C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Prices all over the place..???

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:37 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Prices all over the place..???

Would like to sell..At least I think I would...I know I may regret it all though the C7Z06 has got my goat....
Would first have to check w my classic ins.to see what kind of rate I would get to insure the C7Z..
As of now I pay 145.00 dollars a year to insure the Z for 29,000.....
Such a tough car to price the C4Z....Mines a 91 Blk/Blk 442 RWHP....Powder coated engine..
49,400 miles....
When you go to the online sites you see many Z's mid to low 20's,stock..Than you see nice examples at auction blocks going for a lot less than that....My opinion, if its a really low mile car than I would not mod it...
Mine was stock when I got it 4 years ago w 41,000 miles....
I feel mercury marine ( with the fault of Chevy) left a good amount of HP on the table...
Its a different car with porting and reground intake cams and exhaust...
Will be back in town,NY next week....If I do decide to advertise it I will put it up on this forum....
Enthusiast owned...

Old 12-06-2018, 07:54 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Yes, prices are everywhere. I notice the cars priced way high, never sell.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Crabs
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Sadly the C4 is considered to be the bastard child of all generations of 'Vettes by John Q. Public.
Add in an exotic engine that shares -Absolutely No- interchangeable parts from -Any Other- GM made engine, and....
Viola!!!!
You get low mile, rare color '95 ZR1's going at Meccum Auctions for less than $35k.

Give it another 10 or 20 years, and they might be worth something, otherwise,...

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!

'Crabs
'90 ZR1 #792

Last edited by Crabs; 12-06-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by zrc3john
Would like to sell..At least I think I would...I know I may regret it all though the C7Z06 has got my goat....
GLWS if you decide to do it. It's easy to understand the itch for a C7Z

Is your Z green with black interior? I assume you changed out the interior if so. I personally like the black interior over the the tan with a green exterior.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:06 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghlkal
GLWS if you decide to do it. It's easy to understand the itch for a C7Z

Is your Z green with black interior? I assume you changed out the interior if so. I personally like the black interior over the the tan with a green exterior.
Not green....Blk/blk...Only wanted that color combo when I shopped for one......
Old 12-07-2018, 12:11 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crabs
Sadly the C4 is considered to be the bastard child of all generations of 'Vettes by John Q. Public.
Add in an exotic engine that shares -Absolutely No- interchangeable parts from -Any Other- GM made engine, and....
Viola!!!!
You get low mile, rare color '95 ZR1's going at Meccum Auctions for less than $35k.

Give it another 10 or 20 years, and they might be worth something, otherwise,...

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!

'Crabs
'90 ZR1 #792
Yes the C-4 gets the Bastard generation title...Add in the fact that the motor is too advanced in its original form to get to 400 HP..Lets face it, a single cammed crate engine with a 4 bbl today can get you 400 HP...
That's why I modded mine...Lots of untapped HP......
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I think the early c4s are the bastard child of the corvette world and they are the reason for such a negative perspective on the C4s (84-89/90). They don't have much power, the exterior styling while beautiful is much more dated and the interior is just an incredible time warp to that era. Appealing? perhaps to the few who own them but to the rest of the world I think that interior is a reason most dislike the C4. They are a victim of their generation. Most people from that era who were teens, likely never knew much about the c4. there was no social media or youtube or even internet. If you didn't buy motor trend and car and driver you were clueless. Those who were old enough to purchase C4s are now much older, and prefer the buick like c6s and on plus don't have the time or energy to be tinkering with older cars. Its a sad fact that people outside the corvette world don't look at them more like the kids nowadays who drool over 240sx and other junk that in my time.. youd have to wear a ski mask to drive one because they were so undesired. Most of the ownership that has C4s cant afford Zr-1s or their maintenance and avoid them and talk them down to feel better about themselves. If the ZR-1 was German theyd be triple the price. they are like manual AMG GTs. RWD DOHC 2 seaters.
As for prices they are definitely all over the place. So many have stories and been neglected and since the market isn't hot many owners don't have the time or patience to get more as well as not having the knowledge to list them properly. Add to that there are always the people in corvette world who want original, and while mods really wake up and repair/improve the LT5s shortcomings they become undesierable for the majority. I know for me I can count on half of one hand how many Zs ive seen for sale that I would actually want out of all the ones ive seen over the last 5 years. If I was in the market and had the money I know it wouldn't be a quick search and I'd pay more for the one I wanted. It is what it is and the market doesn't bother me much and usually I choose to avoid these topics online.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:02 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by zrc3john
Would like to sell..At least I think I would....
Mine was stock when I got it 4 years ago w 41,000 miles....

What exactly did you do to the car? BLK/BLK is my "go to" color...
Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
What exactly did you do to the car? BLK/BLK is my "go to" color...
It basically has the Haibeck 510 package....It put down 522 CHP on a mustang dyno...Cams were done so it puts out a little more than Haibeck 510......
Also put in Hurst shifter, K&N filter,OBX headers and exhaust, MAT sensor relocated to front of car...
I went in stages...Headers exhaust first than had Pete do porting on the plenum....Dempsey ( evolution motors did the cylinder head porting, cams and Powder coated the motor and dyno tuned it..
Didn't really start advertising it yet....Happy with the performance and look of the car.....The C7Z06 just has my goat right now.....The car is real nice ......
Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 PM
HAWAIIZR-1
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
I think the early c4s are the bastard child of the corvette world and they are the reason for such a negative perspective on the C4s (84-89/90). They don't have much power, the exterior styling while beautiful is much more dated and the interior is just an incredible time warp to that era. Appealing? perhaps to the few who own them but to the rest of the world I think that interior is a reason most dislike the C4. They are a victim of their generation. Most people from that era who were teens, likely never knew much about the c4. there was no social media or youtube or even internet. If you didn't buy motor trend and car and driver you were clueless. Those who were old enough to purchase C4s are now much older, and prefer the buick like c6s and on plus don't have the time or energy to be tinkering with older cars. Its a sad fact that people outside the corvette world don't look at them more like the kids nowadays who drool over 240sx and other junk that in my time.. youd have to wear a ski mask to drive one because they were so undesired. Most of the ownership that has C4s cant afford Zr-1s or their maintenance and avoid them and talk them down to feel better about themselves. If the ZR-1 was German theyd be triple the price. they are like manual AMG GTs. RWD DOHC 2 seaters.
As for prices they are definitely all over the place. So many have stories and been neglected and since the market isn't hot many owners don't have the time or patience to get more as well as not having the knowledge to list them properly. Add to that there are always the people in corvette world who want original, and while mods really wake up and repair/improve the LT5s shortcomings they become undesierable for the majority. I know for me I can count on half of one hand how many Zs ive seen for sale that I would actually want out of all the ones ive seen over the last 5 years. If I was in the market and had the money I know it wouldn't be a quick search and I'd pay more for the one I wanted. It is what it is and the market doesn't bother me much and usually I choose to avoid these topics online.
Very well said and I share the same feeling.

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 12-07-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Peaven
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Your Z is intriguing and looks like you've got it pretty well sorted out. Just sold my 2017 Shelby GT350 because wifey and I are starting to put the pieces together for retirement in the not too distant future...didn't really want to sell it, the Voodoo was soul stirring just like the LT5. The Shelby, C4 ZR-1, and an AAR Cuda I had back in the day were the most satisfying cars I've ever owned. In fact I got the Shelby because it reminded me so much of the Z, and I miss it already. GLWS, especially if I can maybe work out a deal with you.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Peaven
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Hey Mike, good to see that you're still hanging here also...#13 is looking great!

Get notified of new replies

To Prices all over the place..???

Quick Reply: Prices all over the place..???