Notices
C4s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C4 Corvettes For Sale as well as Modified or Stock Corvettes

FS: "Barney" 1995 ZR1 Dark Purple Metallic in Barrett-Jackson Northeast Auction.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Karl, who outside the ZR-1 community knows who Automasters, Jim Van Dorn and the Beagle are? Just because you bought Doug Johnson’s old car with its ties to Jim, I understand your value/sentiment/desire for it to be known. But if I go to a Mustang guy and ask him who John Lingenfelter or Jim Van Dorn, who do you think he is going to know.
And like I said there is a critic in every group. If you own a 4th gen Z then I would think that every Z that you see sell would go for as much as possible. Your original comment is quite negative towards the entire 4th gen Z scene. I guess cars built by Mark Haibeck and the other less knows tuners are not worthy either.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:52 PM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Barney

Parked at Mohigan Sun for viewing. What a great, fun experience there!

I just read all the comments with interest. It's sad that a great car like Barney can't bring more money. Yet, a 9000 mile garage queen sold for $38k plus the 10% at the Palm Beach BJ. I understand that he's reported it doesn't start right, run right, and loses oil pressure. It sounds like he's got a lot of things to correct. Yes, I made the same mistake on a nice C4 a few years ago. Instead of the $3k I thought it would be to get it to driving status, it ran $4,700.

Am I correct in that V8 you bought Barney?

Also, to the fellow that said he would have gone more.....where were you? I was told there were online and phone bidders on Tuesday ready for the Friday crossing. Seems people don't do what they're gonna do or say they're gonna do. It did go across the block late after many bidders pack it in for the night.

I am actually glad that it's moved on. I live in South Florida and it's been 90 degrees already for a month.
It's gonna be 95 for 4 more months. I have no garage and had difficulty finding one other than a storage center. There were 85 burglaries and many thefts of cars in a couple county area surrounding my home in the storage centers. One insurance agent said my rate would go up if I placed it in there. Anyway, the car is 25 years old in October. Ghosts start popping up in my environment in South Fla due to the heat and sun. It was time to go to someone who could appreciate it and take care of maintenance.

BTW: I left all the incredible documentation and log of the maintenence from day one. I also left the parts that Hib and Ray sold with the car. There are three spare European tail lights in the parts bag. Someone was looking for them here on the Forum. The factory repair manuals were left too. I do have the two brand new Goodyear Supercar tires (one for front, one for back) and the high-line car cover if anyone's interested. Otherwise I'm gonna Craig's them.

All the best to the buyer. It was certainly one of the very best cars I've ever owned. It was, without a doubt, hands down, the very finest handling I've ever driven. It was fun having the experience of owning and driving it. All the best to the new owner.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:55 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 339 Likes on 262 Posts

I would say $17,500 was a good price considering “Not Red Rob” on this forum bought a 1987 Callaway convertible with 29,000 miles for 16,500 at the auction on Thursday.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:27 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Blehl

Parked at Mohigan Sun for viewing. What a great, fun experience there!

There are three spare European tail lights in the parts bag. Someone was looking for them here on the Forum.

That is me. I wish you sold me a pair before selling the car. Any way to find out who the new owner is?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

Default Tail lights.

I'll call the BJ office tomorrow and see if I can get some information for you.
I'll be in touch.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:26 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,271 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by pushrod-v8
And like I said there is a critic in every group. If you own a 4th gen Z then I would think that every Z that you see sell would go for as much as possible. Your original comment is quite negative towards the entire 4th gen Z scene. I guess cars built by Mark Haibeck and the other less knows tuners are not worthy either.

Multiple Z owner. I don't care what the prices do. I sold my low mile Green 95 car years ago when the getting was good. Still have three of them though. There is no negativity in my comment, the market is what it is.

As far as Marc, he does great work, but ask Warp Ten how much Marc's name added to his selling price. Or go look at Black Dog trying to sell a Marc built 415. They just lowered the price a few weeks ago to get some interest going.

So just be honest with yourself on these cars. They are not going to skyrocket any time soon, if ever. This should put it in perspective a Porsche tractor brought the same price as Barney at BJ.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

That's true....about the Porsche tractor. There was stupid money being thrown at cars that were apparently a well used car that was made to look good. There are cars that just don't have the same supercar equipment or capabilities that go for much more money. The reasons cars sell for high numbers could probably be debated ad infinitum. I'm sure though, that it has to have something to do with what the market is bearing, the hot item of the time, availability, and condition. But, I asked myself...."why does a Chevelle or a fox body Ford go for more?!?". I, for one, will never figure it out. I'm just going to continue to bask in the fact that I owned and enjoyed Barney for the time I had this wonderful car.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:24 AM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Multiple Z owner. I don't care what the prices do. I sold my low mile Green 95 car years ago when the getting was good. Still have three of them though. There is no negativity in my comment, the market is what it is.

As far as Marc, he does great work, but ask Warp Ten how much Marc's name added to his selling price. Or go look at Black Dog trying to sell a Marc built 415. They just lowered the price a few weeks ago to get some interest going.

So just be honest with yourself on these cars. They are not going to skyrocket any time soon, if ever. This should put it in perspective a Porsche tractor brought the same price as Barney at BJ.
Every post I put online says the 4th gen Z is undervalued and most likey will not be going up anytime soon.

Everyone should hope any given Z sells for as much as possible.

I prefer to be a realistic person, but with a glass half full attitude!
Old 07-01-2019, 11:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

They are undervalued and feel thats a lot of car for the $
Unfortunatley too many dont know/care about the history stuff, bet many at BJ never heard of Haibeck or care
The low mi always seem to make buyers foam at the mouth even if its a heap.

I attribute a lot of that to these lame tv shows especially the stories...no driving just old farts telling stories like it has some value. Not!
Maybe that means something on an old fuelie but not a c3, 4 etc. These just arent worth what we think they should be.

How many are at BJ that day that were looking for a nice C4? Bet none except someone who thought it was a good deal
Old 07-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

There were actually many, many people that looked a couple times on different days. There were crowds around Barney numerous times as I talked about it's high level upgrades and history and heavy documentation. I really thought that I would get more bidders. I think some just thought it was going to go much higher and shied away. There really was a tremendous interest over all days and I stayed by the car faithfully to answer questions. I had a sign made up and expensive 5 x 8 cards to hand out. And, when the hood was closed most walked on by. Upon opening the hood, the interest always went highland lots of people stopped.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:25 AM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

There were actually many, many people that looked a couple times on different days. There were crowds around Barney numerous times as I talked about it's high level upgrades and history and heavy documentation. I really thought that I would get more bidders. I think some just thought it was going to go much higher and shied away. There really was a tremendous interest over all days and I stayed by the car faithfully to answer questions. I had a sign made up and expensive 5 x 8 cards to hand out. And, when the hood was closed most walked on by. Upon opening the hood, the interest always went highland lots of people stopped.
Did you ever find out who purchased the car?

I am looking to find the spare euro taillights.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

BTW: there was about 10 other C4's at the auction including a bunch of 1984's thru 1996. Most were 80's C4.
I'm going to review the results later and see what's what.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

I'm calling now.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:25 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

I'm calling now.
Thank you for your help.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

I'm still waiting to hear back from Noah in their office. They will not give me the buyers info and they have not verified that the parts that were held in the Security Office ever made it into the car.
I'll keep you posted.....
Old 07-01-2019, 03:32 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

I'm still waiting to hear back from Noah in their office. They will not give me the buyers info and they have not verified that the parts that were held in the Security Office ever made it into the car.
I'll keep you posted.....
Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Steve Blehl
Intermediate

Default Reply from BJ Yesterday

I called the office again. They will not give me the info for the buyer. They wouldn't even confirm the parts went with the car. I'll try again on Friday.

Get notified of new replies

To "Barney" 1995 ZR1 Dark Purple Metallic in Barrett-Jackson Northeast Auction.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:39 PM
pushrod-v8
Burning Brakes

I called the office again. They will not give me the info for the buyer. They wouldn't even confirm the parts went with the car. I'll try again on Friday.
Thanks there may be some confidentiality agreement with the sale. I will keep my eye out for the car online.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It was a nice car, and the buyer got a good deal in my opinion. I was at the auction the entire weekend, and bought the 87 Callaway Thursday afternoon. These special C4’s are a steal, I have an 1,100 mile 89 Callaway Vert, the ‘87 Callaway Vert, and a 95 ZR1 with the Marc Haibeck 510 package. I’ve built and owned some very nice and cars, but man I love crawling into the “cockpit” of these cars.

Congrats on the sale I wish it had brought more for you.

Rob
Old 07-05-2019, 11:23 PM
Not Red Rob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 655 Likes on 297 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C4 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I reached out once when we sold a 58 Twin Turbo restomod through my consigner, I had forgotten to leave the trunk key in all of the excitement. The other time I just called and told them I needed a bill of sale for my revenue office and they sent me the buyers info.

Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FS: "Barney" 1995 ZR1 Dark Purple Metallic in Barrett-Jackson Northeast Auction.