C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

1990 zr1

Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 AM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Based on the mold in that interior, combined with all the air fresheners hanging from gear shift / out of vents, it makes me immediately suspect flood damage.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR WON
Based on the mold in that interior, combined with all the air fresheners hanging from gear shift / out of vents, it makes me immediately suspect flood damage.

Brian A.
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not quite stock
That was my thought as well. One way to tell is look up under the dash with a flashlight to see if there is mud or dirt or a water line.Hard to clean it there so usually that's where it will show for sure. A flood car usually means replacing about everything electronic or fabric. --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 04-07-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:32 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Im 55 years old ....Still try to stay in shape basically...At my age I don't think I would try to tackle that type of job....

I remember the days of putting in a transmission on a duster using jack stands,on the street no less !!! Those days are just over for me..

If I really wanted a Z at this stage of the game I would take my time and get a decent sorted out one for mid teens...

From the looks of that car especially the engine bay and interior it actually could be a flood car....Just look at the entire dash and hoses inside the engine bay...They are all similar type of wear and corrosion...Maybe, maybe you can part car out..

Last edited by zrc3john; 04-07-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Pass.

You will have 10,000 into that car in a blink of an eye, and that is if there is no engine damage, which when added to the 6,000 buy price just does not make sense.
Those cinder blocks it is sitting on suggest the car is sitting on the rockers and floor pan, likely cracking it.
As someone said earlier, you can buy a running and sorted out car for that kind of investment.
That car is a full resto candidate, which in time will be cost effective, but certainly not now.
Run Forrest, Run!

Marty
Old 04-08-2019, 05:30 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Pass.

You will have 10,000 into that car in a blink of an eye, and that is if there is no engine damage, which when added to the 6,000 buy price just does not make sense.
Those cinder blocks it is sitting on suggest the car is sitting on the rockers and floor pan, likely cracking it.
As someone said earlier, you can buy a running and sorted out car for that kind of investment.
That car is a full resto candidate, which in time will be cost effective, but certainly not now.
Run Forrest, Run!

Marty
unless you want to take it apart and part it out pass. You won't make as much as you think either as that car is in bad shape

buy a nice one for 17-20k That car is a labor of love and huge $$ and not worth it.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:58 AM
mmkkpro
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bought the 90Z

What's up guys, first I want to thank everyone who replied, it means a lot to me to get everyone's opinions.
I bought the car, I am picking it up this coming Saturday. The guy I bought it from traded a jeep to his friend for the z 4 years ago. The friends uncle bought the car new in 1990. While the nephew had the car the fuel pump went out and it was parked, after some time sitting the jeep was traded for it and the guy I got it from planned on fixing it up. He is giving me, new fuel pump, new starter, new clutch and associated parts. He even has the GM shop manual for the lt5/ZR1 laying in the front seat. The plugs were removed and he completely filled the cylinders with marvel mystery oil, The engine turns with a socket and ratchet. Underneath the car looks good.
The guy is very nice and has a firm handshake, guess that's one way I judge a person's character, he does not seem particularly mechanically inclined to me plus he says he is very busy, he lives in a big nice house with a hummer, Harley, and another car. I don't think he really needs the money, I think he is being honest with me about the car and I promised him I would get her running and drive it like it was meant to be driven. He did say that he didn't want to see the car parted out and I agree.
Anyhow I sold one of my drag cars yesterday, made the deal and the Z will be sitting in my garage hopefully by 2pm this coming Saturday, I'm excited, proud and scared all at the same time. I could have bought a C5 or C6 but I have always liked the C4, I think it's highly under valued. It's an important part of the Corvette history. Thanks agian to everyone for the input will post some pics and in sure I will be asking a lot of questions. 👍👍🏁
Old 04-14-2019, 04:56 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by mmkkpro
What's up guys, first I want to thank everyone who replied, it means a lot to me to get everyone's opinions.
I bought the car, I am picking it up this coming Saturday. The guy I bought it from traded a jeep to his friend for the z 4 years ago. The friends uncle bought the car new in 1990. While the nephew had the car the fuel pump went out and it was parked, after some time sitting the jeep was traded for it and the guy I got it from planned on fixing it up. He is giving me, new fuel pump, new starter, new clutch and associated parts. He even has the GM shop manual for the lt5/ZR1 laying in the front seat. The plugs were removed and he completely filled the cylinders with marvel mystery oil, The engine turns with a socket and ratchet. Underneath the car looks good.
The guy is very nice and has a firm handshake, guess that's one way I judge a person's character, he does not seem particularly mechanically inclined to me plus he says he is very busy, he lives in a big nice house with a hummer, Harley, and another car. I don't think he really needs the money, I think he is being honest with me about the car and I promised him I would get her running and drive it like it was meant to be driven. He did say that he didn't want to see the car parted out and I agree.
Anyhow I sold one of my drag cars yesterday, made the deal and the Z will be sitting in my garage hopefully by 2pm this coming Saturday, I'm excited, proud and scared all at the same time. I could have bought a C5 or C6 but I have always liked the C4, I think it's highly under valued. It's an important part of the Corvette history. Thanks agian to everyone for the input will post some pics and in sure I will be asking a lot of questions. 👍👍🏁
Congratulations! I am looking forward to seeing your progress. Please come over to zr1netregistry.com Theres a ton of knowledgeable guys over there with great ideas and insight.... Its a tight knot group and allot of the parts that you think arent available, actually are.... just have to know where and who to get them from.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:26 PM
mmkkpro
Intermediate

Default Thanks 81c3

I will definitely pay you guys a visit, the photos look worse than it actually is I think. The pine straw over the engine is it , it's actually a clean engine under that. I know it's going to be a job getting it back but I'm up for it. The photo of it being outside was when the current owner first got it, it's inside now and I looked it over pretty well. First I'm going to detail it, see how it looks and then decide my next move. I paid 5500.00 for it so it's paid for that's a plus. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:18 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

It is worth it to park out , not to bring back. That being said, it's still a Z so if you don't mind spending$25k+ to have a car you can buy for $20k then I say go for it.

If it's a flood vehicle you're better off just parting it.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 PM
mmkkpro
Intermediate

Default Flood vehicle

In NC it's against the law to try, much less sell a flood vehicle, if it turns out to be so I will get the money back, that being said I really don't believe it is anyone who lives in the southeast know what happens when ya park a car under pine trees and this is it. I looked it over very well and there is no mud underneath or in the carpet, I think it's mostly mildew from sitting for around 5 years, the last 4 it's been inside his garage. I appreciate what you are saying. My neighbor does full rotisserie restorations and his worry is not being able to actually hear it run and that to me is where the risk is at this point. The guy seems legit to me and I'm taking him at his word. Thanks for replying, full speed ahead.

Last edited by mmkkpro; 04-14-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 642 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Glad to hear it was saved,don’t see too many white/red 90s.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:07 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! If it had to make financial sense to restore a car, half or more of the restored classics out there wouldn’t exist. If you like it, have the money, the abilities or both, I say go for it. I luv seeing another neglected Z getting a new lease on life.
H
Old 04-14-2019, 10:04 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by mmkkpro
In NC it's against the law to try, much less sell a flood vehicle, if it turns out to be so I will get the money back, that being said I really don't believe it is anyone who lives in the southeast know what happens when ya park a car under pine trees and this is it. I looked it over very well and there is no mud underneath or in the carpet, I think it's mostly mildew from sitting for around 5 years, the last 4 it's been inside his garage. I appreciate what you are saying. My neighbor does full rotisserie restorations and his worry is not being able to actually hear it run and that to me is where the risk is at this point. The guy seems legit to me and I'm taking him at his word. Thanks for replying, full speed ahead.

i assume u pulled a carfax on it so that should give u comfort.

recently i had the opportunity buy a high mileage Z for a similar price as you have here, there was title issues and right as i entered into discussions with the seller my wife ended up with a burst appendix. i sorted the title issues out while sitting beside her in the recovery room but i was a day late somebody else had bought the car.

ive been pi$$ed ever since. i think its great u got the car. u may very well have to strip the interior and give it a crazy wash. or just a new carpet set for $400 off ebay.

the goal with cars like this isnt to restore them to oem condition. its to get them going and drive them!!
u r NEVER going to worry about putting miles on it to affect resale.

good find and try to make yourself a refurb thread so we can follow along or just keep posting on this one

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-14-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:07 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Congratulations. I'm glad to see a ZR-1 "saved."

Good luck on the project and keep us posted.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM
G8nightman
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 zr1