Notices
C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Reverse Lights not working

Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM
akotual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Lights not working

Hi there I have a 1991 ZR1 and the back up lights do not work when I shift into reverse and the third brake light also doesn't work? Anyone else have these problems?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:50 PM
secondchance
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by akotual View Post
Hi there I have a 1991 ZR1 and the back up lights do not work when I shift into reverse and the third brake light also doesn't work? Anyone else have these problems?
Suggest you start with the obvious.
Back up light - most likely caused by back up switch mounted on the driver side of the transmission. Can be bought at corvettecentral, mid America, etc.
3rd brake light (CHMSL) - start with light bulbs.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:57 PM
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

The light bulbs are the easiest place to start. The back up light switch is on the driver side of the transmission and itís really tucked up high on the trans. I have a rat rod with a ZF that I took the CAGS solenoid off of and I swear that was the only way to snake my hand up in there to get to it. If your CAGS solenoid is still in place itís a very tight fit.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:49 PM
fxkenny
CF Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To verify switch remove wiring connector from switch and jump between contacts. (Trans in reverse, key on) If the lights work it is a faulty switch. Pretty common ZF issue.
Here's a pic of what you need if you determine the switch is faulty.
Replacement switch
Long, slim design 3/8" swivel ratchet.
O-2 sensor socket.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:25 PM
billschroeder5842
ZenVette Master level VII
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Suggest you start with the obvious.
Back up light - most likely caused by back up switch mounted on the driver side of the transmission. Can be bought at corvettecentral, mid America, etc.
3rd brake light (CHMSL) - start with light bulbs.
This is your solution as it is very common. Rather than jacking with the install myself (I looked and surrendered quickly too tight quarters from a driveway jack) I took my part to one of the "Jiffy Quick" oil changes places. They were able to get under it from the oil change booth and swap it in and out in less than 10 minutes. I'm a regular customer so they were going to do it for free, but I brought them a 12 pack.

The beer based economy is alive and well.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:00 AM
FASTAZU
CF Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 279 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

As far as the 3rd brake light (CHMSL) Check the switch on the pedal. If I remember correctly it has two sides white for the tail lamps and the light blue wire is the one that powers the CHMSL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse Lights not working

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: