Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

Pricing Advice

Old 04-17-2009, 01:57 PM
AV_Vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing Advice

I'm new to the forums, and wanted a bit of advice about the sales price for my 1995 Vette. The standard information is as follows...

1995 Corvette Coupe
Admiral Blue / Grey Leather Interior
350 cu. in. 300 hp eng. with Auto. Transmission
Dual Power Seats
Two Roof Panels

1 Owner
VERY low mileage, 17,000 miles

No Damage
Covered and stored every winter

This is a Minnesota car, hence the storage every winter. I've had it since new and have taken great care of it. Considering the low mileage, is $18000 about right to ask?

Thanks folks. I really do appreciate the help.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Probably a fair price to ask. It's going to be a tough sell, because there are alot of different options when looking at vettes in the $15k up price range. Basically you are looking for that one guy who wants that particular year/color/mileage. It's a special car, it's going to take a special person to recognize it.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Unfortunately, I think being an automatic is going to kill the chance of getting $18k for it. The color is right, and of course the miles are excellent. Theres a heck of a lot of cars including C5's with good mileage for that kind of money. I'd say more around the $15k range is realistic Just my opinion, all the best luck on your sale.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Ratbagsmg
Instructor

Originally Posted by 81c3
Unfortunately, I think being an automatic is going to kill the chance of getting $18k for it. The color is right, and of course the miles are excellent. Theres a heck of a lot of cars including C5's with good mileage for that kind of money. I'd say more around the $15k range is realistic Just my opinion, all the best luck on your sale.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:37 AM
AV_Vette
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 81c3
81c3---Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. It seems to be one of those "rock and a hard place" problems though. I don't want to go too low just to sell it, and I don't want to be too high and drive everyone away. It's easy to come down a little. It's impossible to go UP in price.

Does anyone think that 'OBO' will appear to "cheapen" the deal?

Last edited by AV_Vette; 04-25-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:24 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's my opinion regarding your price:

Plus: 1 owner, mileage, color combination and condition

Minus: Automatic, coupe

For $18K, in this market, I would be expecting a 6 speed roadster and even at that you would be a little on the high side as a lot of folks can step into an LT-4 convertible for that price now.

Most buyers expect OBO so it should not 'cheapen' the deal at all. In fact most buyers I know frown at the sellers who are 'firm' on their price or put that they will accept 'not a penny less' in their ads. OBO is a sign that you are a decent person who is willing to work with the right buyer for your car.

You probably don't have to even put OBO in the ad. Most buyers will usually ask if you will take less anyway. Good luck!

Last edited by 4theboy; 04-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long can you wait? Your car sounds great, and to the right person, it probably is worth every bit of what you want to get for it, around $17k.

But, I've seen dealers selling C5 Z06's for $18k with 60k miles. Higher miles to be sure, but no comparison in capability.

If you have lots of time, ask what you want, wait, and come down if you feel you need to.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 PM
AV_Vette
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Relic
How long can you wait? Your car sounds great, and to the right person, it probably is worth every bit of what you want to get for it, around $17k.

But, I've seen dealers selling C5 Z06's for $18k with 60k miles. Higher miles to be sure, but no comparison in capability.

If you have lots of time, ask what you want, wait, and come down if you feel you need to.
I've got nothing but time! It's early spring, and hopefully folks are starting to look around for something nice. There are dealers in the area with '95's like mine that have more miles and are still asking $18k+.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,000 Likes on 836 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default vette

There was a nice 96 vette for 7 grand in my local paper here last week. There are deals out there right now. Horrible time to sell. Sorry.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
4theboy
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AV_Vette
I've got nothing but time! It's early spring, and hopefully folks are starting to look around for something nice. There are dealers in the area with '95's like mine that have more miles and are still asking $18k+.

Unfortunately, still asking, but not getting those prices anymore. A lot of dealers are stuck now that the economy and pricing has dropped.

I usually don't look at dealer pricing as any indicator since they are in business to make money so they need to inflate the prices over what you can usually purchase them private party.

Unfortunately, in this market, most people are realizing that a Corvette is subject to depreciation just like any other used car, no matter how little you drive it or how well you take care of it. When later model vehicles are now taking a hit in value it just trickles down.

Yes, you can wait and find the right buyer looking for the exact vehicle you have but that also doesn't guarantee he is going to empty his pockets to purchase it, especially knowing that it is unlikely anybody else will likely be knocking at the door at a higher price.

I guess we should be actually be asking what would be a good 'sales' price vs. what would be a good 'wait and see' price.

In any event only you know if you really need or want to sell and how much time you have. Just remember that, if you really want to sell, they will only keep dropping in price and you may be stuck like a lot of dealers are now. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
AV_Vette
4th Gear

Default Thanks for the help

Just wanted to say a big "Thank You" for all of your help. I had the car on the market for about a month, and sold it for the $18,000.

Again

Thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AV_Vette
Just wanted to say a big "Thank You" for all of your help. I had the car on the market for about a month, and sold it for the $18,000.

Again

Thanks
Wow thats great to hear!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
There was a nice 96 vette for 7 grand in my local paper here last week. There are deals out there right now. Horrible time to sell. Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To Pricing Advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pricing Advice