C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Looking for Hawk brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 03:14 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Looking for Hawk brake pads

Anyone know where we can get these for our cars? I would prefer to get some feedback here before just purchasing at a speed shot who claims they will fit. I am going to be doing a HPDE event at the NCM track next month. They recommended Hawk HPS.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:49 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,083 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

KNS Brakes is a forum sponsor on this site. Good people to deal with. https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/14...uty+Suspension
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

We'd like to help if possible. Hawk does make pads for the C4 but a Hawk HPS is a street pad.

Unless you are really going slow they will not fare well at a track event.

Ken
Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I love the HAWK HSP pads for general and some spirited driving use - have used them for both at the RM runs in the Appalachian Mts AND the Rock Mt Run last summer - (think high speed "TAIL OF THE DRAGON"!). The HSPs were great! I like "twisty" driving, and the Hawk HSPs have proven to be good beyond the normal street pad application, for sure.

But, HPDE track racing is another level above. For that perhaps the KNS or the like is the answer (but I can't speak from personal experience - far as the KNS pads go...). One thing great about the ZR-1s is the ease at which the pads can be swapped, i.e., after a track event, (racing pads) switching back to "normal" driving pads I find is pretty simple.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
We'd like to help if possible. Hawk does make pads for the C4 but a Hawk HPS is a street pad.

Unless you are really going slow they will not fare well at a track event.

Ken
Thanks for the input. I will contact you and get some pads for the event. I also would like pads for my 700 Hp C3. I have Wilwood calipers but they accept standard center pin pads. I need lots more grab. I am using the pads that came with the kit and I honestly don’t think there is enough grab to lock the tires up.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:01 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by KJL
Thanks for the input. I will contact you and get some pads for the event. I also would like pads for my 700 Hp C3. I have Wilwood calipers but they accept standard center pin pads. I need lots more grab. I am using the pads that came with the kit and I honestly don’t think there is enough grab to lock the tires up.
There are a few different Wilwood pad shapes - and they can come in multiple thicknesses so see what you can figure out. Wilwood has well defined pad plate #'s

Ken
Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

There are a few different Wilwood pad shapes - and they can come in multiple thicknesses so see what you can figure out. Wilwood has well defined pad plate #'s

Ken
They use stock D8 4 piston brake pads center pin. Do you need more info?
Old 04-18-2019, 07:28 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KJL
They use stock D8 4 piston brake pads center pin. Do you need more info?
also they recommended pentosin super DOT 4 fluid. I picked some up but realized it was the LV type (low viscosity). Has the same specs as the super but suited more for cold weather applications. Not sure I I should use this. Planning on doing a 4 corner gravity bleed to replace old fluid.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:08 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Thanks - and have fun at NCM.

Techna-Fit makes SS lines for the C4 cars if you are interested. They make to order in Indiana and are $109 for all four.

-Ken
Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

I've been using Hawk HP+ pads for autocrossing for the past 15+ years and absolutely love them on the track. For the street, the first stop takes a little more pedal pressure but after that, they're great. Going from the stock pads to the HP+ pads was like going from manual brakes to power brakes. The brake feel is very linear and it's very easy to modulate braking force. They do squeal a little at times on the street but it doesn't bother me. They also create a lot of dust (especially on track day) and they eat the rotors, but not too bad as I still have the original rotors on my '93 ZR-1. Definitely go to the best brake fluid you can get, DOT 4 isn't going to be good enough. These pads can create and stand a lot of heat, you'll need brake fluid that can keep up with them. To give you an idea of how high the temps get in that area, the rubber on my caliper dust boots melted.

There may be better pads out there but I'm very happy with the HP+.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:53 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I've been using Hawk HP+ pads for autocrossing for the past 15+ years and absolutely love them on the track. For the street, the first stop takes a little more pedal pressure but after that, they're great. Going from the stock pads to the HP+ pads was like going from manual brakes to power brakes. The brake feel is very linear and it's very easy to modulate braking force. They do squeal a little at times on the street but it doesn't bother me. They also create a lot of dust (especially on track day) and they eat the rotors, but not too bad as I still have the original
rotors on my '93 ZR-1. Definitely go to the best brake fluid you can get, DOT 4 isn't going to be good enough. These pads can create and stand a lot of heat, you'll need brake fluid that can keep up with them. To give you an idea of how high the temps get in that area, the rubber on my caliper dust boots melted.

There may be better pads out there but I'm very happy with the HP+.
i am going with the HP+ for my Z. Ken is great to deal with. Also putting a set on the front of my C3. For my first time to the track I sure the Pentosin DOT 4 will be fine. That is what is recommended.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Techna-Fit makes SS lines for the C4 cars if you are interested. They make to order in Indiana and are $109 for all four.

-Ken
Ken-is there a special way I need to bed these brakes? I usually scuff the rotors with 400 grit sand paper and run a series of drive and stop cycles at various speeds.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:15 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

-Ken
Got the pads on my Z last weekend. I love them! I will use them on the street as well. Can’t wait to get them on my 72!

Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Hawk brake pads

Quick Reply: Looking for Hawk brake pads