Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

vettehound scam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Niatpac0220
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scam

Scam,,,,,
Old 06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Scams

this is all mental masturbation for sure!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:56 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by kingman
this is all mental masturbation for sure!
Especially since this thread is 4 years old.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found vettehound when I first started looking for a Vette some years ago. After reading the first couple of lines I saw it for what it was and never looked at it again. They must really think people are stupid.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Dontgetburned
1st Gear

Default Vettehound.com 2009 Callaway, ad 10050

There is absolutely no doubt that this is a scam. I know from personal experience. Do not contact the seller because he is fictitious, so is the car, so is the location. This is a very sophisticated scheme to take your money and leave you with nothing. The VIN is 1G1YZ26E695109997. This car should be removed from the site and the 'seller' put behind bars. Don't make the same mistake I did. I did my homework but this and probably many others are out to screw you, big time.

Last edited by Dontgetburned; 08-25-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

unless it's wrecked, a salvage title or has major mechanical issues no one sells cars under MMR.

when you look at completed ebay auctions and NADA clean trade that's bottom of the barrel pricing and those are car to car on what they need

nice cars generally sell close to NADA retail. you may get a bit under that private party or pay a bit over at a dealer but that's the current c5 market

the low prices are in salvage cars. high mile cars with little replaced and on occasion you may find a nice car with a blown up motor the owner just doesn't want to deal with fixing.

never buy a car without seeing it in person unless it's from an obvious reputable dealer. never pay cash for a car until you verify the person you're handing the wad to IS who's name is on the title and that title is free of any leins and clear. if you get the buyers name and vin of the car you can call the dept of motor vehicles to verify that name is connected to that vin

if you do the above you won't get scammed

Last edited by racebum; 08-25-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:42 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

First thing you got to do is a Carfax check. Amazing the number of people who won't spend $35 to find out about a car history for a deal that reaches in tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 PM
leebay
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by kingman
Wake up America!!!!!!!!

There are no steals out there and if the price sounds great then why is it still for sale?

If you have a budget and it's a low one then l would go back a generation so that you can have some money left over for repairs.

In today's world you get what you pay for. If you can't afford to pay the price then buy a Mustang!

Good Luck
Old 08-26-2013, 09:13 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Dontgetburned
There is absolutely no doubt that this is a scam. I know from personal experience. Do not contact the seller because he is fictitious, so is the car, so is the location. This is a very sophisticated scheme to take your money and leave you with nothing. The VIN is 1G1YZ26E695109997. This car should be removed from the site and the 'seller' put behind bars. Don't make the same mistake I did. I did my homework but this and probably many others are out to screw you, big time.
We have gotten many inquiries on that car from folks hoping to get a Callaway for that low of a price. It's a scam, and that car is actually lower than the base Z06 which the car was built upon.

As with ANY Callaway vehicle, one could call our HQ and ask for us to verify it is a real car. Aside from low priced scams like the one in the ad you mention, there are others who have put Callaway decals on their cars, trying to pass along for more profit

We have records on ALL our vehicles back to the first Corvettes built. A quick call is all it takes to help with authenticity. I hope this helps -
Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Dontgetburned
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
We have gotten many inquiries on that car from folks hoping to get a Callaway for that low of a price. It's a scam, and that car is actually lower than the base Z06 which the car was built upon.

As with ANY Callaway vehicle, one could call our HQ and ask for us to verify it is a real car. Aside from low priced scams like the one in the ad you mention, there are others who have put Callaway decals on their cars, trying to pass along for more profit

We have records on ALL our vehicles back to the first Corvettes built. A quick call is all it takes to help with authenticity. I hope this helps -
Thanks for the feed back Chris. My only motive in posting this story is to help others avoid making the same mistake. The payment was supposed to be managed through Amazon Payments where they set up an escrow account to hold the funds until they received authorization from the buyer to release funds to the seller. There were many guarantees to protect the buyer from fraud and the website seemed legitimate. Spoof websites and alias emails were used to fool the buyer when in fact it was all done by the perpetrator. One last word of advise to anyone searching for a nice Callaway Corvette, don't let your own logic and reason be overcome with emotion. This was supposed to be the happiest time in my life and now I'm miserable. Not to mentioned embarrassed and feeling foolish. I'm currently looking for a nice used Z06 and I can guarantee you I will be standing in front of the car when I make the deal. As bad as I feel right now, it's nothing a nice Corvette can't fix.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Dontgetburned
Thanks for the feed back Chris. My only motive in posting this story is to help others avoid making the same mistake. The payment was supposed to be managed through Amazon Payments where they set up an escrow account to hold the funds until they received authorization from the buyer to release funds to the seller. There were many guarantees to protect the buyer from fraud and the website seemed legitimate. Spoof websites and alias emails were used to fool the buyer when in fact it was all done by the perpetrator. One last word of advise to anyone searching for a nice Callaway Corvette, don't let your own logic and reason be overcome with emotion. This was supposed to be the happiest time in my life and now I'm miserable. Not to mentioned embarrassed and feeling foolish. I'm currently looking for a nice used Z06 and I can guarantee you I will be standing in front of the car when I make the deal. As bad as I feel right now, it's nothing a nice Corvette can't fix.

That is awful that someone is going through such extravagances to fool a buyer, playing on emotions. Hang in there!!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 AM
starlightventure
Navigator

60 Million Unique Visitors Monthly VETTEHOUND.COM is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario. This is the biggest fraud I have ever seen on the internet. Most of the c2 corvettes for sale here do not exist. This site is instrumental in knowingly presenting this massive fraud in exchange for advertising dollars. My guess is its only a matter of time until the Canadian Government fines and shut down this site. What VerticalScope does not understand is that they are legally liable for knowingly presenting fraud. This site is the biggest next to the Nigerian letter scam. Their corporate officers could well be on there way to sharing a prison cell with the Enron officers
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 AM
starlightventure
Navigator

60 Million Unique Visitors Monthly VETTEHOUND.COM is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario. This is the biggest fraud I have ever seen on the internet. Most of the c2 corvettes for sale here do not exist. This site is instrumental in knowingly presenting this massive fraud in exchange for advertising dollars. My guess is its only a matter of time until the Canadian Government fines and shut down this site. What VerticalScope does not understand is that they are legally liable for knowingly presenting fraud. This site is the biggest next to the Nigerian letter scam. Their corporate officers could well be on there way to sharing a prison cell with the Enron officers
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Basque1
3rd Gear

I must post this for I almost fell for a bad scam yesterday with a Vette for sale at Vettehound.com. This clown who barely can speak to save his life supposedly from New Mexico is selling a 1967 427 Corvette . According to him this vehicle is award winning, off frame restoration blah blah blah for $25,800.00 yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!! don't bother he claims his business is going bad and needs to raise cash very fast, you know the type.
Here is the link BEWARE BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...hp?a=2&b=11386
Regards
Basque1
Old 04-06-2019, 07:47 AM
Pbernethy
1st Gear

Default C3 scam

Originally Posted by HiLandR
My son was looking at a C3 on that site. What is the scam?
There is a scam currently on Vettehound a blue 69 posted at $12000. It’s complete BS the guy keeps saying the car has moved and won’t provide an address. He wants $6K to ship, Ive forwarded his email to authorities
Old 04-07-2019, 12:38 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

This is the C5 section and this thread was five years old before the latest post. Try posting in the correct section and starting a new thread.

Quick Reply: vettehound scam?