Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

WTB: New FRC Inductee - I need a teal top

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 11:30 PM
brimby
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New FRC Inductee - I need a teal top

Hey guys. Just bought my first Vette --- a teal '92 6-speed in excellent condition. No dings, no scuffs... well until I came along.

I'll save you the story of my launched lid because I'm sure it's the same as all the others (and no one was hurt), but I'd like to restore my new car to the way it was when I bought it a few short weeks ago. So I'm hoping someone has a shiny teal top for my sad C4 so I can move past this epic failure of mine. Thanks!

Edit: I'd still possibly be interested in a top of a different color if the frame and fiberglass are all perfect. I'm going to call around this week and see what it would cost me for a rebuild on my busted one vs. a repaint on a different one.

Last edited by brimby; 04-03-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:02 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Lots of members of this club here

Seriously - Do a search for Corvette salvage yards. I like Vette2Vette in Streator, IL. I'll just bet a repair job will cost more than buying and repainting a used one.
There have been owners here who have done a rattle can job that turned out good too.
The following users liked this post:
brimby (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 03:45 PM
brimby
8th Gear

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Lots of members of this club here

Seriously - Do a search for Corvette salvage yards. I like Vette2Vette in Streator, IL. I'll just bet a repair job will cost more than buying and repainting a used one.
There have been owners here who have done a rattle can job that turned out good too.
That's a good idea. I was looking at ebay but the shipping cost isn't pretty with items of that size.

Oddly enough, even though I live in the SF Bay Area of California, I only come up with one Corvette salvage yard on Google Maps within 2 hours of me. And it has no website or reviews

Here it is:
Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 PM
eduardomi
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do tops just fly out?

I am new to this, please do tell your story.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Might want to post in the parts section for more replies.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:24 PM
brimby
8th Gear

Originally Posted by eduardomi
Do tops just fly out?

I am new to this, please do tell your story.
Yeah they do unfortunately. After it happened to me I felt like the biggest idiot in the world, but after doing a quick Google I found out that it is so common as to have a name: the "Flying Roof Club", so that made me feel a little better.

There isn't too much to my story, and I'm glad I can spread the word to someone who might otherwise become a victim some day, so here it is:

I was driving it with the top off and parked it for the night. I live in a very safe and secluded place so I figured I could set the top on to keep morning dew from getting in, but I thought I could be lazy and not screw the top in place because I was planning on driving it to work with the top off in the morning. Well, morning came and it wasn't quite as warm as I would have liked it for driving with the top off so, in my endlessly lazy mindset, I figured the top was heavy enough to withstand a very short 10min drive to work. I was wrong. The second I got over probably 40 or maybe 45 mph, the thing took off like a hawk into the sky. I watched it through my rearview mirror in horror and literally yelled, "NO!" And I'm not the kind of person to even make a peep while on a rollercoaster. Luckily the next person was far enough behind me to drive around it. If it would have hit anyone's car my life would have been 10x harder. But I pulled over as quickly as I could and ran out to grab it from the street even though another car was heading straight for it. I figured they would stop for me, but maybe not see the top if I wasn't there.

So there you go. I think most people forget to screw it down. I'm worse in that I did it intentionally out of laziness. But we all learn our lessons, and sometimes they are more valuable than they cost. Probably not this time though! The last thing I'll say about it is that miraculously, the top of the top never fully touched the road. It mostly rolled on its sides and then came to a stop on its bottom, so 3 of the corners got scraped along the edges and sustained a bit of fiberglass cracking, and the bottom got scraped in a very non-noticeable way. So overall the top still looks incredibly good for what happened to it. But that almost makes it more infuriating.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:44 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Dont beat yourself up too badly.... NO ONE is perfect and we all go through many " live & learn" experiences. Life is like a bowl of cherries... unfortunately, some are rotten!!
The following users liked this post:
brimby (04-10-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To New FRC Inductee - I need a teal top

Quick Reply: WTB: New FRC Inductee - I need a teal top