C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

What speed gives you best MPG with 5 gear`??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 02:16 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wonder .. When you drive a highway.. 5 gear and ReServe light comes on.. and Range says LO.. What speed gives best MPG with 5 gear?

And how long can you drive after Reserve comes on?
Old 07-26-2001, 04:04 PM
ZR1 Jim
Racer

I can honestly say that gas mileage is the last thing I am thinking about when driving my Z. That being said, I would guess about 60 mph would give the best mpg in 5th. The ZR1 has a 20 gallon gas tank but my reserve light comes on with about 4 gallons left. I always fill up around this time as the secondary fuel pump is lubricated by the gas and can fail if you leave your tank empty for too long.

The way I drive(mostly city, pretty agressive) I usually average 15-16 mpg.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:30 PM
W i l l
Racer

ZR1 Jim,
You are getting great mileage. My average is around 13 mpg! We wouldn't want to let any carbon build up in the motor.
Old 07-28-2001, 12:59 AM
CR1
Instructor

First try to never run your gas tank down so low so that it says "LO".
But if for some reason you get in trouble like this, switch your digital read out to instant - from there you can figure what speed/rpm gives your car the best gas mileage.

I will say on a long trip last year I was playing around and noticed I got about 1-2 mpg better with the power key off.
Old 07-30-2001, 02:56 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I will say on a long trip last year I was playing around and noticed I got about 1-2 mpg better with the power key off.[/B][/color][/QUOTE]

That sounds intresting.. Does it really give you better MPG on highway? Power key does efect only on rpm 3000-> and if you stay under that on highway use.. I wonder why..

Old 07-31-2001, 01:16 AM
CR1
Instructor

Was not staying under 3000 rpm. I was in a caravan with a bunch of LT-1's so because I did not need the extra power I was messing around - power key on, power key off. We were passing slower cars and I was keeping pace with them, so I used 3rd and 4th as well as 5th.
What I saw from continuously reseting the average mpg was that in power key off mode I was getting somewhere between 1 to 2 mpg higher. Definitely not scientific, but interesting.

"Mylzi" What are you doing driving you ZR1 below 3000 rpm anyway. First you tell us you almost run your ZR1 out of gas and now this.
Old 07-31-2001, 02:57 AM
Mylzi
Drifting

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:[/color]<HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"Mylzi" What are you doing driving you ZR1 below 3000 rpm anyway. First you tell us you almost run your ZR1 out of gas and now this. [/B][/color][/QUOTE]

Well... If you drive long trip on highway.. Cruise on.. RPM is usually under 3000 with 5 gear.. Ofcourse MPG is not something that you think when you "rev it up" but on highway cruise I like to get good MPG.

Get notified of new replies

To What speed gives you best MPG with 5 gear`??

Quick Reply: What speed gives you best MPG with 5 gear`??