Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: 1984 z51 4+3- $3,900

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 PM
Joe93
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick told me that the tow company told him they'd release the car to a person who showed up with a photo i.d. Sounds unusual, but that's what he said.

I was planning to make the trip and pick up the car today, but Nick said another forum member was itching for the car and so Nick wanted me to give him an exact time I'd be arriving today, which I couldn't do because of my work schedule. I bowed out at that point and I'm assuming the car was picked up by that other forum member.

Hauling rates for the 115 mile trip to my area were unfriendly to say the least. Wish I could've gotten a friend and car trailer lined up, but I was scrambling to get the car on short notice. In the end my money stayed in the bank again. Second attempt was not the charm.

Last edited by Joe93; 11-09-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:28 PM
C4+3=/=C7
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Apologies for the confusion; it's been a really hectic process and I am still unclear on where the car is at this point. A local forum member has picked up the keys and title, but I am awaiting an update from him and I will be able to provide information about the whereabouts of the car after that. Hopefully, he will be successful in getting the car out as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by Orange76L48
Nick,

I see a sizeable snag in attempting to sell the car this way. Tow yards will only release cars to the registered owners. If your name is on the title, then you would need to be the one to claim the car. Giving the title to someone else to retrieve the car would not work, as tow yards request ID. The only way another person could retrieve the car would be to take the title, have the car registered in THEIR name, then go claim the car. Who knows how long that will take...most likely at a minimum 2 weeks (at least that's about the time frame that elapses here in Indiana). In the mean time, tow storage fees are being racked up daily. If the car could be driven off, then the yard would also ask for proof of current insurance, but since you say the battery is dead and it would need to be towed off, insurance is moot point. Ownership on the other hand, is a requirement for release.

You or any prospective buyer should absolutely call the tow yard ahead of time to educate yourselves on exactly what's needed in order to retrieve the car. This way any and all surprises are eliminated. Also find out how much those storage fees are as of the day you call, and find out how much per day they will continue charge so you can estimate what the final fee for retrieval will be.

Good luck...I think you're really going to need it in this case!

Dave
Hi Dave, I appreciate the heads up. The towing company confirmed to both me and the person who picked up the title that only a driver's license would need to be presented (with the exorbitant sum fees for them so kindly acquiring the car, of course) to retrieve the car. It's a pretty unregulated industry in my state, so I am hoping this information was accurate and that they didn't make it any more difficult for him than they stated.

Originally Posted by rbates74
Yes. You would really need some one to register it and drive it out. That was my plan anyhow, but i wont have the cash or the time off for a couple of weeks.
I'm sorry about the timing; hopefully the prospective owner will be able to get it out as easily as they described, but we will see.

Originally Posted by Joe93
Nick told me that the tow company told him they'd release the car to a person who showed up with a photo i.d. Sounds unusual, but that's what he said.

I was planning to make the trip and pick up the car today, but Nick said another forum member was itching for the car and so Nick wanted me to give him an exact time I'd be arriving today, which I couldn't do because of my work schedule. I bowed out at that point and I'm assuming the car was picked up by that other forum member.

Hauling rates for the 115 mile trip to my area were unfriendly to say the least. Wish I could've gotten a friend and car trailer lined up, but I was scrambling to get the car on short notice. In the end my money stayed in the bank again. Second attempt was not the charm.
Joe, I'm sorry things did not work out again. Both times my circumstances were insurmountable for nearly any buyer, I'm afraid.
----
I will update this thread with a conclusion once I receive word. Things have been chaotic of late other than this situation and there is no way I would be able to make it through with my sanity intact if the car ends up in an uncertain fate at the hands of the unsavory characters who are holding it. Hopefully it finds a good home after all and the time and effort haven't been for nothing. Thanks again for the responses.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Bobby Simone
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After a long process on a crappy rainy day, the 84 is safe and sound in my driveway. Im looking forward to a driving project car. Thanks Nick for allowing me to save a vette from the bone yard. The car is in good hands. When I was a kid my parents bought a 84 4 speed vette same color and this car has already brought back some good memories for me. Thanks again Nick.

Last edited by Bobby Simone; 11-09-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: 1984 z51 4+3- $3,900