C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Does the brake booster have dual diaphragms

Old 07-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

To talk to a man with the answers, call Matt Sweeting at Power Brake Service, Huntington Beach CA, 714-330-5286, http://PowerBrakeService.net They built a custom dual diaphragm metal booster for me, and the brakes on my '84 will stand the car on its nose!

Matt drives a ZR-1 with a HydraBoost power brake conversion.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 07-01-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:03 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by A95Y
Sunday night. ZR1 Corvette it says. 1992-1995. Reman. It hasn't shipped yet, so I am skeptical. It shows a picture of a ZR1 booster.

Order refunded!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:19 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd sure consider the hydraboost as the assist is MUCH better and brake feel is dramatically improved.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:06 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'd sure consider the hydraboost as the assist is MUCH better and brake feel is dramatically improved.

I don't have power steering. I can't use hydroboost.

I ended up putting another plastic one on for now. At least it's got a limited lifetime warranty from Autozone.

Last edited by A95Y; 07-03-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I actually had Matt in mind when I mentioned 'electric' several posts ago. Since he fabricated the 'dual' for HRR maybe you just have the conversation with him anyway. Several I believe have tried/attempted conversations with him regarding the hydra-boost but I've never seen anyone do a 'start to finish' install on a ZR-1. Other than his personal, I don't recall others. I've seen it discussed only a couple times. I didn't have the Toyota stuff in mind when I mentioned electric.

You should be covered for awhile I'd think with this buy - maybe use your time wisely

A '92+ 'salvage'??????

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-04-2019 at 11:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hot Rod Roy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:35 AM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I actually had Matt in mind when I mentioned 'electric' several posts ago. Since he fabricated the 'dual' for HRR maybe you just have the conversation with him anyway. Several I believe have tried/attempted conversations with him regarding the hydra-boost but I've never seen anyone do a 'start to finish' install on a ZR-1. Other than his personal, I don't recall others. I've seen it discussed only a couple times. I didn't have the Toyota stuff in mind when I mentioned electric.

You should be covered for awhile I'd think with this buy - maybe use your time wisely

A '92+ 'salvage'??????
Matt has a dual diaphragm on his site, ready to buy. $245. http://powerbrakeservice.net/1984-19...te-vacuum.html. It looks like a ZR1 from HRR's picture. That hydro-boost looks like it takes up too much room. What were you thinking in terms of electric power steering? I just bought a MR2 pump off Ebay. I'd lke a booster from a salvage ZR1. But why? Matt has a brand new one for the price I was quoted from a boneyard.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:55 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Matt has a dual diaphragm on his site, ready to buy. $245. http://powerbrakeservice.net/1984-19...te-vacuum.html. It looks like a ZR1 from HRR's picture. That hydro-boost looks like it takes up too much room. What were you thinking in terms of electric power steering? I just bought a MR2 pump off Ebay. I'd lke a booster from a salvage ZR1. But why? Matt has a brand new one for the price I was quoted from a boneyard.

Wouldn't hurt to talk to him The link seems to take a person to a 'dual' intended for a possible install for a car with 'NO' ABS. It shows a hydraulic block BUT then again it's just an image. You need to actually discuss it with Matt or someone else at that facility. You need to talk to 'folks' wild a$$ links to everywhere might get you lots of info!! You've experienced that already it seems. Ask Matt about electric!! There's a couple/actually many I think that have electric here in the vicinity. Many 'well engineered' hot rods

A known 'salvage' should get a person exactly what he pays for. You ask for and pay for a '92+ ZR-1 'dual' that's what you should expect!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-04-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:01 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Wouldn't hurt to talk to him The link seems to take a person to a 'dual' intended for a possible install for a car with 'NO' ABS. It shows a hydraulic block BUT then again it's just an image. You need to actually discuss it with Matt or someone else at that facility. You need to talk to 'folks' wild a$$ links to everywhere might get you lots of info!! You've experienced that already it seems. Ask Matt about electric!! There's a couple/actually many I think that have electric here in the vicinity. Many 'well engineered' hot rods

A known 'salvage' should get a person exactly what he pays for. You ask for and pay for a '92+ ZR-1 'dual' that's what you should expect!!
I'm not too worried about it now. I just spend $145 on an Autozone reman. while looking for a salvage ZR1 for at a decent price. Do you have one?
When you talk electric, you are referring to electric steering, correct?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2019, 12:15 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I'm not too worried about it now. I just spend $145 on an Autozone reman. while looking for a salvage ZR1 for at a decent price. Do you have one?
When you talk electric, you are referring to electric steering, correct?

Thanks

No 'electric boost hydraulic' brakes! I had a couple B'villes with Teves and maybe an STE also had Teves. Matt has many. Ain't none inexpensive!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:28 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No 'electric boost hydraulic' brakes! I had a couple B'villes with Teves and maybe an STE also had Teves. Matt has many. Ain't none inexpensive!
That looks like a lot of extra weight. I'm trying to shed weight although incorporating electric power steering is going to add some weight.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:19 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

No. Electric boost hydraulic brakes! . Matt has many. Ain't none inexpensive!
A 'vette friend put electric boost power brakes on his '84, so we have fun comparing cars! I can't match his 409 SBC, but he likes my dual diaphragm brakes better than his electric boost!

He's driving the white Shinoda conversion in this pic, and we're chasing two ZR-1's thru some mountain twisty's! Too much fun!!!

(p.s. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with them!)

Old 02-09-2022, 01:36 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like I have a template. Thanks.
Bit late here and you probably have the answer by now, but yes the ZR1 booster will bolt right in if you drill the extra 4 holes right through.

I used to rebuild those plastic PBR boosters here in Australia, a number of Australian cars used them, the replacements you were getting that were constantly failing were either Cardone or AC Delco rebuilds, and they did not use genuine parts to rebuild them. The parts they use are made in China, and they are f***en useless.

I just did one yesterday in an 88 and it had a Cardone in it, the shell was cracked in the rear, and when i pulled it apart to rebuild it i found the diaphragm was pinched in the edge of the booster as they assembled it. It was not screwed together to the correct thickness either. Just plain rubbish. They will fail very quickly if they are not assembled correctly.

As of today, i am not longer able to buy these Genuine PBR boosters new, they have been discontinued, and the rebuild kit was discontinued a few years ago.

The ZR-1 booster is a PBR VH6007, and made in Australia. If it says AC Delco on it then it is NOT an OEM part, it is a remanufactured part, AC Delco never made brake boosters.

I have not yet looked to see what other cars used this booster, but it is not a ZR-1 specific item, it is an off the shelf part GM used at the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does the brake booster have dual diaphragms