Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1991 ZR-1 Stealthy and strong!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1991 ZR-1 Stealthy and strong!

Gotta sell my Z!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...this time for real. I just can't physically drive this beast anymore. Most of you know the car and all I've put into it during the past 9 fun-filled years. It runs perfect! My last..and I do mean "last" trip to NorCal (1500+ miles) was an absolute joy. Well, except that I did have to replace the A/C fan motor ( a whole hour in the driveway...big deal...now the a/c works perfect!). On the road I felt like I was in driver's heaven. Unfortunately, back home it takes me at least a week to recover. I just can't do this to my body anymore. 1991, black w/gray interior. "black" clear top(s).

What's new in the past 1000-10,000 miles (front to back):

1- radiator, hoses, belt, tensioner, water pump, battery

2- cam chain tensioners (both), a/c compressor and all components, alternator, all vacuum hoses, starter, injectors, all fuel seals, everything under the plenum

3- brake calipers (GS), rotors (drilled/slotted), performance pads, ball joints, all hubs, A-mold wheels, tires are 70-80% (GSC's and Yoko AVS sports)

4- complete clutch assembly (including pressure plate), ALL U-joints, 4:10 gears, ALL bushings, grommets, and rubber parts

5- windshield, ALL weatherstripping and door seals, Lexan top (still have old one)

6- Bose head unit, steering wheel support stuff and locking mechanisms, new fan motor for strong a/c blow

7- more little stuff I can't remember but have receipts for (all the typical stuff that wears out is replaced).

The good added stuff:

Top end ported and polished; injector housings and plenum, performance chip..all Corey Henderson, and all powdercoated black by Jeff Flint (plus water pipes, cam covers, and TB) and stainless steel bolts. Borla exhaust; 4:10 Dana Viper rear; showable engine compartment. Front bra for those road trips without worrying about rock damage; both K&N and paper air filter with new recharge kit; removable top panel inner shield for those super hot days; dark tinted windows (may not be legal in some states); can't even remember what else. JUST HAD INTERIOR DETAILED AND SHAMPOOED.

The car is a beast! It is powerful and smooth. NO NON-STARTS! Clutch switch is bypassed, big AMP battery kicks it EVERY time. No skipshift to mess with! Looks mean and IS mean. Never overheats (even in Vegas 115 heat) or dies. I've gotten all the bugs out so it's fun AND reliable. Just put a brand new battery in August.

The weak points:

the driver outer bolster has some of the gray dye worn off, but the leather is not torn, cut, or worn.

The paint is glossy but not perfect. It has some small rock nicks and scratches. The rear bumper panel is faded but easily repainted (no cracks and has perfect mouldings). There is a small scratched area from when the car was delivered to me by DAS. It looks like the backed it into a chain link fence on the right rear corner at the bumper/fender seam (about 2X3").

Everything works that is supposed to work and the car starts, drives, and stops like a ZR-1 should.

My insurance company says it's worth $25,250 and climbing. I have well over $30,000 in it and most of the work would cost an arm and leg to have done at a shop. I'll accept any reasonable offer ($18.5K.....no, how about $15.5K?). This ZR-1 is EVERYTHING I say it is. Fly in and drive it ANYWHERE...including Bowling Green. Or, keep it here and run the Silver State at any speed you can stand. I wish I could do it but my doctors say I'll die trying. I'm raising grandkids and can't risk it.

This will be the saddest parting of my Corvette soul and any of the Vettes I have owned, so be real with your offer and I PROMISE you will never get the smile off your face.

Sorry....I think it has about 111,000 on the clock, but the ODO reads high with the 4:10 gears so it's probably about 108 or 109K.

ROCK solid LT5!!

PICS!!!!! Use my Fotki link and advance forward from here (36 pics):

Hosted on Fotki

http://public.fotki.com/dallas916/zr-1/001.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by dallas916 : Today at 06:38 AM.

Last edited by dallas916; 10-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

You don't know what you're missing here unless you've driven a tight, modestly modified ZR-1. I'm the second owner. 90% of the miles are freeway trips (P.O. was a Army Capt. who travelled between Miami and Ft. Benning, GA.). He took great care of the car. I have made multiple trips to Oregon and back, NorCal and back, and HWY 1 from Coos Bay to San Luis Obispo. The last few years it has seen waaaay too much sitting. The recent trip to NorCal got it back into rythm. Since then it's been out for an hour cruise down the strip and out to Red Rock. That's just not RIGHT!

I averaged 21+ mpg for all the driving, and over 24 while on the road. With the 4:10 gears you can run at any speed above 60-65 in 6th gear and still have passing torque without downshifting. Of course, that's just NO fun at all. Doing 75+ on Nevada HWY and dropping into 4th or 5th to pass, then hitting 140 in seconds before easing back in is just plain worth every penny. Of course, I'm not admitting anything here. The car will do 190 but I sure won't.

This car needs to be enjoyed! At $21-22K you'll never get as much satisfaction (and at $15,500 you'll never get the permagrin off your face)....unless you like to polish and look, but not drive.

Yes, that's $15,500....$9000 below KBB, NADA, and Classic Insurance book.

Last edited by dallas916; 10-15-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Need some info

Please email me your number!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:33 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

For all: I'll be on the road from 5/9 to at least 5/18 or 5/19. I'll be checking my email daily. My cell is 702-373-8156.

I'm getting cold feet on this, so take a good look at what this Z really is and represents before I just break down and let it sit in my garage.

BTW: I have all the original major parts that could be used to keep the car more stock (I don't know why you'd want to, now)...brakes, rear gears, etc. They all go if the price is right.

Last edited by dallas916; 03-27-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:23 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

New pic link!

http://public.fotki.com/dallas916/zr-1/001.html

scroll forward for 36 new pics. This is the car after returning from NorCal...not even washed or cleaned.

Last edited by dallas916; 09-05-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

The powder coated LT5 looks amazing
Old 05-14-2008, 01:06 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 93Polo
The powder coated LT5 looks amazing

Yeah, Jeff did a nice job.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Steve20
Pro

NOTE TO SELF:
stop looking in the C4 For Sale section- it only makes you sick.

GREAT RIDE DUDE
Old 05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Steve20
NOTE TO SELF:
stop looking in the C4 For Sale section- it only makes you sick.

GREAT RIDE DUDE
Thanks. Yeah...the most fun I've ever had with a car.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:34 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

I've been asked and yes....I would consider an interesting trade...not another vette because i would have the same problem driving it. Street rod maybe? Newer Chrysler or Dodge van? Really trick 67-70 C10 pickup with a/c and all the goodies? Add to the second floor on my house? IDK.

Last edited by dallas916; 04-24-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:03 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

My "buyer" dropped out so I need a new one.

C'mon...I already bought a replacement car so I do need to let this baby get a new home.

Someone steal it from me for $15,500. You can't buy a decent ToyoHonNisandai Whatever for that.

Make it your Memorial Day special. REEEEEALY special!

Last edited by dallas916; 10-15-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Any interest in trading for a very clean, 11k mile C6?

Edit: I just noticed that you aren't willing to trade for another 'Vette. Sorry I didn't read that first.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 05-30-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Any interest in trading for a very clean, 11k mile C6?

Edit: I just noticed that you aren't willing to trade for another 'Vette. Sorry I didn't read that first.
Tom;

I had once thought about trading into a C5 with an automatic, but I think I'd still be back were I would have a hard time driving it. I am really missing the whole experience of the Corvette, but there are times when I can't grip the steering wheel enough to be safe with the kind of driving I like to do.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Gotcha. Sorry to hear that...that is a major bummer!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 AM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

What is the physical disability that you suffer from? Why can't you grip the steering wheel?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:59 AM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
What is the physical disability that you suffer from? Why can't you grip the steering wheel?
Rheumatoid arthritis. My immune system attacks my joints. I take things like (far too much) prednisone for inflammation, methotrexate to suppress my immune system, tramadol for pain, and some other stuff. I thought it was working for awhile but recently the severity has increased. Any overuse (normal use) of my joints causes some kind of trauma, or at least what my body perceives as a trauma, and everything inflames and somehow eats at my cartilage and joints.

I don't have the osteo symptoms and typical twisted or deformed joints. In fact, other than swelling in my hands after too much gripping or movement, I can't tell if anything is really happening by sight. It's a puzzling disease with a lot more questions than answers. I think there's more involved but it takes so long to get through series of tests and testing/experimenting of meds that I (or the MD's) don't really know what can stop it.

It's a strange cycling of "attacks" that will be stronger in my feet one week, move to my hands the next, then to my shoulders or sometimes my ankles. Sometimes it really affects my breathing almost like severe COPD. I do know that stress causes an acceleration of events and severity, but I don't know how to "turn it down"...especially given my present life situation (raising 3 grandkids of addicted parents). My trips back "home" really help but I can't let my wife be left to deal with the kids and all the bills and stuff.

My cars used to be therapy...either to work on or drive...but they have become more of a burden to me now. I look at the ZR-1 and think about taking it out for a cruise, but I know I'll pay for it for the following 3-4 days or more. I hate it because I really love this car.

Last edited by dallas916; 06-01-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 ZR-1 Stealthy and strong!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

OK guys (and ladies)....I've let this notice sit for a month and a half. If you like C4's (which I assume you do or you wouldn't be looking in this section), and you want the cream of the C4 production (that still meets or surpasses many of today's generations of Vettes and other high performance cars), you need to step up to this deal. I can work the price a little, and I said I'd consider a non Corvette trade, but I'm not going to give it away.

I'd appreciate a realistic offer...not the 12K insults I've seen for a couple of the good ZR-1's on here. Otherwise I'll go to a different venue and forget about the Corvette enthusiasts. This is an excellent driver that can be shown with a few little touch-ups. I'm never embarrassed to open the hood at any kind of show, and to drive it anywhere you want is flat out worth the price alone. Next month I'm going to pull the plates.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Polish Colonel
2nd Gear

You have a really nice car. I am looking for my first ZR-1, just sold my 1966 Coupe and will have closing in a few days. Trying to line up a car to buy. Probably a little to radical for me. I would have done the engine in Red. The black looks good though, don't get me wrong. I am in a similiar situation, kidney transplant 21 years ago. Would like to go out with a nifty ride, I am 63 had the "plant" 21 years. ago. Best of Luck to you. If I were you, I'd store it and drive it when I feel good.
Regards
Conrad
Mount Joy, Pa.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 PM
dallas916
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Polish Colonel
You have a really nice car. I am looking for my first ZR-1, just sold my 1966 Coupe and will have closing in a few days. Trying to line up a car to buy. Probably a little to radical for me. I would have done the engine in Red. The black looks good though, don't get me wrong. I am in a similiar situation, kidney transplant 21 years ago. Would like to go out with a nifty ride, I am 63 had the "plant" 21 years. ago. Best of Luck to you. If I were you, I'd store it and drive it when I feel good.
Regards
Conrad
Mount Joy, Pa.
My last vette prior to the ZR-1 was a '65 coupe that had been modified for racing. I updated the essential components to what was available then (mid 1980's) and made it into a "show and go" car. I took several long trips in the car and always enjoyed what it was (faster than my Z on the strip, but not safe at the speeds the Z can do on the open road).

As much as I liked the '65 the ZR-1 is a far superior car in almost every way.....especially any kind of non-race driving. It's more comfortable, has all the creature comforts the '60's cars didn't have, and gets far better gas mileage. While the '65 was impressive because of it's era and my upgrades, the ZR-1 is a much easier car to drive whether its every day or on a long road trip. Maybe it's because I'm older now, but I'd never go back to the old suspensions, fussy carburetors, and oven-like cockpit.

It is tame compared to the C2's..until you open it up and let that LT5 do it's work. I don't think even my race-prepped 350 "super mouse" could keep up with the LT5 for sustained runs. The ZF 6 speed shifts like butter compared to the old Muncie M21 and M22's. The assisted clutch is a dream compared to the old McClouds (sp?) and OEMs we ran years ago. The stability at high speeds is not even in the same universe (anything over 150 in the C2's was asking for the death card). The ergonomics of the ZR-1 are far superior to the C2's in every way, not to mention the stereo and convenience of power locks/windows and tilit wheel. The ability to remove the roof panel and enjoy the open sky (but still be able to lock it up and keep noise at a resonable level) is worth every penny.

If I thought I'd really be able to enjoy it later I'd keep it, but this RA is progressive and every month I see my symptoms get a little worse. I doubt I'll ever be able to drive the Z more than a few miles without paying the price, much less take her on those 2000 mile trips I loved so much. I just want it to go to someone who will appreciate what this car really is -- a genuine supercar for its time at an "econo box" price.

This is one of those deals a real vette lover just has to pull the trigger on and then enjoy years of fun.

Last edited by dallas916; 07-23-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 1991 ZR-1 Stealthy and strong!