C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

95 ZR1 on Barrett Jackson coming up on the block

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:36 PM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
Default 95 ZR1 on Barrett Jackson coming up on the block

The purple 95 ZR1 formerly owned by Hib Halverson about to hit the block in the next 20-30 minutes.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:24 PM
98IndyPacer
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, just hammered at $17,500.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:25 PM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Wow! It went for $17,000.00 figuring in fees you know that had to hurt.
The following users liked this post:
xlr8nflorida (07-04-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:46 PM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Don't look but in a bit a red 90 ZR1 is coming on the block. I have seen the car on ebay before it has a large ZR1 graphic across the left rear and right around 40 k miles. The real winner with these auctions is Craig Jackson and Steve Davis.
Steven_Belgium (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:29 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

They are selling to cheap. Parts are the main problem and will get worse! Just love the C4 bought mine new and drove it to Carisle the day i picked up at Grody Chevrolet. Flaw less auto still have it (retired Garage Queen)
Old 06-29-2019, 07:51 PM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

I think it's only partly the parts problem. Which you can have with many other vehicles. A lot has to do with the bad wrap the C4 is receiving in general. From day one the complaint about the ZR1 was too little distinction between it and the base Corvette. There was a bigger distinction between the 90 ZR1 and the base 90 coupe. But when GM fitted the new rear bumper facia to the base Corvette in 91 that distinction got even less. This is something they learned going forward. Buyers spending so much money want more for the dollar. They want their automobiles to stand out. The thing is look back to the early 70's. The Trans Am stood out and there is no way you could mistake one for a regular base model or even a Formula. Something they kept doing right up until the end of second gen production. It's hit or miss when designing an automobile to begin with. Remember the Edsel? I guess GM thought they were doing enough with the ZR1 as far as body treatments. I think they did learn though. Just look at the 96 Grand Sport which usually now outsells the rest of the C4 models. The ZR1's that crossed the block at Barret Jackson were no more than used cars. Neither was a low mileage example. Not saying that a low mileage one would set the market on fire. In reality they won't. Unless you find just the right buyer. At auction it takes more than that.

There are some places asking near $45,000.00 for a 91 ZR1 with under 7000 miles but with later ZR1 A molds and aftermarket parts like headers and exhaust. They will never sell that car for that money. You can see it at Vanguard Motor Sales. They are way off. Not even in the ballpark. You can get a car that would be closer to NCRS ready for about $15 K less. When I bought my second ZR1 I made up my mind I was looking for the most bang for the buck. A car that had been modified by the right person. ( Lingenfelter, DRM, Haibeck, Henderson ) Most of the C4's just aren't bringing lots of money. You can find plenty of cars with low mileage. I see plenty of very low mile 91 coupes and convertibles. I'm sure not going to pay over 12 grand to acquire one. There are very low mile cars and the sellers are asking over 20 K. No way when I can buy plenty of other Corvettes that will blow the doors and paint right off their sides would I spend that much for any L98 car. Hell you can buy ZR1's for less with anywhere from 30k and up mileage. The internal combustion engine will be dead and buried before C4 prices ever get where their owners really want them to be. Especially with the dawn of the C8 only weeks or days away. C4's will be right in the middle. But at the lower end of the collector market. Oh and please don't get mad at me. It's not my fault. I happen to love all Corvettes and have only owned C4's. But my next one will be what I grew up coveting as a kid. A 68-72 C3.

Last edited by ZWILDZR1; 06-29-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: mileage
Steven_Belgium (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 09:41 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Agree with the previous thread....I'm 55 and remember when the ZR-1 was introduced...Saw many renderings before the actual model...Have to admit my first thought was - it looks just like the regular Corvette, am I missing something ?

Than I saw the price tag...Holy crap...For what these cars cost new you can get a leftover new C7 for a lot less, even a C7Z06 with monster HP with less than a 1,000 miles or so...

It is what it is....They make great bang for the buck cars, especially the ones putting out over 500 HP...Why would you want a stock one ? Buy it , mod it. enjoy it....

Eventually would like to pick up a modded C6Z06...If I sell mine, and its modded,I'm guessing I have to pony up a pretty decent amount of change to get a C6Z in the shape of my ZR-1...

This is why basically I just will keep my Z for now and just enjoy it....They do respond well to mods the C4Z....Than again, most vettes do...

Last edited by zrc3john; 06-29-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:38 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Who knows, maybe whatever DOHC power plant one of the new C8 variants has will breathe some new life or interest into the ZR-1. Sometimes people get wrapped into the lore when a new model highlights the old. Or a movie sets up a car to be amazing.

I can see the snippy mag article now: “ This C8 ZR1 sports a DOHC mill. You read that right: FOUR cams. In a Vette no less. 40 years ago, a handful of guys made it happen for a few fleeting moments in the C4 Corvette. But ask anyone on the street today that’s a self proclaimed car nut about a DOHC powered Corvette, and there’re gonna tell you this is the first, therefore a big deal. Crack a history books, boys and girls.”
Old 06-30-2019, 11:51 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Who knows, maybe whatever DOHC power plant one of the new C8 variants has will breathe some new life or interest into the ZR-1. Sometimes people get wrapped into the lore when a new model highlights the old. Or a movie sets up a car to be amazing.

I can see the snippy mag article now: “ This C8 ZR1 sports a DOHC mill. You read that right: FOUR cams. In a Vette no less. 40 years ago, a handful of guys made it happen for a few fleeting moments in the C4 Corvette. But ask anyone on the street today that’s a self proclaimed car nut about a DOHC powered Corvette, and there’re gonna tell you this is the first, therefore a big deal. Crack a history books, boys and girls.”
I doubt they will even mention what happened 40 years ago...The mid engine should be a hit though...
Old 06-30-2019, 12:52 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

The mid engine design is great... but when I see the side profile of the car all I can think of is an Acura NSX....
Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by zrc3john
Agree with the previous thread....I'm 55 and remember when the ZR-1 was introduced...Saw many renderings before the actual model...Have to admit my first thought was - it looks just like the regular Corvette, am I missing something ?

Than I saw the price tag...Holy crap...For what these cars cost new you can get a leftover new C7 for a lot less, even a C7Z06 with monster HP with less than a 1,000 miles or so...

It is what it is....They make great bang for the buck cars, especially the ones putting out over 500 HP...Why would you want a stock one ? Buy it , mod it. enjoy it....

Eventually would like to pick up a modded C6Z06...If I sell mine, and its modded,I'm guessing I have to pony up a pretty decent amount of change to get a C6Z in the shape of my ZR-1...

This is why basically I just will keep my Z for now and just enjoy it....They do respond well to mods the C4Z....Than again, most vettes do...

Using that logic, an L88 or ZL1 from 1969 looks a lot like a regular Corvette, but we know they are worth numerous times more.

I think the ZR-1 is a misunderstood car, and THAT hurts the market in resale. Misunderstood in parts, maintenance, and general ownership.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:59 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Using that logic, an L88 or ZL1 from 1969 looks a lot like a regular Corvette, but we know they are worth numerous times more.

I think the ZR-1 is a misunderstood car, and THAT hurts the market in resale. Misunderstood in parts, maintenance, and general ownership.
True, but your talking about a chrome bumpered body style that draws immediate attention....Everyone knows that L-88 was way underrated at 430 HP....Its actually close to 560...

Now, if the ZR-1 had double the HP than the standard corvette (500) to go along with its $ 30,000 dollar engine option than we may have had something....
Old 06-30-2019, 03:22 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by zrc3john
True, but your talking about a chrome bumpered body style that draws immediate attention....Everyone knows that L-88 was way underrated at 430 HP....Its actually close to 560...

Now, if the ZR-1 had double the HP than the standard corvette (500) to go along with its $ 30,000 dollar engine option than we may have had something....
In 1969, a "base" Corvette had 300 horsepower. There were options up to 435, and then beyond with the "430 hp" L88, which was purposely underrated. The ZL1, even more power.

Point being, to most, they were all the same look. The hood had a dome, and some had emblems to show they were big block cars. But again, to most, they looked the same.

Now the 1990-1995 ZR-1, same. To most, they looked the same.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:21 PM
ZED-R1
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's just a matter of time. Has to go through the cycle of just being an old car before it becomes collectable. C4 ZR1's have a good story behind them, and it's a car guy's car for the ones who appreciate the history. At the very least they won't be depreciating any more and for those buying now it's great bang for buck vs. the ridiculous porsche market from similar era. Everything 90s is starting to get hot.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $17,500 at BJ Didn't Hurt

I just read the above posts. I bought Barney for less than the sale price last week. It didn't hurt like mentioned above since I had bought it right. Even though I had expenses of the sale, I got to enjoy owning, and driving, and showing it for almost a year. What a blast to own and experience BJ for the week, too. Out of 91 cars I've owned, Barney was the single best driving, handling car, by far. And, the most interesting. Hib Halverson did a great job on this car! Time to move on...
G-Sting (07-07-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:58 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

In 1969, a "base" Corvette had 300 horsepower. There were options up to 435, and then beyond with the "430 hp" L88, which was purposely underrated. The ZL1, even more power.

Point being, to most, they were all the same look. The hood had a dome, and some had emblems to show they were big block cars. But again, to most, they looked the same.

While I get your point, there were 3 hood designs for the 1969 corvette - the small block hood, the non-L88/ZL1 big block hood, and the L88/ZL1 hood. Each was very visibly different.

The ZL1 did not have more horsepower than the L88, it was just lighter given the aluminum block. Both the L88 and the ZL1 produced about 560-580 horsepower. The 435HP option was also underrated. It's true gross HP would have been closer to 475-485HP. Note that all the horsepower readings from 1969 were gross ratings which show higher numbers than the net readings that started in 1971 and continue to this day.
rudolph schenker (08-13-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM
SteveCS
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
While I get your point, there were 3 hood designs for the 1969 corvette - the small block hood, the non-L88/ZL1 big block hood, and the L88/ZL1 hood. Each was very visibly different..

The differences on a ZR-1 are more noticeable than the hood on a '69 (wider bumper, quarters, doors, wheels). And the most vaulable L88s - the '67s - look identical until you pop the hood.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 ZR1 on Barrett Jackson coming up on the block

Old 07-17-2019, 02:06 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

And that's why they didn't sell. And the old ones really didn't sell which is why they are now so rare and expensive now. There are around 200 L88's over 3 years and 2 ZL1's. The ZR1 came with the magazine hype and the different body which helped in 1990, and in 1991 they got the carry over from all the people who wanted a 1990 and couldn't get one. Then the LT1 came out... GM was killing their own prize fighter with one that was almost as good at half the price.... and the final knockout was the Viper that came out in 1992. With more power and most would call it sexy as hell. All GM really had to do was get the LT5 tuned up to around 450HP in 1992. Had they done that history would have been written differently for both the DOHC in the Corvette, the sales of ZR1's, among other things. But it didn't, which lead us to the LS engine, which isn't a bad thing either.....
Old 07-17-2019, 02:45 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

That's ok after Chevy got rid of the ZR-1,Toyota came out with there $ 40,000 dollar Supra....

Try buying that car today.....You can probably buy 6-7 nice ZR-1's for the cost of one supra...
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ZWILDZR1
I think it's only partly the parts problem. Which you can have with many other vehicles. A lot has to do with the bad wrap the C4 is receiving in general. From day one the complaint about the ZR1 was too little distinction between it and the base Corvette. There was a bigger distinction between the 90 ZR1 and the base 90 coupe. But when GM fitted the new rear bumper facia to the base Corvette in 91 that distinction got even less. This is something they learned going forward. Buyers spending so much money want more for the dollar. They want their automobiles to stand out. The thing is look back to the early 70's. The Trans Am stood out and there is no way you could mistake one for a regular base model or even a Formula. Something they kept doing right up until the end of second gen production. It's hit or miss when designing an automobile to begin with. Remember the Edsel? I guess GM thought they were doing enough with the ZR1 as far as body treatments. I think they did learn though. Just look at the 96 Grand Sport which usually now outsells the rest of the C4 models. The ZR1's that crossed the block at Barret Jackson were no more than used cars. Neither was a low mileage example. Not saying that a low mileage one would set the market on fire. In reality they won't. Unless you find just the right buyer. At auction it takes more than that.

There are some places asking near $45,000.00 for a 91 ZR1 with under 7000 miles but with later ZR1 A molds and aftermarket parts like headers and exhaust. They will never sell that car for that money. You can see it at Vanguard Motor Sales. They are way off. Not even in the ballpark. You can get a car that would be closer to NCRS ready for about $15 K less. When I bought my second ZR1 I made up my mind I was looking for the most bang for the buck. A car that had been modified by the right person. ( Lingenfelter, DRM, Haibeck, Henderson ) Most of the C4's just aren't bringing lots of money. You can find plenty of cars with low mileage. I see plenty of very low mile 91 coupes and convertibles. I'm sure not going to pay over 12 grand to acquire one. There are very low mile cars and the sellers are asking over 20 K. No way when I can buy plenty of other Corvettes that will blow the doors and paint right off their sides would I spend that much for any L98 car. Hell you can buy ZR1's for less with anywhere from 30k and up mileage. The internal combustion engine will be dead and buried before C4 prices ever get where their owners really want them to be. Especially with the dawn of the C8 only weeks or days away. C4's will be right in the middle. But at the lower end of the collector market. Oh and please don't get mad at me. It's not my fault. I happen to love all Corvettes and have only owned C4's. But my next one will be what I grew up coveting as a kid. A 68-72 C3.

Do ANY cars on Vanguard sell for what they're asking? I assume they target their cars for the rich that don't know any better and/or have no patience when buying an older car in mint condition. I have nothing against the cars they have but wow......talk about selling for a premium!!!

Quick Reply: 95 ZR1 on Barrett Jackson coming up on the block