Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: 1994 Callaway Twin turbo ZR 1, one of Kind

Old 02-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Turbo NY
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 1994 Callaway Twin turbo ZR 1, one of Kind

1994 Callaway Twin Turbo ZR 1, one owner, always stored, original 11,000 plus miles, ONE of a Kind, teal, grey interior, Special equipment includes: twin Garrett T04B turbos with air-air intercooler, high capacity injectors, recalibrated PCM, Carillo connecting rods, forged Cosworth 8.5:1 pistons, Callaway intake camshafts, blueprinted and balanced ZF gearbox, four-wheel Brembo brakes package, 18″ RW magnesium wheels (10.0″ front, 11.0″ rear) with Michelin Pilot SX tires (285/35-18 front, 325/30-18 rear), steel halfshafts, C.O.I.L. suspension system, single mass flywheel with Centerforce clutch, five-point seatbelts with modified seats, and integrated Callaway roll bar, 6 spd, specialty car, trans sent to ZF for factory blue printing to handle 1,000 HP, special built rear, special half shafts, security device, on cover of Corvette Fever 1995, detuned around 800 plus HP, car for serious driver skills only, spin tires at 100 MPH by just flooring car, sell to right buyer for quick sale reduced price, $90 K, Barry

Last edited by Turbo NY; 03-01-2019 at 02:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo NY For This Useful Post:
SurfnSun (03-09-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Callaway Chris
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Looks great!!

[/QUOTE]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Callaway Chris For This Useful Post:
dmaxx3500 (02-26-2019), SurfnSun (03-09-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:26 AM
Peaven
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Awesome ZR-1, I remember reading about this car...if Powerball is nice to me tomorrow then I'll be in touch, GLWS
Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 AM
mazdaverx7
CF Senior Member

What an amazing car!!!! I remember reading about that car in the 90's!!! Shame you have to sell it.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:51 PM
Turbo NY
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Peaven View Post
Awesome ZR-1, I remember reading about this car...if Powerball is nice to me tomorrow then I'll be in touch, GLWS
I wish to thank all the kind reply comments from avid Vette enthusiasts. I'm a nut for power and Callaway was the experts for me back in 1994. Reeves has embedded in his Callaway team, experts in all departments, design, modifications, mechanical, sales, including busy upper management staff willing to talk to a customers like Mr. Zoner, whom are a dream to work with. I would state Revess Callaway's team entertain clients, a real experience of joy, treat customers like Disney welcomes families. I can state this opinion, as being a happy client for near 30 years. I wish I did not have to sell this monster at this time, but If I hit the lottery(like a cool guy previously stated) I go back to Callaway and order 6 GT 1 Vettes from their European offices, tour the best US road course Road America, Atlanta, Watkins Glenn, Barber Motorsports,Willow Springs, Sonoma, Mid Ohio, Mosport, Lyme Rock,all of the top tracks and bring 5 close relatives and buddies all qualified to race and run all out on slicks, Wow!

sorry I got off track. blessing to you all, Barry

I have a bunch of toys I was blessed by Creator to own, now a few up for sale, one is a Teal matching 1995 Springer front end, tri headlights Harley, Turbo charged, only 3,600 miles owned since 1995, to sit by this Callaway. I grew up poor in 60's like most of us drooling over all the hot cars out on road, I remember at 14 seeing in 63 a maroon split window roll by our Corvair, it all started that day in Poughkeepsie NY. !

Last edited by Turbo NY; 03-01-2019 at 02:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo NY For This Useful Post:
Peaven (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 PM
Demps
CF Senior Member

This car is AMAZING! I remember the magazine when it came out. I couldn’t imagine driving it or keeping the legend alive. Good luck with your sale.
Ted
Old 03-12-2019, 08:05 PM
kdm123
CF Senior Member

Amazing car! That's going to be a great opportunity for someone.

Tell us more about the car. How many twin-turbo, non-Speedster ZR1's did they make?

How did the build come about? Where you not satisfied with the power on your ZR1, or did you have it shipped directly to Callaway as a pre-planned order?

Did Callaway do the suspension and brakes also?

Did you visit the factory as the car was being built? How was that?
Old 03-16-2019, 04:56 AM
Turbo NY
Support Corvetteforum!

Most of us old fogies have some dreams and stories that are similar, here's some of mine dreams that came to life!. Please do not think I'm arrogant, nor bragging, but just sharing, maybe some can live their dream through my fortunate shared life. I was soo lucky to have my teen years in the muscle car era 60's to 70's. You'll see where I got nutty for power early, but could not afford anything, until mid 90's. I spent years 69 to 85 in general Washington DC tri State Maryland, Virginia, area drive back to central NY on weekends . For those familiar with the DC beltway 495, it should be registered as a public NASCAR track, a 60 mile circle, 3 to 6 lanes wide, and grandpas, grandmas, moms sisters, everyone fighting for every inch of it at 80 plus MPH. Its amazing every manufacture produced a massive amount of muscle cars in 60's to 70's, seen at every light, shaking, rumbling, you look over at driver next to your car and the race was on, at every freaken red light! We talked our mother into buying her first new car in 69, a 1969 Rally Sport Camaro, 350, 255HP, Quade, three speed standard, we saved money put headers, 373 ring pinon, and lift kit, nice wide tiers on car. I guess I can confess now, I raced every car made from red light to red light, sometimes long distanced between lights, 30 times over for every car ever manufactured, Fords, Doges, Chevy's, Plymouth's, Pontiacs, GTX's, Hemi's, Cuda's, Corvettes, Camaro's, Chevelle's, Nova's, Mustangs, Javelins, Chargers, challengers, GTO's, Cougars, Road Runners, Dusters, Barracudas, Firebirds, Torino's, Hemi, even family cars, had big blocks, 426, 440, 429, 428, 454, 427 409, 396, 390, 383, 351, 350, 327, 302, 289, 283, I raced every thing in sight , it was such a blast! Going back a few years into 1963, I remember seeing my first Corvette that caught my eye, a 63 marron split window in Poughkeepsie NY, near 12 years of age. Wow, my cousin bought a 1967 SS 350 Camaro, fixed it to run low 12's on street and strip, I was hooked on speed. That 69 Camaro was the only new car mom could afford until 1993. I was blessed to grow up poor, lived in a chicken coup once(family of 4), lived in a house with only felt board walls, no insulation, no electric, plumbing, a out side water well head you primed with a tin cup, and out house, kerosene lanterns, house pot, ha, ha, old fashioned 25 below zero winters, too, Ya hoo the Beverly Hillbillies! I worked hard labor, like most of us, then the Creator blessed my mom and me in a business in 90, that was finally soo nice.

We used to laugh when my mom would go to get gas at station in 69 Rally Sport Camaro in Takoma Park (DC) area, rumbling with header gaskets leaking,and the young guys say, I know who's car this is! My mom say I bet you don't, its mine! I was a nut, I once road the car around with open headers for two weeks all in heavy populated areas, I was once stopped by county police9 I usually put clutch in quickly and coast if a police car was in sight, but I missed seeing this one police car), the officer said you better get those mufflers fixed (all he had to do was kneel down and look under car, seeing 3 inch open headers, lucky me!

Now this all leads up to a time in mid 90's I had finally some extra funds to start to look for the list of dream cars we individually all wanted in life. I looked for one owners or as few owners to get true history for every car. I was blessed to have a 1969 Z 28, 302, 4 spd, 1966 Chevelle coupe 396, 375 HP, 4 spd, 1967 Chevelle convertible 396, 375 HP, 4 spd, 1968 RT Charger, 426 Hemi with factory two four barrels, auto, had motor built to 600 HP, 1995 Harley springer front, three headlights, turbo charged same teal as 94 ZR 1, Callaway, only 3,500 miles, 1967 Vette, side exhaust, 427, 425 HP, tri power 4 sp, 1967 Vette 427, 425 HP side exhaust convertible, 1970 LT 1, 350, 370 HP, 4 spd, high option leather seats, original 33,00 miles, bought from Bob gold who ran the Bloomington Gold auctions, 1967 drag Camaro SS, 327 stroked to a 331 V8, Doug Nash 5 spd, Dana rear, wheelie bars, roll cage, this car you pop clutch at 8,500 RPM, **** into second gear with wheels in air two feet!, 1970 SS drag Camaro, 350, 255 HP, NHRA J stock motor 255HP, dough Nash 5 spd. I have a very rarer IROC 1998 firebird, it has Dale Earnhardt Sr, name on new paint on car Yellow - Black, and it has Earnhardt's winning IROC paint scheme, 4 spd, 355 V8, car has been all set up at a North Carolina NASCAR team shop for running on road race tracks, never run on a track, sits in my garage, car number 22, know as the camera car, all 20 plus NASCAR Pro drivers all have drove this car for time trials at many tracks, car used for all media, and videos an still photos for True Value Hardware sponsor. Then here finally comes the 1994 ZR 1 Corvette Callaway Twin Turbo, 6 spd, teal, detuned to around 800 HP, the Callaway Monster!

I wish every corvette lover could experience what I'm going to share, revealing my dream, real life experience with Callaway. I wanted to drive a real One of a Kind sleeper, so I looked to find out who builds the number one High Performance Vettes. I finally found out about Callaway who in1988 Reeves Callaway drove the Notorious 1988 Vette called Sled Hammer to a new land speed record of 254.76 MPH, at the 8 mile oval in Ohio, in a car Reeves had drove from Connecticut to Ohio!! Now I new who I wanted to build me the ultimate sleeper Corvette. I looked a long time for a Teal 1994 ZR 1 6 spd, and finally found this car at Bud's Chevy, in Saint Mary's, Ohio, I wired money to dealership bought car over phone, had Buds ship car on roll back directly to my home. I flew down to meet the director of Callaway in Old Lyme, CT, a master engineer, head director most hospital fellow, fun person, super knowledgeable of special build cars, now a long time friend, Mr. Mike Zoner.

Now I must confess, anticipation was built to max, I was so impressed with Callaway team, and Mr. Zoner mannerism's, it truly was like a trip to Disney World. The site, shop was spotless, everyone at Callaway's was nice, full of smiles, you could see on the faces, these employees were so happy to be working for Reeves. This team knows how special each car built at Callaway's is, master pieces. When I was given the tour into the Skunk Works, the Black OPP's, area 51, rooms, WOW, I really like to tell you all what I saw there, but I had to sign NDA's in triplicate, even give blood, so sorry! I was finally taken to Mr. Zoner office to be given the option list, and asked questions what kind of car I wanted built. AS Zoner saw my eyes light up, as I said I want a sleeper, the most powerful, Vette capable of being driven on road courses around USA, and be capable of daily driving around town. The car needs minimum 750 real HP. Then with great confidence , those magic words left Mikes lips, with a small grin, No problem! Here look at the options of what we can give your car. Brembo's, same as Indi cars, coil over suspension, Twin Garret Turbos, a set of special rims RW with gargantuan tiers, send ZF trans to ZF for blueprinting, make special steel half shafts, buy a new special built rear, roll bar, 5 point seat belts, Wa la, my Frankenstein, a Callaway HP Monster was starting to transpire before my eyes. Now know I had to assure Callaway, I was well capable of handling such power, no one wanted a dead guy being reported in media, Vette disintegrated, vaporized(Barry Newman, in his Hemi) at estimated speed of 250 plus MPH, plastered in news. Now all this was the good news, no problem! But the Bad news was such a damper, Barry needs to know if I can pick up car in a month, ha, ha! sorry, were backed up [we can estimate a slot time your car will be started on, no delivery time can be given, due to all the engineering, modifications in motor area, as we do not rush anything here, but deliver all customer their dream cars. so, I had to slow my heart beat down, lower blood pressure, and learn patients! That was tough for me, Sleepless Christmas eve nights, at 7 years old is all that came to my mind, week after weeks., moths, months, then that call came on answer machine, Barry give Callaway a call when you get a chance! What, I been on pins and needles for months, the next thing I knew I grabbed phone quickly, then phone slipped out of hand flew up and got stuck in kitchen 10 foot sheetrock celling!

When I arrived at Callaway’s to look at, pick up car, I was told a very special Callaway story, here it is. When Callaway put my motor on the dyno and Frankenstein was feed its first oxygen, it brought to life the loudest, most powerful motor Callaway ever built, later Callaway found out the neighbors blocks down the street, felt the earth tremble below their feet, a roar like a freight train bounced off their building, sounded like a Tornado, shook their building. Now back in the Callaway shop, the engineers had mile long smiles, no one could take any phone calls, no one could converse in building, everyone in offices reached for ear plugs! Reeves was later heard stating I will never build a more powerful motor then this one, never, it’s just too much HP. Director Mike Zoner thought what would this motor do if put in the Sled Hammer, they dug out the old software developed for project Sled Hammer. To everyone’s peaked interest, the software stated if this motor was installed in 1988 Sled Hammer, the car should go 275MPH! WOW! So the 1994 ZR 1 TT Callaway went into hiding, I kept it in storage, never went to race tracks, barley drove car. It has original near 11,000 miles. To my sadness, I sold off most cars, and this Callaway is now looking for a new owner, capable of enjoying its design, the ultimate sleeper! This is the only high HP Callaway 750 plus HP, and the only one of three made with no body modifications.

If anyone can help to post this letter to main form group, I thank you, as I do not know how to do that! I do really wish each of you could drive or ride in this car, Callaway outgo to keep it, bring it out to Old Lyme track and get paid to let people ride in car! My best to you all, who took time to read this life of mine, I was very blessed, by Creator, fellow Vette enthusiast, Barry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbo NY For This Useful Post:
Callaway Chris (03-19-2019), mazdaverx7 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:10 AM
kdm123
CF Senior Member

Very cool story, Barry. Your car is completely awesome. I actually like this much better than the Speedster ZR1's.

750 horsepower in 1994?!!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Last edited by kdm123; 03-16-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:32 PM
SurfnSun
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10

Great story...come on powerball!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

Beautiful car. The hard part is the price. At 'one of a kind' it is hard to gauge value. A typical 90s Callaway sells for $25-40k in the current market. The Speedsters are, well the Speedsters, and they go for much more. Here we have something more akin to the CR-1s, a Callaway ZR-1, and those go for about $60k-90k. So, yeah the price may be fair. The fact that it was in Vette adds at least a couple of thousand to the price. It shows its unique and is a great conversation piece if nothing else. I hope it sells. The unknown factor of how unique it is will be the main issue. Best of luck with the sale. Would love to have Callaway Chris chime in on value.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 03-18-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Callaway Chris

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
Beautiful car. The hard part is the price. At 'one of a kind' it is hard to gauge value. A typical 90s Callaway sells for $25-40k in the current market. The Speedsters are, well the Speedsters, and they go for much more. Here we have something more akin to the CR-1s, a Callaway ZR-1, and those go for about $60k-90k. So, yeah the price may be fair. The fact that it was in Vette adds at least a couple of thousand to the price. It shows its unique and is a great conversation piece if nothing else. I hope it sells. The unknown factor of how unique it is will be the main issue. Best of luck with the sale. Would love to have Callaway Chris chime in on value.
Agreed, this one, for the money, is hard to beat. The other two ZR-1 Twin Turbos our company built, can be also had, but for $600,000-$1,000,000. Makes this one a relative bargain! And same against the more common CR-1, given this one has an extra ~300 horsepower!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Callaway Chris

Originally Posted by kdm123 View Post
Very cool story, Barry. Your car is completely awesome. I actually like this much better than the Speedster ZR1's.

750 horsepower in 1994?!!

Thanks for sharing your story!
Kinda funny, as the Corvette is just now catching up with power.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 AM
RandomTask
CF Senior Member

11k miles, Is it still under warranty? GLWS. Def a good piece for the right collector.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.