C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Putting Flowmaster System on Today-Any tips???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 10:51 AM
Clemson ZR-1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or advice I should know about, or is it pretty straight forward? Anything I should check while the stock exhaust is out(i.e. u-joint, etc)? Thanks a lot,

John
Old 07-24-2001, 11:29 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

The flowmaster goes on pretty easy if you have some help. That is if you are putting it on piece by piece.
If it is all in once piece, a few jackstands and a jack is all you really need.

And if you have a few extra bucks, put on some stainless steel clamps. It will make it easier later, if you want to remove/take apart the system.
Ed
Old 07-24-2001, 02:55 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,081 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm biased,of course,but you will love the sound of those Flowmasters,John.
Clint
Old 07-24-2001, 05:49 PM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

John,
Did the parts make it OK? The mufflers should weld together fine and the rest just bolt together. Let me know how it turns out.

Jeffy'
Old 07-24-2001, 11:00 PM
Clemson ZR-1
Racer

Hey Jeff, I mean to thank you earlier for the prompt delivery and having the package as described (got a little sidetracked w/ PSYCH 303). Anyways, Let it be known JeffyVette is a good guy to deal with and comes up with great bargains
Thanks to all for the advice and to Jeff for the good deal. It'll be going on Wednesday after work(had prior engagements today )
So I'll let ya'll know tomorrow nite how it goes, and how badass it sounds
Old 07-25-2001, 06:15 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Clemson ZR-1,
Glad you are happy with the system. You will be smiling even bigger when you hear those Flowmasters at idle is good, But take the top off and listen at speed.

Jeffy'

Old 07-25-2001, 11:09 AM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Clemson:

I would make *certain* that you get those exhaust tips away from that rear fascia. They do not stick out far enough to clear and will stain it. I would have a muffler shop weld extra pipe between the muffler itself and the tips so it sticks out far enough to prevent the staining. I think everyone with Flows will agree that it will stain, even worse with headers.

Do as you wish but I strongly recommend extending the tips away from the rear fascia and also making an adapter to drop them down as well. That will keep your rear end clean and free from stains Good luck!

Old 07-25-2001, 11:56 AM
Clemson ZR-1
Racer

Brian, about how much of a spacer would you guestimate I needed between the tips and mufflers? Reason I ask is b/c I wanna take care of this all at once. How far do you think they should be dropped? I have all the stuff to do that so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks, John
Old 07-25-2001, 12:57 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

My Flowmaster didn't stain my rear fascia. But I have noticed exhaust on the back near the tips, but it cleans right off when I wash the car.
Maybe it is the Zanio polish I have on the car.
Ed
Old 07-25-2001, 03:46 PM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

Clemson,
When this set-up was on my car I had no staining problems. they stuck out the back 2-3 in.
Jeffy
Old 07-25-2001, 04:05 PM
Clemson ZR-1
Racer

Yo Jeffy, that's good to hear man. I'm about to take off now and find out how it'll look on my car. I'll let ya'll know tonite. Later, John
Old 07-31-2001, 09:19 PM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

John,
Did you get the Flowmasters on? You never got back to us with an update.

Jeffy'

Old 07-31-2001, 11:26 PM
Clemson ZR-1
Racer

Hey Jeff, sorry for not getting back. I've been too busy getting my *** kicked by Calculus

I did get the exhaust on with the help of some friends and my bro. It was a bitch to line up(as expected) and it was very hard to weld back what was cut(since there were no marking spots on one of them), but other than that it wasn't too bad. BTW, did that system come painted silver from flowmaster?

The exhaust sounds great(naturally). I think its perfect for me. Absolutely NO resonance and not too loud unless I want it to be. It screams above 3 grand and rebel yells above 4 grand. I really like it a lot. I'm gonna be making a Dyno trip in the next 2 weeks so I'll be sure to post some numbers. Thanks

John
Old 08-01-2001, 12:22 AM
Jeffyvette
Drifting

John,
Glad you got the system on and like it. Hope it helps at the dyno. Flowmaster claims a 70 rwhp with a chip. There is no way that is true. If you can gain 10-15 hp you are lucky. It is mostly a sound difference. Yes it was silver when it came, the mufflers also. I just liked the black because the stock were black.

Jeffy'

Old 08-01-2001, 05:42 PM
ZR WON
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Clemson
Were you able to adjust the Flowmaster system down away from the rear fascia or??? Glad you like the sound. Not sure what you mean about welding. You shouldn't have to weld anything on that system.. Hmmm

Old 08-01-2001, 06:35 PM
Clemson ZR-1
Racer

Brian, to save on shipping-Jeff cut the end mufflers off so thats what I had to weld back. After some creative prybar work, we were able to line it up right and away from the fascia. I'm no perfectionist though, I just wanted to get the thing on and be done with it. I must say we did an excellent job considering some of the other "specifically made systems" I've seen on other cars. I'll be getting some sound bytes up soon to let those who haven't heard hear a Flowmaster system on an LT5 Thanks to all who helped.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Putting Flowmaster System on Today-Any tips???

Quick Reply: Putting Flowmaster System on Today-Any tips???