C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Is this a good deal? What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 AM
livin
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Is this a good deal? What's it worth?

Hi,

I am looking for a nice Z to drive on sunny days and have found a 95 with 60,950 miles for $17,988.00 it's black on black. Clean car fax. Used car dealer. 4 owner car originally in new York till 98 and 11,000 miles. Clean clean car, but according to vin car had 2 tops now car has only the glass top and it was professionally painted black? Not sure why. Going to look at it tomorrow. Thoughts on what it's worth? Just recently started looking for a Z, or GS coupe your advice is appreciated. What's this 95 worth with no real history or correct top and 60,950 miles.

Thanks,

Jake
Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 AM
Dredgeguy
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Suggest you also ask on the ZR-1 Net Forum and post up the VIN number. We might have some additional information for you. A clean 95 is a good find. I think it is a fair price but see if you can find out if it has any mods or what maintenance has been done.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

For a 95’ with that mileage, assuming everything it functional and needs little to nothing, that is a very fair price. If it’s a dealer haggle some more to get the price down further.
I agree go over to the ZR1.net forum and ask referencing the VIN. There may very well be some history on it.
H
Old 01-20-2019, 11:33 AM
livin
Drifting

Originally Posted by ccmano
For a 95’ with that mileage, assuming everything it functional and needs little to nothing, that is a very fair price. If it’s a dealer haggle some more to get the price down further.
I agree go over to the ZR1.net forum and ask referencing the VIN. There may very well be some history on it.
H
thanks! What sub forum should I go to at the net?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:55 AM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by livin

thanks! What sub forum should I go to at the net?
Just the general forum will do. It ultimately depends whether a previous owner(s) was a member or not.
Good luck. BTW you luv the car one way or another.
H
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 PM
livin
Drifting

Originally Posted by ccmano

Just the general forum will do. It ultimately depends whether a previous owner(s) was a member or not.
Good luck. BTW you luv the car one way or another.
H
I have just registered in the ZR-1 Registry. They won’t let me post yet. The vin is #57
if anyone can post it for me to try and uncover any history that would be awesome.

Thanks,
jake
Old 01-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Something seems a little too good to be...quite right (to me). If the car had original paint, the price would be very reasonable to a little under (maybe). But, add the fact that it is repainted, AND at a DEALER gives "cause for pause".

Depending, a paint job would cost you or me between $5-10k, depending on how much prep work you could do yourself. Let's say you or the DEALER had it painted: take 3-5K of the price and now we have a 95 with probable "issues".

Maybe it is the deal of the decade, and it IS winter time. But, all things considered, one would want to "keep one foot on the dock to see if the "boat" floats before going all in.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:15 PM
livin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Something seems a little too good to be...quite right (to me). If the car had original paint, the price would be very reasonable to a little under (maybe). But, add the fact that it is repainted, AND at a DEALER gives "cause for pause".

Depending, a paint job would cost you or me between $5-10k, depending on how much prep work you could do yourself. Let's say you or the DEALER had it painted: take 3-5K of the price and now we have a 95 with probable "issues".

Maybe it is the deal of the decade, and it IS winter time. But, all things considered, one would want to "keep one foot on the dock to see if the "boat" floats before going all in.
The paint was just regarding the targa top. Paint on the car was decent but needed corrections.

I just spent the morning going to inspect #57. It’s rough. Wet. Wheel Rash. Needing tires. Needing targa and door seals. Needs weatherstripping and so much love I walked away.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:09 AM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by livin

The paint was just regarding the targa top. Paint on the car was decent but needed corrections.

I just spent the morning going to inspect #57. It’s rough. Wet. Wheel Rash. Needing tires. Needing targa and door seals. Needs weatherstripping and so much love I walked away.

good decision! These are a pay now or pay later kinda car. Buy the absolute best example you can afford up front and you will not regret it. Condition is everything on these cars, you can find same year for $20k or for $30k..... there is usually a good reason on price difference. Find one that has had all the typical zr1 issues already addressed and then you can just enjoy it instead of spending the next year throwing your time/money at it trying to get it up to par.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The reason for the paint glass top a lot of times the surface is rough,painting it for a quick sale. If the original paint ol it should have the VIN etched into the frame. That was a fair price for that car.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
The reason for the paint glass top a lot of times the surface is rough,painting it for a quick sale. If the original paint ol it should have the VIN etched into the frame. That was a fair price for that car.
Very common, and very fair. Sounds like the OP was looking for a $25k car at a dealer for $18k. If I had to guess, I'd say someone inherited the car, traded it in to a dealer for $10-$12k, who then tried to quick sell it for $18k, and who probably would have taken less. From the description, the problems were all very common, and very easily fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a good deal? What's it worth?

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? What's it worth?