Notices
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

auto headlights?

Old 05-13-2019, 01:22 PM
ZED-R1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto headlights?

Anyone out there know if there is a way to disable automatic headlight function? Even when the headlight selector is in the off position, it seems they are always on auto-mode based on the sensor on the dash.

Having had the car a couple weeks now - it seems to me this feature is overly sensitive. ex; headlights can come on just from driving under the shade of an overpass in broad daylight. Or every time I drive in to my garage.

(not that they actually provide any light!!)

Seems like it is a Canadian market thing based on what I've found in the owner's manual, but curious if there is a fix.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM
ZR1Bob
CF Senior Member

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ZED-R1 View Post
Anyone out there know if there is a way to disable automatic headlight function? Even when the headlight selector is in the off position, it seems they are always on auto-mode based on the sensor on the dash.

Having had the car a couple weeks now - it seems to me this feature is overly sensitive. ex; headlights can come on just from driving under the shade of an overpass in broad daylight. Or every time I drive in to my garage.

(not that they actually provide any light!!)

Seems like it is a Canadian market thing based on what I've found in the owner's manual, but curious if there is a fix.

Thanks!
I believe Canadian law requires that Daytime Running Lights be on all the time, whereas optional in the US,although I don't know if this applies to mid-'90s car.. I also don't know if DRLs in Canada mean the full headlights are on--usually they use lower brightness lamps. --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 05-14-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:57 PM
ZED-R1

Canadian law did require DRLs at the time this was produced, and it is often high beams at half power. On the C4 they actually use the turn signals staying full on.

The DRL's and headlights seem to operate under the same light sensor system.

When the parking brake is released, DRL's go on as long as the light sensor detects light and the light switch is set to off.

When the sensor finds low light and it will turn off the turn signal DRL's and open up the headlights regardless of the position of the light switch. And it doesn't take much low light to force the headlights on.

Would prefer to control the headlights manually but that doesn't seem to be an option.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 PM
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 972 Posts

I would think that you could add a manual switch in the E-brake circuit to make the DRL module see E-brake 'ON'. That switch would allow you total manual control, I'd think.

What year car and do you have the FSM yet?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-14-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:32 PM
ZED-R1

it's a 1991 and I received an FSM from previous owner .....
Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 PM
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 972 Posts

Spend some time @ 8A-104-0 & forward in the electrical section to review the actual operation, wiring and diagnostics. I believe a 'talented' person could create a situation/operation that suits you. Simple? Unlikely but I imagine quite possible. 8A-201-15 might be of interest also. The actual module is the same all years but wiring would change year to year.

8A-201 section of the FSM has much very good info for a C4 owner.

***The DRL also won't function with less than 9V or greater than 18V so you might be able to figure out how to control voltage. to it. Might be an interesting adventure!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-14-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 AM
ccmano
CF Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

If you donít already have it, you will need the 1991 Electrical Diagnosis Service Manual supplement that WVZR-1 is referring to. If you get into anything electrical or electronic on the car this manual is invaluable.
H
Old 05-16-2019, 03:19 PM
ZED-R1

oof --- ok it might take some time for me to work up the 'talent' to tinker with this.

I don't seem to have a section 8A supplement manual. Only the standard FSM ---- there is some general info about the light sensor in 8B and 8C, but nothing about diagnosis. Suppose it is something I can live with.

Turns out the DRL sensor isn't the thing I thought it was so at least I learned something! It's located in front of the steering wheel (Canada only), not the "sunload temperature sensor" in the center of the dash pad.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:33 AM
DDSLT5
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There is no DRL sensor. The sensor you speak of simply controls when the headlights are triggered to turn on automatically (Canadian thing on 91 and up Zs). My 90 has DRLs - they are not simply the running lights being turned on - that is too dim. They are the same as the intensity when the turn signal is at the highest level during operation - but all the time. They turn on when the parking brake is released.

To defeat the auto function, remove the light sensor (on the dash in front of the steering wheel), and insert something (a penny works well) to complete the circuit, but tells the BCM that there is intense light at all times, therefore keeping the headlights off.

Dirt cheap solution - enjoy!
Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 PM
ZED-R1

excellent! thanks for that. Seems the hardest part is finding a penny!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto headlights?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: