Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

I desperately need advice with recent Vette purchase off this forum

Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 PM
idreamofvette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I desperately need advice with recent Vette purchase off this forum

As some of you may know, I recently bought the 97 Nassau blue Vette from this link....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1794101&page=3
First off I live in Arizona while I purchased the car from Louisanna. I had it shipped over here and all was good. I bought the car with a "CLEAN" Louisanna title. I go to register it in AZ and BAM! hidden salvage title from Ohio comes up. Somehow the Louisanna DOT gave the previous owner a clean title when they should have issued him a salvage. He told me he didn't think nothing of it....sooo the repercusions of all this is;

1. I cannot purchase collision or comprehensive on my Corvette because of the title descrepency being a salvage.

2. I am being charged 15% interest on a personal loan through my financer instead of a used auto loan at approx. 6%.

3. If I were to ever sell the Corvette to a non-Corvette/performance enthusiast, I would have to sell under a rebuilt-salvage title and wouldn't get peanuts for it.

So basically I'm getting BENT OVER! All this trouble would have been saved it LA DOT would have done their job correctly. I really don't want to go the legal course against the previous owner, but I need some compensation for this hassle. Thanks for any help/advice you guys give me.

Ohh and one more tidbit, the previous owner just received in the mail a letter from the Louisanna DOT saying that they screwed up and issued him a clean title when it should have been a salvage....2 weeks after he sold it to me.

P.S. Mods, if this thread is missplaced in the wrong forum please move it accordingly. I thought it was fitting dealing with a previous thread in the column.

Last edited by idreamofvette; 10-22-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:08 PM
jak112460
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idreamofvette
As some of you may know, I recently bought the 97 Nassau blue Vette from this link....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1794101&page=3
First off I live in Arizona while I purchased the car from Louisanna. I had it shipped over here and all was good. I bought the car with a "CLEAN" Louisanna title. I go to register it in AZ and BAM! hidden salvage title from Ohio comes up. Somehow the Louisanna DOT gave the previous owner a clean title when they should have issued him a salvage. He told me he didn't think nothing of it....sooo the repercusions of all this is;

1. I cannot purchase collision or comprehensive on my Corvette because of the title descrepency being a salvage.

2. I am being charged 15% interest on a personal loan through my financer instead of a used auto loan at approx. 6%.

3. If I were to ever sell the Corvette to a non-Corvette/performance enthusiast, I would have to sell under a rebuilt-salvage title and wouldn't get peanuts for it.

So basically I'm getting BENT OVER! All this trouble would have been saved it LA DOT would have done their job correctly. I really don't want to go the legal course against the previous owner, but I need some compensation for this hassle. Thanks for any help/advice you guys give me.

P.S. Mods, if this thread is missplaced in the wrong forum please move it accordingly. I thought it was fitting dealing with a previous thread in the column.
Honestly, after seeing that burnout video I would not have bought the car. That being said, the owner told you it was not salvage and it is salvage. You need to figure out the value difference between that car as a non salvage and salvage and then figure the difference in dollars over the life of you loan. That is what I would ask for in return. The seller had to have known it was salvage title when he bought the car and then just got lucky or used a trick to get a non salvage title. It would be very helpful to you if you have something in writing stating that the seller claimed the title was clean. This is the problem with "good deals". Buy a nice car at a fair price instead of a cheap deal!!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM
marauderoz
Intermediate

Seller had to have known!!

I would contact an attorney and focus on the seller!

Go get him!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,527 Likes on 520 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

get him, get him good. He knew it was salvage since HE bought it with one originally!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Bobhead99
Advanced

Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by marauderoz
Seller had to have known!!

I would contact an attorney and focus on the seller!

Go get him!

... I'd want a full refund plus all monies + interest you've paid on the loan. Get an attorney immediately.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM
whiteC5TN
Heel & Toe

why didnt you run a carfax on the car? that would have turned up any salvage title history. I know in TN if you transfer a car with a salvage title to TN they issue a CLEAR Title. Which DOES NOT MEAN it doesnt have any salvage title history.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM
MegaAir
Melting Slicks

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Chicago

He must have known
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM
jhelms
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whiteC5TN
why didnt you run a carfax on the car? that would have turned up any salvage title history. I know in TN if you transfer a car with a salvage title to TN they issue a CLEAR Title. Which DOES NOT MEAN it doesnt have any salvage title history.
I agree, if you run a Carfax report now what does it show?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:49 PM
jcorl
Heel & Toe

Default JoplinJim

The prior salvage history titled car will have a devaluation of from 25% to 40% of Actual Cash Value(ACV) depending upon the quality and extent of repair work performed. Get a local insurance adjuster to perform a vehicle evaluation with ACV workup. That should cost you between $100 and $150. That is what I charge here in Missouri. Apply the percentage of devaluation and you know what loss you would be seeking to recoup from the seller. Your legal counsel will want to know this figure, so you might as well get it done. Any public adjuster should be able to perform the evaluation, also.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM
g1k05
Instructor

i am really sorry to hear about this for you. with that said, i do not think i would be purchasing anything with a title(boat, car, etc) from louisiana for the next 5-10 years... i mean they did get slammed with a hurricane, and a lot of vehicles got destroyed.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
idreamofvette
Cruising

Originally Posted by jhelms
It shows a salvage in Kentucky and another one in Ohio...then it comes out clean in Louisanna.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

I would ask for about 5k back from the seller and either deal with the salvage title and high interest rate or sell the car or ask for a refund in full for the car from the seller.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
MegaAir
Melting Slicks

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Chicago

It shows a salvage in Kentucky and another one in Ohio...then it comes out clean in Louisanna.
i hope you paid a salvage price for the car

once a salvage always a salvage, can never put it back to clean... legally that is
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
lakecat
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear. I see he had buds doing some carnival barking for the car too. Some did ask if it had an accident history and he PM'd them instead of making it public. I would PM them and see what he told them.

I would get some legal advice. Don't ever buy a car being pushed so aggressively. They played on your emotions and they won. Chalk it up but I am sorry to see ya possibly conned.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, sounds like you've been hosed.

You have three options.

1. Contact the seller and try to work something out.
2. Chalk this one up as a hard and expensive lesson.
3. Go get yourself some legal council.

Personally your going to likely have to work with option 3.

If something sounds too good to be true . . . . . .
Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
repo
Team Owner

Location: "when lightning strikes twice, the funerals insane, the funerals insane"
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St Jude Donor '14-'15

If the seller was/is a standup guy, he will work with you as painful as it might be. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To I desperately need advice with recent Vette purchase off this forum

Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
jhelms
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks.

Most likely the title washing was done on purpose to sell the car as 'clean' for close to 'clean' value.

I'm guessing you will not get anything from the seller, and if you retain an attorney you will spend more money just to track that down and find that out.

You might be able to go after the seller for some money but I doubt you would ever get any substantial real dollars from them.

This exact situation hasn't happened to me (but similar situations have) and for this car, I'd chalk it up and make it a track car - gut it, drive the heck out of it, enjoy it, etc.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
wuznme
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jhelms

Did you run a Carfax before you bought it?

There is really nothing you can do that would cost less then the difference on a "clean" vs "salvage" car though.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM
str8rcn
Advanced

Heck i used to live in Covington,LA I still know some people there let me know and i can make some phone calls and get someone to "pay him a visit"

All kidding aside I do know alot of people in Covington in the automotive field PM me if I can help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I desperately need advice with recent Vette purchase off this forum