Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 ZR-1 Discussion
Reload this Page >

alert alert. any zr1 owners in the santa rosa area?

Notices
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

alert alert. any zr1 owners in the santa rosa area?

Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 AM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default alert alert. any zr1 owners in the santa rosa area?

please let me know if you would be willing to check out a car for me.

she is high miles. supposedly burns a bit of oil but then again, and after heat soak, the starter won't fire until it cools off.

i've read for the early lt5's oil consumption can be present. havn't researched the starter yet.

i'd be happy to send some money to a fellow forum member who would have a look for me.

VikingTrad3r
Old 02-03-2019, 02:38 AM
ZR-71
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Well, the failed start up can be a common problem for the early cars. Mine did that after the engine heated up but would start when it cooled off. I By passed the Delay start relay and clutch switch and the problem went away.
Santa Rosa is two hours away from me and I just donít have the time. Maybe someone else can check it for you.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:06 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Wish I could help but Iím 4 hrs away. I just refurbed a high miler myself, 180k miles. Fun project if your into that sort of thing. The starting issue is common. Likely the starter solenoid but there are other causes as you will find when you research. Oil burning is common to some degree on all LT5ís depending on how they are used. The 90ís more so because of the lack of exhaust valve stem seals. Donít make the same mistake I did. I changed out the engine thinking I had oil ring issues (great compression). Turned out the lower injector housing gaskets had failed. Itís appears that loose injector housings and failed gaskets are a high mile thing on these engines. Oil is drawn in from the crankcase breather galley. These engines are pretty tough. Worn out bottom ends, cylinders and even head issues are not common even on high mile engines. Doesnít mean it canít happen but not likely.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 02-03-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I am on the wrong coast otherwise would have tried to help.
However, you might want to share the price, miles and condition of the car as you know it to be.
Oftentimes, we hear of a bargain priced car, that becomes much less of a bargain once the cost of needed repairs are factored in, even with the buyer doing the labor themselves.
As an example, a $10,000.00 car needing $5,000.00 in work, that afterwards, due to it's overall condition may only be worth,$12,000- $15,000.00.
But a $15,000.00 car, may with mild cleaning and small fixes, might be worth $15,000- $20,000.00, have far less mileage and be in far better overall conduction giving you many years and miles of smiles.
Now it is a moot point, if in this example, the buyer only has the $10,000.00.
ZR-1's right now have pricing all over the place.
Great time to look at many cars, and find the best car for the budget that you have.
There are stories every week of very fine cars selling at very low prices.
So don't dive in too quickly, until you have looked at and evaluated all of the available cars out there,
You may find a seller willing to take far less than their asking price.
Then again, if you have been searching for months, you may have found your best choice.
Keep us posted, as there are many happy to help.
Best of Luck!

Marty
Old 02-03-2019, 03:44 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Good point Marty, the price has to be right. Mine started out being advertised for $12k. When I got to it, it was down to $9.5k, which was probably a decent price. After I pointed out some issues and further negotiation I bought it for $6800. A bargain as far as I am concerned. Today I’m probably in it about $10-11k albeit with considerable work done by myself.
H
Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 PM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

mano did you reseal the entire engine? did you sevice while on the car or did u yoink the engine?
Old 02-03-2019, 05:41 PM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r View Post
mano did you reseal the entire engine? did you sevice while on the car or did u yoink the engine?
Sent you a PM.
H

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alert alert. any zr1 owners in the santa rosa area?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: