C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Ron Davis radiator...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 04:11 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

It is hot here in Southern Cal... hitting 240 in rush hour with ac off, ugh!... runs as low as 92 C ( 198 F ) when all is cool outside and moving... usaully runs around 98 C...
What I want to know is this...
# 1. I need ( want ) a braided hose kit for my RD radiator... The phone number
( Arizona ) stamped on the radiator is disconnected. Is their a standard hose kit for this installation? Or do I go to a custom hose builder and have them made ? All the connections are threaded... plus... I have 2 extra fittings for a heat exchanger.

# 2. What thermostat temp will be most advantageous for this combo ? Before someone says 160, ( I prefer 180 ) let it be known that I have no desire to plug my cats when the weather cools off... ( This happened on my L-98 when I hit some cold weather coming back from Vegas one time, oil temp went below 151 F... ) Unless I want to run a hotter thermostat in cooler weather, that COULD be my strategy...

# 3. Who should I go to see to reprogram my fans for early turn?... I hear Ron Zimmer in San Diego is good for reprogramming...

# 4. Are the mini fans still availble for the wheel wells... the 3 per side that were detailed in Corvette Fever a few years ago, perhaps longer... has anybody tried them ? Do they work as advertised ?

TIA
Ted
90 ZR-1 # 334
Charcoal Mettalic, Grey
PE system, 64K, otherwise stock
Sun City, CA
Old 07-30-2001, 12:09 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

What you read below is not agreed on by all but it works. I have a Ron Davis rad with stock hoses.

1. Pull radiator and flush the fins. Or at least flush from pass side looking between rad and a/c condenser making sure all debris is flushed out. This made the most difference on mine. Do not paint the radiator fins.

2. Get the fan switch from Mid America and leave the fans on all the time.

3. The base problem is that the air gets trapped under the hood and sits there at low speed. I do not have the small fans but that seems to be the answer if you want to keep the rad stock.

4. The way to get it run coolest is to pull the thermo cut the thick spring so it stays open all the time put it back in, plug the bypass and I guarantee it will run cool if there is no debris in the radiator(Only do this with the aftermarket radiators). If the temps go below 80 in day and 65 at night go back to 160 deg thermo and unplug the bypass.

5. You can activate the fans by turning on the A/C and set it to a high temp, fans are on but no ac.

Quick Reply: Ron Davis radiator...