Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

1988 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 AM
ZZRguy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It was great to meet you today, I posted a couple of pictures of your car here along with all the other pictures of the C4 Gathering.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ing-green.html
Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a story here for anyone who is interested in this car. Frank and I both drove to GB last week. Since he had been before and this was my first trip I let him take the lead and I followed. Little did I know I really didn't have a choice. At will, and just whenever he fancied, if I happened to be in front he would just go around me and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. Regardless of what gear either one of us were in. My car is no slouch. But, this car is ridiculous. At one point I suggested a test. We would drop to 45 - 50 mph and I would drop back 5-6 car lengths. I would then do a run past him and he was not allowed to go until I was beside him. I wanted to see how long it would take for him to catch me. Frank says I went by him at a little over 70 mph and I was hauling a$$. I started in 3rd gear and we all know how these Z's like 3rd and 4th gear. As agreed he laid off until I was passing him. I'll bet it wasn't 4 car lengths (about 4-5 secs.) before he caught up. We actually were catching traffic and had to get out before we were done but I believe he said we were doing 140 when he caught me. I really don't know how this car gets traction even at 75 mph as hard as it accelerates when it's in boost.

I will say this. Frank does drive his cars. They are not trailer queens. Most Callaways unfortunately spend their lives in garages and never get driven and consequently a lot of them don't run right because of it. This one runs absolutely perfectly. Having spent probably close to 1200 miles behind him over the last week I can tell you that at no time was there ever a single puff of smoke of any color. That's one of the things that was so frustrating was that the only indication he was ever on it was when he just started getting smaller. Rapidly. I would also add that Frank takes very good care of his cars. I would not hesitate to buy this car if I could. It's an absolute no brainer if you are in the market for a B2K.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Fully Vetted
I've got a story here for anyone who is interested in this car. Frank and I both drove to GB last week. Since he had been before and this was my first trip I let him take the lead and I followed. Little did I know I really didn't have a choice. At will, and just whenever he fancied, if I happened to be in front he would just go around me and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. Regardless of what gear either one of us were in. My car is no slouch. But, this car is ridiculous. At one point I suggested a test. We would drop to 45 - 50 mph and I would drop back 5-6 car lengths. I would then do a run past him and he was not allowed to go until I was beside him. I wanted to see how long it would take for him to catch me. Frank says I went by him at a little over 70 mph and I was hauling a$$. I started in 3rd gear and we all know how these Z's like 3rd and 4th gear. As agreed he laid off until I was passing him. I'll bet it wasn't 4 car lengths (about 4-5 secs.) before he caught up. We actually were catching traffic and had to get out before we were done but I believe he said we were doing 140 when he caught me. I really don't know how this car gets traction even at 75 mph as hard as it accelerates when it's in boost.

I will say this. Frank does drive his cars. They are not trailer queens. Most Callaways unfortunately spend their lives in garages and never get driven and consequently a lot of them don't run right because of it. This one runs absolutely perfectly. Having spent probably close to 1200 miles behind him over the last week I can tell you that at no time was there ever a single puff of smoke of any color. That's one of the things that was so frustrating was that the only indication he was ever on it was when he just started getting smaller. Rapidly. I would also add that Frank takes very good care of his cars. I would not hesitate to buy this car if I could. It's an absolute no brainer if you are in the market for a B2K.
A well sorted out b2k is for real! Great story
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I have seen this car up close. It's clean and straight a super nice car
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another quick update...

Just back from the C4/ZR-1 Gathering. Put another 800 miles on her coming back.

A serious high point for me was having dinner with Dave McLellan then having him honor my car with his signature. What an experinece to have him share a first person account of GM and the twin turbo concept/vision he had which ultimatly became the RPO B2K.

Absolutly enjoyed driving this car all week. Seriously considering removing the for sale ad and holding on to it a bit longer.

I did notice the Dymag wheels could use a good refurbish. The metallic finish is starting peel off. There are several places that can handle this.

Evidence of some serious driving and hard stopping : )

Jim Van Dorn Pirate racing team repaired a cracked exhaust hanger. Seems to run faster now Class guys at that shop.

Dave McLellan signing the B2K

Had a little fun on the auto cross. Notice how easy the turbo's spool up. Almost no lag whatsoever. I believe I came in 3rd place behind another Callaway ZR-1.

Last edited by boostedmaxPSI; 05-20-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

Default For those who are not familiar with the Sledghammer car

This is always a fun video to watch. This YouTube video is only a portion of the video Callaway Cars made.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:58 PM
SeanHM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should definitely keep it. At least until I finish the Cobra and sell it
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Fully Vetted
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump
Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

My Twin Turbo found some new friends...

Great picture in front of the UAW union hall. Love the C4 logo for their Union.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:35 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great car.........and I even like the addition of it's friends !
GLWS
Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedmaxPSI
My Twin Turbo found some new friends...

Great picture in front of the UAW union hall. Love the C4 logo for their Union.

Frank... Eliot is going to be jealous of that top picture
Old 06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome looking car!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

A sign a good motor is free from boost leaks is how fast the turbos can spool up. Outside temp was over 100 degrees and this car still pulls hard and spools fast.

My son has been enjoying the car before he heads off to West Point Academy.

Last edited by boostedmaxPSI; 07-11-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:26 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
Awesome looking car!
Thank you.

Hanging out in your neck of the woods this weekend. I will be in Norman at the OU campus.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:40 AM
LT5corsa
1994 Admiral Blue ZZZZZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts
Northeast Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

TTT

Correct me if I'm wrong, it would cost $10k to buy an aerobody from Callaway now and likely another 7 to 10k plus to fit / paint....

Then add $4k for the dymags and then the TT Callaway. (Plus all the improvements)

Hope you don't sell it! It's a really sick C4.

David
Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

Originally Posted by LT5corsa
TTT

Hope you don't sell it! It's a really sick C4.

David
Thanks David. Bowling Green was fun and I agree. It is a knarly C4.

As for not selling it.... Seems the market is speaking for me. Only a few interested folks.

Perhaps I will remove this listing and hold on to it a bit more. My kids seem to enjoy driving it now.

I have some more tweaks in mind. Next thing I will do now is a 3" exhaust system.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Bump for a awesome car! Wish I had some more disposable cash.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody

Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

That's a dream car! Something I'd love to own in the future, just not there yet. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
boostedmaxPSI
Racer

Default Sold it sold it sold it

Well... not exactly the car I was trying to sell but it works for me.

My '91 CR1 sold out of the blue which means there's no real reason to sell the B2K at this time. I plan on holding on to it for a bit longer.

I appriciate all the nice comments and feedback on the car. Interesting not a single Callaway owner offered insight on this car or even a simple "bump" to the top, I had more responses from the ZR1 community then anywhere. Something to remember when in the market for a B2K.

If there is a potential buyer still out there, feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss further.

PICS of my CR1 Development car sold:

Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I posted once, but as you know didn't want you to sell the car

Quick Reply: 1988 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody