C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Silicone hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 10:10 AM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Silicone hoses?

Who has switched over to silicone cooling hose? Any pros or cons to the swap? Looks like you have to also use the worm type clamps along with the swap. Would like your feedback on the subject.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:40 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Yup worm clamps, no issues so far. I used hair spray on the connections of the hoses that are the more difficult to reach as added insurance for a good seal.
H
Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

No problems what so ever. I'd make the swap. Now, if yours are original hoses, they WILL fight you on the way off and the upper water pump hose is the most difficulet.

I did my swap as part of a radioator swap so I had a lot more room.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ccmano
Yup worm clamps, no issues so far. I used hair spray on the connections of the hoses that are the more difficult to reach as added insurance for a good seal.
H
Hair spray?? Never thought of that.

I once had one of the elbow hoses (coolant pipe cross-over ) slip off and blow gallons of coolant out in seconds! The hose under the worm clamp succumbed to the clamp pressure and squeezed out from under the clamp (common problem w/ worm clamps, btw). If I had used hair spray instead of silicone RTV, the hose prolly would have stayed put!?

What do you think, Hans?
Old 12-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Had Samcos on for 11 years. They’re great. Never a problem. Use the correct worm clamps however.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Samcos here !!!!
Old 12-01-2018, 05:45 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Hair spray?? Never thought of that.

I once had one of the elbow hoses (coolant pipe cross-over ) slip off and blow gallons of coolant out in seconds! The hose under the worm clamp succumbed to the clamp pressure and squeezed out from under the clamp (common problem w/ worm clamps, btw). If I had used hair spray instead of silicone RTV, the hose prolly would have stayed put!?

What do you think, Hans?
Has always worked for me. But it has to the extra super hold like Trump uses... lol
H
Old 12-01-2018, 05:56 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Anyone running these hoses from Jerry's?

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/hose-se...lue-6pc-90-95/

I pulled out the old radiator and the hoses are not looking that great, I might as well take care of them now.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Hose Clamps and Permatex

Originally Posted by ZWILDZR1
Who has switched over to silicone cooling hose? Any pros or cons to the swap? Looks like you have to also use the worm type clamps along with the swap. Would like your feedback on the subject.
1. Hose Clamps
If you use SAMCO Hose Clamps for example you can use an 8mm socket and 1/4 inch socket wrench with two 1/4 inch universal joints with a short and long extension. The screw on the SAMCO hose clamp is 8mm. You can set the hose clamps such that they can easily be reached with the 1/4 socket combination....even the Water pump hose connection on the thermostat housing from the passenger side frame rail.

I like the SAMCO Hose Clamps because they do not bite into any kind of coolant hose you might use. And......using an 8mm socket rather than a long screw driver with no universal joint gives you all kinds of options in those tight areas for tightening the various hose clamps.
Jerry has the SAMCO Hose clamps individually or as a kit.

2. Permatex

I use Permatex Super 300 on gaskets such as oil pan, Injector Housing Gasket to Head, and water pump gasket (including thermostat gaskets or in our case thermostat mating surfaces) where oil or coolant is involved. I also use a bit of this Permatex on coolant pipes by lightly coating the inside of the hoses before I slip them on the coolant pipes. I also use Permatex Super 300 on oil pan drain plug metal gaskets and oil pan drain plug threads. I do not use Permatex on Head Gaskets, Plenum Gaskets, or Cam Covers. I have TB Coolant Blocked at the injector housing on all ZR-1s.

On gaskets, I coat each side of the gasket lightly (very lightly) with Permatex Super 300 and then let it sit until the Permatex gets tacky such that the gasket will stick in place (helps keep gaskets in place while placing water pump or oil pan for example).

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-02-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:53 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Anyone running these hoses from Jerry's?

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/hose-se...lue-6pc-90-95/

I pulled out the old radiator and the hoses are not looking that great, I might as well take care of them now.
I’m using the Jerry’s hoses and clamps installed on my 95Z a few months ago and recommend them. My 90Z had SAMCO hoses and clamps; no difference to me. Regular clamps will dig into and ruin silicone hoses. If you have a Stant or other cooling system pressure tester it will help to ensure no seeping it leaks before finding out on the road.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 12-07-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1

I’m using the Jerry’s hoses and clamps installed on my 95Z a few months ago and recommend them. My 90Z had SAMCO hoses and clamps; no difference to me. Regular clamps will dig into and ruin silicone hoses. If you have a Stant or other cooling system pressure tester it will help to ensure no seeping it leaks before finding out on the road.
I picked Jerry's hoses up along with the stainless smooth clamp set. Tackling it tomorrow and all the hoses look easy except for the water pump hose. Good thing I'm off tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:19 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
I picked Jerry's hoses up along with the stainless smooth clamp set. Tackling it tomorrow and all the hoses look easy except for the water pump hose. Good thing I'm off tomorrow.
Nice. Best wishes and hopefully all goes well. Try not to curse....LOL. The lifesaver for me was the Astro (or other brand) OEM clamp removal tool.

Astro Pneumatic Tool 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003D3N7YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lOYcCb8KYJF4K

Those factory clamps are a bastard. I replaced radiator with DeWitts at the same time (love it by the way) so not too bad. I did have seeping from one hose on the thermostat housing that was hard to get to after all assembled.

Get notified of new replies

To Silicone hoses?

Quick Reply: Silicone hoses?