Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

Frustrated Buyer...Sellers pls read

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:14 PM
navyseal3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frustrated Buyer...Sellers pls read

It's been a very interesting week of trying to find & buy a nice 96 LT4.I am not griping about prices,because every seller wants to get all they can and every buyer wants a deal.Everyone is that way.

My gripe is about attitude.I've seen 3 nice cars and driven 1.One was because I didn't have the time.It was close so I wanted to see if I had any real interest beyond the usual hi-rez pix that was emailed.

The other two were interesting.One guy wanted me to give him a cash deposit to drive the car just in case we had an accident and the other
guy would not let me take his car on the interstate( that's where I drive 90%) because he only drives his locally.I’m not gonna do anything stupid in someones car,but I do expect if you have something you need to/want to sell,pls be reasonable.

I'll bet there are more cars that are for sale today than there are buyers who can/will buy today.

ns3
The following users liked this post:
BigDogYoop (07-20-2018)
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Expect more of it. Vette owners are strange, doubly so when selling.

I was going to guess that the deposit thing had something to do with your age, but then I see from your profile that you are USN retired, so that's just messed up.

I think a lot of them really aren't interested in selling the car so they price it out of the market or do stupid stuff like you described. Maybe the wife made them post it for sale.

C4s are a dime a dozen. When you get one of those sellers just move on to the next one...
Old 10-05-2006, 07:33 PM
merplastic91
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People selling corvettes are wierd. When I was looking to buy, many sellers acted as if they couldn't part with the car. They would do and say silly things that would screw any chance of me buying the car. I have gotten a bit wierd myself. We just can't sell to anybody
Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Amen Brothers!! I agree.

I see many posts that say " Testing the Waters", "Maybe for Sale" and stuff like that.Well, "maybe" I'm buying!!

I would think a "seller" is a person that has a car they want to exchange for "dollars". A "buyer" is a person with "dollars".

Give & Take is needed on both sides for a transaction to take place.

\db2
Carolina
Old 10-05-2006, 08:08 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Here' my take on it.

Sellers generally think that since they've spend "X" number of dollars on maintenance and/or upgrades, they can add that figure to the asking price and expect to get it.

We must all understand that it's not dollar for dollar. Don't expect to spend $5,000 on maintenance or up grades and expect to raise the selling price by the same amount and expect some buyer to accept it.

Most upgrades and/or maintenance are "free-bees" unless the potential buyer is really locked onto those mods/services.

I've seen several 96 low mileage coupes offered for sale with an asking price of 19K to 25 K. The sellers are going to have a tough time getting that price! Over-estimating the value of the car is what they're doing!

It's basically because it's what he/she feels is the "right" selling price, which doesn't dovetail with the buyer's assessment of the price he/she is willing to pay.

Unfortunately buyers don't share the same opinion as the sellers. If they did, every car would sell like hot-cakes.

Low mileage ads have limitied benefit too, unless you're car is below 1000 miles. If you're trying to sell a a C4 you had better have had those dry-rotted tires changed, show that the engine has been run long enough to maintain seal intergrity, etc.

Just storing it in a climate controlled storage facility isn't enough.

It's not until the seller is backed into a wall that the asking price becomes reasonable enough to generate interest.

So the $25,000 C4 will languish on the 'FOR SALE" board untl the seller awakens and smells the coffee.

Just my thoughts.

Jake
The following users liked this post:
Ohiomark (07-10-2018)
Old 10-05-2006, 08:17 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

I think people are paranoid because of all the scams and shady buyers out there. Then they over-react and do weird things without thinking. It's kind of like all the people who post or email pictures of their car and doctor the pictures so you can't read the license plate. What's that for?? Identity theft? You can go out to any road anywhere and get lots of peoples' license plate numbers. You can drive by their house and see their car in the driveway, so you'll have an address to go with the license plate. What do people think they're hiding by taking the plate out of a photo?

It's just one more symptom of the lack of intelligence these days.

I can just see the ad for that one LT4 now... "extremely rare, only Corvette never driven over 50 mph, $50,000"
Old 10-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
It's kind of like all the people who post or email pictures of their car and doctor the pictures so you can't read the license plate. What's that for?? Identity theft? You can go out to any road anywhere and get lots of peoples' license plate numbers. You can drive by their house and see their car in the driveway, so you'll have an address to go with the license plate. What do people think they're hiding by taking the plate out of a photo?
That has always made me laugh, I cant figure it out either. They drive around all day with them showing and figure if they put it on the internet somehow its a huge security breach of some sort.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:45 PM
labpuppy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And what is the deal with dealerships that barely pay KBB trade-in yet act as if they would be cutting off their right arm to drop the price to a reasonable market value. Why do they think that for doing very little to the car, they have earned a $ 5K or more profit? I know they are in business to make money but an 85 Coupe with 30K on the clock is not gonna sell at $13K firm. A nicer car can be had at that price.

I too have been looking for a C4 manual transmission and, preferably, a Convertible. The area I live in is a bit "dry" on the C4 supply and when you do come upon one that seems nice, it is typically priced several thousands above fair market.

Also watch out for low mileage; it does not always equal good condition. Ran into that very recently; the seller did drop the price to generate my interest but there were just too many uncertainties. The car was not properly stored and cared for. As a result, a lot of under the surface parts with rust (car is very near the ocean and not garage kept). It also has some electrical intermittent issues. Otherwise a nice looking low mileage one owner car. Seller literally did what was needed to make it "just sellable". The electrical intermittent issues really turned me away; I did not want to find out after the fact that I should have passed on the car.

The key is to be patient and sift through the many unreasonably priced ones to get to the one car (you like) that really has to be sold (either too long on the car lot at high price or the seller finally has to or wants to really sell).

Having owned a C4 Convertible before, I know in the end it is worth the wait. Just a bit painful looking around right now.

(BTW, I was reasonable when I sold my C4 before moving cross country; I priced it fair (of course I lost $$) and it sold in a few days. If you gonna sell, sell, else don't bother, that's my 2 cents).
Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Randy T
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your experience does sound pretty wacky. More than a little nuts, even. I happen to be trying to sell my 87 right now, and whenever someone looks at it or wants to drive it, I simply make them wear a freshly laundered, zipperless flight suit. I also make some people wear a thought transmitting bicycle helmet while they're on a test drive so I can more fully gauge their interest while wearing my own thought transmitting helmet. But, I don't get weird about it.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:06 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the previous owner of my LT4 tossed me the keys I said jump in and lets see what she got. I think he almost pissed him self. This was his baby and had never seen the likes of me. When we got back to his drive way there was no way he could look at that car the like it was still his baby. I molested it wile he sat in the passenger seat with snot bobbles coming out of his nose I gave him his asking price. (now its my baby) Go back tell the guy if he wants to sell his car get in and lets go for a ride
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 PM
GSCLONE88
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JAKE
Here' my take on it.

Sellers generally think that since they've spend "X" number of dollars on maintenance and/or upgrades, they can add that figure to the asking price and expect to get it.

We must all understand that it's not dollar for dollar. Don't expect to spend $5,000 on maintenance or up grades and expect to raise the selling price by the same amount and expect some buyer to accept it.

Most upgrades and/or maintenance are "free-bees" unless the potential buyer is really locked onto those mods/services.

I've seen several 96 low mileage coupes offered for sale with an asking price of 19K to 25 K. The sellers are going to have a tough time getting that price! Over-estimating the value of the car is what they're doing!

It's basically because it's what he/she feels is the "right" selling price, which doesn't dovetail with the buyer's assessment of the price he/she is willing to pay.

Unfortunately buyers don't share the same opinion as the sellers. If they did, every car would sell like hot-cakes.

Low mileage ads have limitied benefit too, unless you're car is below 1000 miles. If you're trying to sell a a C4 you had better have had those dry-rotted tires changed, show that the engine has been run long enough to maintain seal intergrity, etc.

Just storing it in a climate controlled storage facility isn't enough.

It's not until the seller is backed into a wall that the asking price becomes reasonable enough to generate interest.

So the $25,000 C4 will languish on the 'FOR SALE" board untl the seller awakens and smells the coffee.

Just my thoughts.

Jake

AMENNNN BROTHER!!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:18 AM
EAGLES GREEN
Advanced

I bought my 95 and 78 pace car and did not test drive either.
you can tell by looking at the car what the real deal is.
P.S. when I sell them, I will have a check before they drive them.
No pleasure cruise at my house.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Hodos
Instructor

Originally Posted by EAGLES GREEN
I agree here. There's a lot you can tell about a car just looking at it. I want to be outside the car when it starts. So, I always have the owner start it for me while I look at the exhaust. I also try to get there early, so the owner doesn't have time to warm it up before I show. You can get a good feel about the suspension and other stuff by looking at the stance of the car. Test drives are used by dealers to get the buyers all giddy about the car.

I'm selling my car, but I'm not giving out test drives. The nice thing is that no one is asking to drive it either. However, I'm a terrible seller. I probably could have sold mine a few times by now, but I have the uncanny act of talking the buyer out of the car. It gets a little agravating to me. Eventually, it will sell...I hope...
Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 AM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I will not buy a car that I cannot test drive.........
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

I agree MR LT1.

Yep,you can get a feeling of how good the car was maintained by the looks & stance of the car,but handling is as important to me as looks.

Most of my driving is on the interstate between 70-80 and that determines if I want to own a car or not."Garage Queen" cars generally do not appeal to me.I like something that has been driven and maintained well.

\db2
Carolina
Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 AM
EAGLES GREEN
Advanced

How a car handles?
I assume you should know how the car handles, unless you have never drive a corvette before.
I never would allow someone to test drive a car 70-80 mph to see how it handles.
Goto a dealership for that.

I am also talking about low mile semi-collector cars.
One with 50-100k that is a driver, go take a spin.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:23 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Well,Sir I disagree with you and to each his/her own.

Every car,be it a Vette or anything does not drive/handle exactly the same.You can take 2 new cars,that were built identical and they will not drive/handle the exact same.A good example is the IROC cars.Some run better than others and some handle better than others.

70 is not fast by any means.Some cars handle great at 45,but shake & jitter at hwy speeds.

It all depends what you are looking for in a car.I've owned a few Vettes so far.A 63,65,78 and now an 80 & 85.

\db2
Carolina

Last edited by dbaker; 10-06-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrated Buyer...Sellers pls read

Old 10-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I've bought and sold vettes for a while now and I have to admit that I'm pretty picky about who I will sell one to.Other cars and trucks aren't a big deal but there's something special about a corvette.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:57 PM
DRFS Rich
Advanced

If a seller wouldn't let me test drive I'd assume he had something to hide, and would walk away.

- R
Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

You will likely have them for quite some time unless they are heavily discounted. Sellers that don't allow a TEST drive have something to hide. Buying a car without a test drive is asking for trouble.

Quick Reply: Frustrated Buyer...Sellers pls read