Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

2001 Z06 w/ Lingenfelter 427 & DRM mod's

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM
John Weires
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 Z06 w/ Lingenfelter 427 & DRM mod's

I'm looking to sell my 2001 Z06 with Lingenfelter 427 in Millenium Yellow with black interior. I'm the original owner and a non smoker. It has just under 40,000 miles on it. It has always been garaged and never driven in the winter. It also has lots of modifications from DRM listed below. I want to make room in my garage for a car I can drive year round in the snow etc, as I live in Iowa and travel monthly to Colorado. Price is $49,900. Photo's to come shortly.

It was ordered from Bob Brown Chevrolet in Des Moines, Iowa on 7-11-00 and delivered 2-21-2001. Millenium Yellow was very hard to get on 2001 Z06's so I had to wait. Options chosen were memory package, dual zone A/C, power driver seat, electro-chromatic mirrors, and body side moldings delete. I have the vehicle order request and the window sticker ($49,385). VIN last five digits are 21973.

Vehicle history:
I used the car on the track (as a beginner) from from 2001 through 2004 (before the LPE 427 was installed) about 4-5 times a year. A track session for me probably averaged 60-80 miles. I enjoyed WOT and practiced aggressive cornering but only once all out raced the car for more than a lap or two. I did this to check the effectiveness of the oil, tranny and differential coolers. They work great giving it a lot of endurance where other cars on the track had to pull over.
It out accelerates, out brakes and out corners C6 Z06's, even ones modded to have more power because it's lighter and has more aggressive gearing. It was never in an accident on the track. I spent many thousands of dollars replacing anything that wore out during this time. Importantly, the entire drive train, wheels and tires, the motor plus many other parts have been mostly replaced since I gave up tracking. SEE COMPREHENSIVE LIST BELOW.
I also had a minor street accident in it (Dec 03) where the nose, right front fender and some other miscellaneous things had to be replaced. There was NO damage to the frame or any change in it's riding or handling. NOT a salvage title. I have a copy of the body shop invoice from the local Chevrolet dealership that did the repairs. It has a clean title with no lien.

Work done during May-June 2008:
I spent $15,000 (have all receipts) over this time "restoring" the car to look and run great and replacing anything it needed since I gave up tracking. It has a brand new RPS clutch, transmission (see more info below), and 3:90 differential installed by DRM. Also brand new CCW wheels and Michellin PS-2 tires (see info below) and a partial repaint including the nose, hood and the lower part of the fender wells where rock chips are a problem. The local Chevy dealer (Bob Brown) did the paint and also put a clear bra package on the nose, mirrors and behind each wheel. Also a new battery. I have only about 5000 miles of careful non aggressive street use on it since all the above was done. To the best of my knowledge, everything works on this car except the emergency brake which was disabled on purpose (see below under DRM mod's). Also the hood light and wiring is not installed on it now. The the cigarette lighter does not work because the tranny and differential cooling switches are plugged into it.
*CCW C-14 wheels. 18x10" front, 18x12" rear. Painted Chevrolet Competition Grey.
*Michelin PS-2's. 275-35ZR-18 front and 335-30ZR-18 rear.
*Because the car has been tubbed in the rear, the tires and wheels do not stick out significantly from the wheel wells.
*Original stock wheels long gone.

The Lingenfelter 427 motor was not installed and delivered to me until March 3rd, 2005 with 24685 miles on the odometer. It was only used on the track 3-4 times total in 2005 and hasn't been racing since. So very little track time on this motor and only about 15,000 miles total. I have the dyno sheet with 505 rear wheel horsepower and 489 foot pounds torque. It runs strong and has never had problems. It does exhibit a some what rough idle which is normal for a motor with a lot of camshaft in it. At the time it was built, Lingenfelter claimed it was the most powerful naturally aspirated 427 they had ever built. Gas mileage is still around 24-25 mpg at highway speeds if you drive with a light foot. It does not use any significant oil within the 3000 mile oil change intervals I strictly observe. The brakes are still in good shape and the paint looks very nice as does the interior. The steering lock recall was done. As far as I am concerned the car needs nothing and routinely turns heads. It runs and drives great on the street given it's modifications. It is still extremely track worthy with just a change to racing tires. The LPE 427 motor and exhaust alone cost $29,000, I have receipts.

Modifications performed by Lingenfelter:
*427 Darton motor. Original block bored and sleeved.
*Extra cost options chosen: Polydyne coated bearings, heavy duty timing chain, push rods and lifters. Magnacore plug wires, Fast Intake, 90 mm throttle body, under drive pulley system and LPE yellow fuel rail covers with black LPE lettering. A $400 LPE programmer allows LPE to change the tuning of the motor with out taking the car to LPE.
*Corsa full titanium racing exhaust which is 17.5 lbs lighter than the stock Z06 exhaust. Definitely louder and meaner sounding than stock but does not objectionably drone. I love listening to it.
*Dyno'd at 505 rear wheel horsepower and 489 foot pounds of torque.
I have the dyno sheet.

Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM out of Twin Cities) modifications and work done by:
*Over sized aluminum radiator with built in oil cooler and braided lines.
*Donaldson air filter.
*Heavy duty brake master cylinder. Very hard brake pedal, no fade.
*Braided brake lines.
*Performance Friction racing pads.
*14" front brakes with six piston AP calipers.
*Larger than rear stock front brakes were moved to the rear.
This disables the emergency brake. Going back to stock rotors will allow you to make the emergency brake functional again.
*DRM brake cooling ducts.
*Transmission and differential coolers, switchable on/off from console.
*Tubbed rear wheel wells to accept tires up to 345 width. This causes a small 1-2" gap about 6-8" long where the two pieces of rear carpet no longer meet. It would be easy to tastefully cover this with some fabric/foam.
*GM T-1 sway bars front and rear. Very firm ride, virtually no body roll!
*Polyurethane suspension bushings. Razor sharp steering with some minor suspension squeaking that is normal with these.
*DRM coil over shocks which offer adjustable ride height. The car is
lower than stock but still very streetable.
*DRM stiffer chassis roll bar. I never had a roll cage in it.
*Crowe five point safety harnesses which attach to the DRM bar.
*Sparco racing seats with pass through holes for the safety harnesses.
*String aligned and corner weighted "racing alignment" with camber and caster settings for spirited street driving with out to much negative camber which causes early tire wear.
*RPS single disc clutch. Does require some leg muscles.
*American Racing headers replaced the Kooks that Lingenfelter put on due to ground clearance issues.
*3:90 differential.
*MN6 transmission rebuilt by RPM out of Indiana. Optional RPM level Four with steel shift fork, billet keys and brass pads.
-The total of these modifications (not including replacements like the clutch, headers, transmission, and differential) are in the $20,000 range. I have many but not all of the receipts.

Transmission notes: You may have noticed that a stock C5 Z06 M-12 transmission has a noticeably wide gap between 3rd and 4th gear.
Upon shifting this causes the motor to fall below the optimum torque range slowing acceleration. When I had the transmission rebuilt I chose to use the stock C5 MN-6 gears coupled with a 3:90 rear end. This gives nearly identical final ratios in 1,2,3,5 and 6th gears compared to the Z06 MN6 gears with the stock 3:42 rear end. The difference is a shorter 4th gear which now pulls with very near the same intensity as third gear does yet transitions to 5th gear well. It's a noticeably more wild ride with the MN-6 and 3:90's!

I still have the original Z06 seats, like new, taken out with only 3000 miles on them.

$49,900 price includes the original Z06 seats.

I have a Featherlite aluminum uncovered car trailer so depending on distance and price, I may be able to deliver the car if you prefer.

Track enthusiasts.
If I sell the car, I also may sell my 2002 Featherlite aluminum uncovered car trailer. It is specifically set up to except a lowered car with removable fenders, longer ramps and lock box. $5000.

Photo's of car to follow shortly.

Last edited by John Weires; 01-08-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

I think I've seen this car a few times, looks great and sounds even better!

Interested at all in selling any parts off the car?

I'm also somewhat interested in the trailer as well, I'd love to see some pics.

BUMP for an Iowa guy!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know John's car very well. If anybody has any questions please let me know.

Good luck on the sale John.

Randy
Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
John Weires
Heel & Toe

Hey Randy, Thanks for the plug! How are you and Doug doing? Hope business is OK for you at DRM. The car is running great after all you guys did. Thanks again.

BTW, I'm not interested in selling parts off the car. If I sell the car, then I will consider selling the trailer but not before.

PHOTO'S SHOULD BE COMING TOMMORROW 1-8.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John Weires
Hey Randy, Thanks for the plug! How are you and Doug doing? Hope business is OK for you at DRM. The car is running great after all you guys did. Thanks again.

BTW, I'm not interested in selling parts off the car. If I sell the car, then I will consider selling the trailer but not before.

PHOTO'S SHOULD BE COMING TOMMORROW 1-8.
We are doing great. Besides we lost Annie our shop dog today We are staying busy and more importantly warm.

Doug and I are both out racing vettes so life is damn good.

Randy
Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
John Weires
Heel & Toe

Randy,

Sorry to hear about your dog. I lost one in May that I still can't get over.
Best thing to do is to get another one, but one that is a different breed so that you don't expect it to BE like the one you lost.

Thanks to you guys, my Z06 has never driven or run better. I hate to sell it but need a second car I can use driving to Colorado and don't have enough garage space with out selling it.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice car man.. bump for you

Also, while we're on the subject I'll go ahead and give some good ups to Doug and the crew out there at DRM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 Z06 w/ Lingenfelter 427 & DRM mod's

Quick Reply: 2001 Z06 w/ Lingenfelter 427 & DRM mod's