C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

wierd sound comming from the clutch flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 01:58 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

well I talked to my dad the other day he said the car has been delivered and it looks good but he dosent know how in the hell GM stuffed that engine in the the car but anyway, He was wondering if the noise comming from the flywheel area is normal when he depreses the clutch it sounded like something was kinda scraping, I know its hard to explain but is this normal? I am not going to send the car to a dealer no friking way but I was wondering if it was normal the car drives great no problems oh well any responces are welcome.
thanks
jp

Old 07-28-2001, 07:08 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It could be a dry pilot bearing caused from sitting too much. My ZR-1 does it every now and then when it sits too much.
Clint
Old 07-28-2001, 07:57 PM
ZR-1 368
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USAZR1:
[B
It could be a dry pilot bearing caused from sitting too much. My ZR-1 does it every now and then when it sits too much.
Clint[/B][/color]
Clint I'll drive your car for you. Wouldn't want to dry the pilot bearin too much [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2001, 11:25 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR-1 368:
[B
Clint I'll drive your car for you. Wouldn't want to dry the pilot bearin too much [/B][/color]
This isnt helping me much man.. [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
But clint what is the fix for this I mean there isnt any lube that goes to the pilot bearing so dose it just come and go?
I know this car has not been driving in a long while..?

Old 07-29-2001, 05:21 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by phrogs
But clint what is the fix for this I mean there isnt any lube that goes to the pilot bearing so dose it just come and go?
I know this car has not been driving in a long while..?
[/color]
The only sure cure is to replace the pilot bearing,Johnny,,,assuming that's the problem.
Have your Dad try to drive the car more often and see if that helps. If it doesn't,the trans will have to come out so you can find the problem. It could also be a dry throwout bearing,etc.
Clint

Get notified of new replies

To wierd sound comming from the clutch flywheel?

Quick Reply: wierd sound comming from the clutch flywheel?