C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Weight Loss?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 01:48 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Weight Loss?

What can you do to shave weight off of these cars. I have heard of Toledo Pro CF hoods. How much weight saving do you get with those compared to the stock Fiberglass hood. I have also seen brake drums that are supposed to be lighter and shave some weight off. Is there other ways and products to shave weight, and what have users here done to shave weight if at all.

Just curious. Oh yeah, without taking out the seats and sitting on the floor of the car or taking off the shell of the car :lol:
Old 03-21-2003, 04:43 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: Weight Loss? (Gregs_90_ZR1)

Weight loss is possible through a number options... most of them are a little pricey... like the hood you mentioned...
Did you score on the lightweight rotors advertised recently ? A good place to start weight reduction in in the wheels and brakes... also a bit pricey... however... very effective in 2 ways... unsprung weight for better handling... and the multiplication factor of moving mass... I once heard it said that every pound you take from a wheel is like taking 7 pounds out of the car... I think that rises and lowers with the speed your driving...
Iam sure somebody will chime in here with some weight saving options...

Iam still adding weight to my car... just installed some H4 headlights with some Pia 110 / 100 bulbs... definatly a worthwhile mod...
:D
Ted
90 DRM 450
Sun City, CA
Old 03-21-2003, 08:43 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toledo Pro also makes door skins, normal door 50-60lbs my doors on the racecar 6 lbs, Toledo Pro Roof (everything from the window sills up) 8 lbs. no glass lexan, all done and many more on Open Road Race car.
Jeffy'
Old 03-21-2003, 09:38 AM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can put a light weight battery in. I have a kit to mount a 13# battery, but I would categorize that battery as a race only / weekend warrior battery. I have a kit in the works for a 21# battery that would be more suitable for daily driving. Both kits should be under $100 including the battery; neither requires any permenant mod to the car.

Jeff - tell me more about those doors. I see they are listed as race only. Would they work for a car thats 80% track 20% street? Do they support windows, locks, door panels, etc? Do they have them for ZR-1s?

[Modified by 91mongoose, 3:18 PM 3/21/2003]
Old 03-21-2003, 12:42 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the ZR1 is a car of choice for weight reduction. I have done many things to my car to go fast, but haven't gone the weight reduction route. The only real weight reduction for me is the 12 lbs each lost from my race wheel/tire combo (12x4=48 total). Choices are as follows, but most will ruin the ZR1 in my opinion.
headlight removal
stereo system removal
steering wheel change
race seats
lexon windows
carbon fiber body parts
ABS unit removal
light weight racing wheels

Mike
Old 03-21-2003, 03:46 PM
65ZR1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some other things:

Aluminum Flywheel ( big difference)
Spare tire well
Carbon fibre half shafts and driveshaft
Spare tire jack
Manual seat tracks
Old 03-21-2003, 04:42 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Weight Loss? (65ZR1)

So I actually did weight reduction. I have been without spare tire/jack/tray for so many years that it didn't even regiseter in brain. From memory (7 yrs ago) that was a 38 lb savings.
Mike
Old 03-23-2003, 02:35 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Re: Weight Loss? (ZR1 MK)

Thanks to all who have replied. I was curious what people have done to shave weight, and I want to look into curbing some weight in the future. Although some of the mods I dont see me doing. Some others may come when I would need to replace parts.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Weight Loss?

Quick Reply: Weight Loss?