dont know how that will effect older cars yet.... damn eco-*****... I am yet to understand how any other state would adopt anything from a state that is an economic and social failure....but I guess thats the new way of thinking these days....
Damn, that news sucks! 'm right there with you. After living here for 15 years ( I'm 47), I'm considering selling everything when I retire and taking my tax revenue, toys, guns and bird dogs with me....oh yeah, wife too. I own 4 cars that are 1970 or earlier. They are all currently emissions exempt ( even my wifes 83' 380SL is because it was grandfathered in w/ collectors plates). We already have adopted some stupid sh*t from other states. 1) magazine capacity, WEED ( worst thing EVER for this state), sugar tax on sodas in Boulder county, etc etc...
Old 12-16-2018, 07:00 PM
ZR-71
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by zrc3john View Post
I have a question, I mean I doubt I'm moving to CA but, what do they do about older cars that came out of the factory without catalytic converters?
I mean in NY every 60's muscle car I see has headers...I'm positive the ones in CA have them as well...
In CA, any car Year 1975 or older does not require any smog checks
Old 12-22-2018, 08:24 PM
billschroeder5842
ZenVette Master level VII
Support Corvetteforum!

When you California guys have "had 'nuff" give me a call. I'm interested in a BLK/BLK ZR1 with respectable miles and/or adult mods.

Your car will be happier in Texas. Place a 6 pack of beer along with your insurance card on the passenger seat and your car passes inspection every time.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 AM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,075 Times in 987 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

pre 75 cars still have to have thier smog stuff in place. Noones checking yet...but chp or the local pd can. If your car is impounded you may not want it back ask me how i know

Last edited by cuisinartvette; 12-25-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anybody in california failing smog tests with thier z?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: