C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

No fans

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 AM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default No fans

My fans would run after start up for a few minutes then shut off and never paid them no mine. So, I never noticed that they weren't working until I got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic! Now my question is...is there a fuse blown and where is it located? If not, what?
I have limited mechanical ability and worse electrical knowledge. Detail instructions: where and how, pics would be nice, too.
Thanks
CJ
Old 12-16-2018, 11:06 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 40ZR1
My fans would run after start up for a few minutes then shut off and never paid them no mine. So, I never noticed that they weren't working until I got stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic! Now my question is...is there a fuse blown and where is it located? If not, what?
I have limited mechanical ability and worse electrical knowledge. Detail instructions: where and how, pics would be nice, too.
Thanks
CJ
It should be a LAW that if you buy one of these cars, (now 22-28 years old) that you also buy the appropriate FSM matching the model year to go with it. Do you have an FSM? Model year matters some too. What model year are we talking about?

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-16-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:23 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
It should be a LAW that if you buy one of these cars, (now 22-28 years old) that you also buy the appropriate FSM matching the model year to go with it. Do you have an FSM? Model year matters some too. What model year are we talking about?
Amen! And in this case the Section 8A Electrical Diagnosis Supplement to the FSM.

To help the OP out here is what I referring to.... Start with the diagnostic trees in the post below this one.

Last edited by ccmano; 12-16-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM
ccmano
Drifting

And...

Old 12-16-2018, 02:47 PM
40ZR1
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Paul thanks for the reply. When I posted, I checked for grammar, spelling, punctuation, yada, yada but forgot the damn year. I can only blame it on old age, CRS and...I forgot the other! I do have the two big red books (FSM) is that what you are referring to?
ccmano thanks. Thanks for the reply and pics. Is the Section 8A Electrical Diagnosis Supplement to the FSM a different book? Sorry for such a dumb question but I don't have the FSMs with me.

So I have a 95.

CJ
Old 12-16-2018, 03:30 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Section 8A Electrical Diagnosis Supplement to the FSM is a separate book for 1990. Not sure about 1995. Might actually be in one of your books. The photos in the top post are from the supplement. The post beneath has photos from the 1990 FSM.
H
Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You mentioned the fans run for a few minutes after start-up. So the electrics powering them is OK. Do they run when the AC is making cold? they should be running continuously then if the system has adequate R134.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:02 PM
fxkenny
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I have been put down several times by members here and on the other site for suggesting a FSM is needed.
Thank you for chiming in. There are so many variables in diagnosing a problem that a guide is, in my opinion, necessary to eliminate the possible causes in an orderly manner.
The FSM's may not always be 100% accurate, nor will they lead you to the problem every time, but they will assist in elimanating a lot of probabilities.
The information obtained from other members is invaluable, but a certain "method to the madness" needs to be followed.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:12 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

My favorite ('lectric chit) troubleshooting tool is the electrical schematic. After that, it's my trusty VOM. (Back in my radar fixin' dayz in UNCLE SAM'S HAZE GREY YACHT CLUB it was a schematic, Simpson 260 (VOM), and a dual trace Tektronixs 545 o'scope. But, I digress...)

As a matter of fact, that ol' Tek scope would still come in danged handy for troubleshooting certain dynamic automotive phenomenon, e.g., O2 sensor performance, TB linearity, all kinds of sensor performance i.e., ignition circuits and injector dwell....

Last edited by Paul Workman; 12-23-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:33 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Are the red things on that where you tie up the horses when you go for a beer?
Merry Christmas!
Marty

Get notified of new replies

To No fans

Quick Reply: No fans