C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

new zr1 clutch

Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default new zr1 clutch

I want to bounce a suggestion and ask for assistance on this one. My target RWHP is 550 and around 460 torq

I currently have a fidanza and solid hub lt1 disk (rattles but good streetability, ok at strip for a run or two (hero run)

I'm looking at a couple of options

jerry's dual disk
stock dual mass with a better disk for up to 700 rwhp 550 torq
steel flywheel redrilled for high pressure PP with good disk
or along those lines, would an LS9 dual disk be able to be fitted with the right disks??

goals,, not running through the clutch during limited drag racing (drag radials) 4.10 gears

good streetablility (not too worried about noise on this one :> )
durability up to 800 ft lbs of torq for future growth without sacrificing pedal feel.

thoughts???

Last edited by Rkreigh; 01-11-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 AM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,080 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Ron, what are you running in your TT C5Z?
Old 01-13-2019, 10:17 AM
A26B
Drifting

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I want to bounce a suggestion and ask for assistance on this one. My target RWHP is 550 and around 460 torq

I currently have a fidanza and solid hub lt1 disk (rattles but good streetability, ok at strip for a run or two (hero run)

I'm looking at a couple of options

jerry's dual disk
stock dual mass with a better disk for up to 700 rwhp 550 torq
steel flywheel redrilled for high pressure PP with good disk
or along those lines, would an LS9 dual disk be able to be fitted with the right disks??

goals,, not running through the clutch during limited drag racing (drag radials) 4.10 gears

good streetablility (not too worried about noise on this one :> )
durability up to 800 ft lbs of torq for future growth without sacrificing pedal feel.

thoughts???
Ron,
There'a a lot of difference between where you started @ 460 torque & ended up at up to 800 torque. Obviously, any clutch that handles 800 will easily take care of anything below it. The Ram DD Clutch Kit with metallic discs will do the job, pedal pressure is very comfortable but engagement is not going to be as smooth as an organic type disc. If you read all the detailed descriptions on JerrysGaskets website, the differences are pretty well detailed.
What is your goal with the "re-drilled" steel flywheel? Just a heavier single mass than the typical aluminum? The Rippie 8 bolt L98 flywheels are essentially extinct now. PM me or better yet, give me a call to discuss viable options for flywheels in the same weight range.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:17 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by A26B
Ron,
There'a a lot of difference between where you started @ 460 torque & ended up at up to 800 torque. Obviously, any clutch that handles 800 will easily take care of anything below it. The Ram DD Clutch Kit with metallic discs will do the job, pedal pressure is very comfortable but engagement is not going to be as smooth as an organic type disc. If you read all the detailed descriptions on JerrysGaskets website, the differences are pretty well detailed.
What is your goal with the "re-drilled" steel flywheel? Just a heavier single mass than the typical aluminum? The Rippie 8 bolt L98 flywheels are essentially extinct now. PM me or better yet, give me a call to discuss viable options for flywheels in the same weight range.
gee I wish the LSV put down 800 torq That's the turbo c5 and it's now running a RPM racing automatic (yes an auto z, bolts right up)

the dual disk is a great alternative and the organic would do just fine, it's my fav, but the rattle and weight is up there

a single mass steel flywheel will hopefully change the resonance in the clutch stack and not be quite so noisey although the LSV sounds like a diesel truck with the fidanza now and noise really isn't the big driver

LOTS of concern about dual disk installation but I believe you've engineered out those early issues and that should NOT be a concern.

the advantage of a bit heavier clutch for me would be more inertia off the line. the flyweight flywheels are great and all, and probably have kept me from breaking my **** before now.

and being a cheap b@st@rd (yea I know WHY did you buy a ZR-1 then? ;> I'm looking to keep the build budget down.

I just got all the shiney block and cleaned up pistons and rods and heads are back together so it's show and go time. bust a muv.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:06 AM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ron,
Talk to Phil, He was running the Ram DD clutch and did rattle a lot, not sure if he is till running it or what is plan is for the 427.
Rich
Old 01-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Scrrem
Ron,
Talk to Phil, He was running the Ram DD clutch and did rattle a lot, not sure if he is till running it or what is plan is for the 427.
Rich
phil wasn't happy with the noise at all and he's going to try a heavier steel flywheel setup this time

That big old thumper will need it very nice dual disk setup

You know I would seek out Dr Phil in a minute!!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:15 AM
A26B
Drifting

phil wasn't happy with the noise at all and he's going to try a heavier steel flywheel setup this time

That big old thumper will need it very nice dual disk setup

You know I would seek out Dr Phil in a minute!!
You can special order the RAM Clutch, single or dual disc, with a steel flywheel instead of aluminum for virtually the same cost.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

thanks for chiming in Jerry. I think that might be a good way to go to reduce noise.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:46 AM
A26B
Drifting

thanks for chiming in Jerry. I think that might be a good way to go to reduce noise.
FYI : Comparison of OE to RAM DD weights. DD clutch has one sprung hub & one solid hub

TRM = Total Rotating Mass, Flywheel, Clutch Disc(s) Floater & Pressure Plate

Stock, OE Flywheel/Clutch TRM = 58.5 lbs
RAM DD w/Alum FW TRM = 34.8 lbs
RAM DD w/Steel FW TRM = 59.8 lbs

In my 415, the noise only occurs when in neutral with clutch engaged.

Last edited by A26B; 02-02-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by A26B
FYI : Comparison of OE to RAM DD weights. DD clutch has one sprung hub & one solid hub

TRM = Total Rotating Mass, Flywheel, Clutch Disc(s) Floater & Pressure Plate

Stock, OE Flywheel/Clutch TRM = 58.5 lbs
RAM DD w/Alum FW TRM = 34.8 lbs
RAM DD w/Steel FW TRM = 59.8 lbs

In my 415, the noise only occurs when in neutral with clutch engaged.
The ram dd alum fw actually looks really good to me!! if it's too loud I'll turn up the stereo
the b&b with x pipe is pretty rowdy so I don't worry too much about the noise

I have a pair of "flapper tips" I'm dying to try on the b&b to quiet down the idle and crooze when needed
Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I'm running a fidanza with a stock clutch set up in my 91....Car is ported and cammed w 445WHP......Being a little ignorant and not to knowledgeable about clutches I should have went with a sprung hub disc when the motor was out and being worked on....Most have done that and has cut down on the noise somewhat, some even have no noise...

The noise sounds like a buzz saw in the lower RPM range and lower gears......Clears up entirely when rpm gets to about 2,500.....Don't mind the rattle in neutral, don't bother me, but man, in the lower gears depending how I'm driving the noise is louder than my exhaust, which is full OBX headers and cat back....

I'm guessing it depends on the car and the year since I think Chevy went to a different type of trans in later years...

I drove a 95 Z with a fidanza and stock clutch set up and it really only rattled in neutral, that car was cammed also...

I don't know, I'm basically used to it and the car does spin up faster with the fidanza but, would a sprung hub disc mitigate some of this issue?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

The rattling from using a SM FW can be mitigated thru:

1. Trans fluid
2. Sprung hub disc
3. Proper Idle tuning esp. if u have cams
Old 02-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
The rattling from using a SM FW can be mitigated thru:

1. Trans fluid
2. Sprung hub disc
3. Proper Idle tuning esp. if u have cams
true that! the lsv is finally going back together! I'd like to try the redline stuff this go around. My car seems to like around 1000 idle speed to smooth out with the stg II cams

Get notified of new replies

To new zr1 clutch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new zr1 clutch