Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

Looking for C5 under 85000 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Looking for C5 under 85000 miles.

Hello,

I am looking for a C5 coupe or convertible (no FRC's please) with under 85000 miles. I would be interested in it at $14,500 or under. Would be interested in Torch red, Sebring silver, Black, or Yellow preferibly. Not interested in Pewter, White, Nassaue Blue, or burgandy. Either 6-speed or automatic. Prefer black or grey interior but on the right car light oak may be ok. I have cash in hand.

OK guys.............Since I posted above, I changed my mind. Went and test drove a couple this week. I think I want to go with a 6speed over the automatic. And I would now be willing to do a FRC, Coupe, or vert. In any color other than Light Pewter Metallic. Still would like to be around 85000 miles and around $14,500 or so

Any body have anything that seems to fit? I've looked at a few on this forum but it seems they sell fast!

Thank you guys!!!! Can't wait to find one!!!!!

Tyler Williams

Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 03-14-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

You will have the best luck on Craig's list but the nice cars that are priced right sell very quickly so you must be vigilant in checking the listings for the areas around you once or twice a day.

I have bought about 25 of them and have found that the best time to buy is April-June because there are the most vettes on the market then and the competition is fierce between them to find buyers.

I picked up two very nice converts in the last year or so from original owners for Edmunds.com trade in value. The last one had 2,751 miles. every option, like brand new and I got it for trade in value.

To figure out what to offer just go to the following link and go to the "Appraise a Used Car" section:

http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/

I paid $13k for this very loaded mint condition original owner 2001 convert:

Last edited by RJRSW; 03-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Great Buy!!! I wish sooo bad I could find a deal like that!!! I am going later today to look at a 98 black coupe automatic with 62000 miles. Dealer wants 15500. I know dealers mark up like crazy but that that this was a decent price for dealer. I plugged this info into the edmunds link you gave and it showed trade in at $8,012 and retail at $11,013. Does this seem way off to anyone?? That is WAY less than I expected nor see cars priced at. I understand the dealers are gonna not be my best bet as they mark way up, but even private sellers aren't anywhere near close to this. NADA's website had retail at nearly $17K for the same car. I know any vet is worth what someone is willing to pay and its different than other cars, etc. etc.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
Great Buy!!! I wish sooo bad I could find a deal like that!!! I am going later today to look at a 98 black coupe automatic with 62000 miles. Dealer wants 15500.
You just need to be patient or you will overpay and remember that a comparable convert is worth at least $2-3k more than a similar car that is a coupe.

KBB is owned by AutoTrader and NADA by the Automobile Dealers Assn and they are inflated by at least 10-15% from what cars are really selling for. It is what people are paying and not what sellers are asking that determines actual value. A good place to find what cars actually sold for is on eBay. Do a nationwide search for cars similar to what you are looking at and then select the "Completed Auctions" link in the left column. The cars that actually sold selling prices are in green and that will give you a close idea what the true and real current value is. Also look at the ones that didn't sell and see what the highest bids were and that also is a good estimate of the true market value.

I also seriously suggest and very much recommend that you buy a 2001 or newer because most all the problems of the 97-2000 cars were addressed. The following is a good guide when comparing the differences year to year on C5's and as you will see most all the corrections and improvements occurred by the 2001 model year and very little in the following 3 years.

"C5 Yearly differences in models

• Completely new, redesigned Corvette. Base (FE1) and Z51 (FE3) suspension packages.
• All Z51 cars include: Power Steering Cooler, xx, xx, ??
• 97-00 C5 LS1's produce 345 HP @ 5600 RPM and 350 Ft Lbs of torque @ 4400 RPM.

• Convertible becomes available
• Active Handling becomes available late in year
• The two slots of a 1998 (and possibly late 1997s) curve toward the rear at the bottom. (versus straight down)

• 26# injectors substituted for 28#
• Fuel pump revised to reduce noise
• FRC "Fixed Roof Coupe" aka the hardtop, becomes available. All FRC's are MN6 (6-speed) cars with the Z51 suspension package, and are about 60lbs lighter than coupes.
• HUD introduced
• only one line in driver's side fuel rail cover (no fuel return line?)
• Power telescoping wheel becomes an option
• ? Steering hardware changed to combat wandering
• door sill trim plates added

• Millennium Yellow available
• ? "Thin Spoke" versus "wagon wheel" design wheels become standard.
• Pup cats added to CA models for LEV emissions requirements (5hp loss relative to 97-99)
• Steel swaybar endlinks instead of plastic on Z51 equipped cars
• Z51 swaybar diameters grow (25.4/21.7 to 28.6/21.7 to 28.6/23.6 (note: new rear same as Z06)
• No keyhole on passenger side doorhandle
• Passenger airbag 'off' switch added to console (light by TC/AH button)

• return to 28# injectors for all models.
• Second Generation Active Handling
• Nassau Blue discontinued
• Alternator 'clutch' pulley added on A4 cars
• New soundproofing + foam in all cars
• Smaller keyfob
• electrochromic dimming rearview and driver's mirrors
• lighter AGM battery
• Thickness + Material in vert change
• Chrome exhaust tips for coupe + vert
• 85MM MAF with integral temp sensor (versus 74mm with separate plug for IAT)
• LS1 cam profile changed to: .500/0.500, 198/208 on 115.5LSA (From: 0.472/0.479, 202/210 on 117)
• All Corvettes now have the LS6 intake manifold
• All Corvettes now have the LS6 engine block (windage passages in block), which includes a beefier oil pump.
• LS1 changes result in new output of 350 HP @ 5200 RPM and 375 Ft Lbs of torque @ 4400 RPM (MN6)
• Hardtop/FRC discontinued
• Pup cats added to all models
• Stronger synchros in all transmissions
• Exhaust manifolds revised (5hp regained) - thin wall cast replacing SS manifolds
• metal valvestem caps (late year)
• Torque Tube changed from metal-matrix composite to aluminum alloy 6061, increased in dia from 55 to 63 mm.
• Driveshaft couplings have also been upgraded on manual-equipped models for additional strength and durability
• Introduction of the Z06, which has as differences:
o hardtop body style
o rear brake ducting
o screened inlets on front fascia, without foglights
o F1 supercar tires 265-17 front, 295-18 rear, on 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 (one inch wider, respectively
o new LS6 top-end with new style head design (10.5:1 compression, 64cc chamber), LS6 cam (0.525/0.525, 204/211 on 116) - 385hp
o M12 transmission with shorter gearing (1-2-3 analagous to MN6 with 3.90 rear diff
o Titanium exhaust system
o lightweight windshield
o New, stronger clutch with redesigned master + slave cylinder
o Stronger rear differential (shotpeened ring gear)
o Red brake calipers (otherwise identical)
o Trans overtemp warning light on DIC
o 6500 redline gauges with special checkering + Z06 font
o redesigned PCV system to help combat oil burning
o Red LS6 Fuel Rail Covers (FRC's)
o FE4 Z06 suspension - uprated springs, bars (30mm/23.6mm), shocks (note front spring and rear bar same as Z51)

• Z06 Changes:
o Z06 LS6 cam changed to: 0.551/0.547, 204/218 on 117.5
o Less restrictive intake airbox lid
o Descreened MAF
o Removal of pup-cats (total with changes = 405hp)
o Z06 shocks revised with less rebound for better launching
o Z06 brake pads revised for better stopping (generate more dust)
o Lighter, sodium filled valves w/ stronger valvesprings
o higher tension rings installed to prevent oil burning problems
o slight piston redesign *
o clutch strength upgraded.
o HUD available on Z06 (not avail '01 model year)
o Wheel supplier changed to Speedline, moved from forged to cast. Weight nearly identical
• Electron Blue color offered
• Steel endlinks changed to aluminum

• Late model-year new fuel system design from C6's

· Z06 shocks further refined. Accompanying upper front control arm bushing, and rear swaybar bushing changes."

Last edited by RJRSW; 03-13-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Edited original post above.....

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for C5 under 85000 miles.

Quick Reply: Looking for C5 under 85000 miles.